I accidentally forgot to plug my cab into my Valveking combo, and I was playing and turning the volume up and down hearing the guitar coming from the amp, but it wasn't changing anything. Then I looked at my cabinet and realized I had forgotten to plug it in, which blew me away. I didn't have the amp's speakers plugged into the second jack, just a single cable extended to my cabinet and it was unplugged at the cab's end.

As well, when I looked in the rear of the amp, still plucking and muting a string, I noticed the blue glow in the tubes would stutter quite a bit, jumping sort of. I know while the cabinet is plugged in that they do not do that. Just thought I'd throw that in as it confused me.

Anyone know why I was still hearing a sound even though I didn't have the cab plugged in?
That's your transformer acting like a speaker. When there's no loud the circuit will feedback into your transformer. What you hear is the sound of your output transformer committing suicide.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror
That's your transformer acting like a speaker. When there's no loud the circuit will feedback into your transformer. What you hear is the sound of your output transformer committing suicide.

A girl friend did this to the SLO, for a week.
7 posts in on a non pit thread and we're already on dicks penetrating asses. A new low for ultimate guitar?

I like it anyway. This thread already shows so much promise.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
First off, if its a combo amp like you said, it has a speaker built into it. In any case, running an amp without a speaker will destroy the amp very quickly.
Quote by AcousticMirror

should mic it up and get some actual 'amp on the verge of death' toanz.