I got kind of a shitty bass, got it off GumTree a while ago for ten pounds its a Wesley. However I am not a bass player I prefer lead but I do like to learn bass and get a feel for that as it is a nice change, this is why a suggestion of save some money and get a better bass is out of the question. I have been learning slap bass and I found these strings which are neon multicolored and geared towards funk, exactly what I want. However is it worth putting these strings on a shitty bass? Should I go with it as its the only way I am likely to make it sound better or no?
Sure, strings do make a big difference. Wouldn't necessarily bother with ones that are multicoloured though! You can't hear the colour...
Quote by tommylaws16
I got kind of a shitty bass, got it off GumTree a while ago for ten pounds its a Wesley. However I am not a bass player I prefer lead but I do like to learn bass and get a feel for that as it is a nice change, this is why a suggestion of save some money and get a better bass is out of the question. I have been learning slap bass and I found these strings which are neon multicolored and geared towards funk, exactly what I want. However is it worth putting these strings on a shitty bass? Should I go with it as its the only way I am likely to make it sound better or no?

I would get it setup.I got a peavey milestone off someone who didn't look after it.I put new strings on it and it sound a bit better then I got it worked by a pro who had to do some fret redressing and some general setup work.When I got it back it was a completly different instrument.Well worth the work.
I wouldn't spend too much money on strings. New strings will sound like new strings. There are really not that big differences between two different strings of the same type (and that's more about your own preferences). Relatively cheap strings can be good. Very cheap strings may have problems with quality (they may break easier or go dead faster), though I have no experience with really cheap strings. Just get Rotosounds or whatever. They are not expensive. The stainless steel ones (Swing Bass) are kind of a standard - a lot of players use those. They are bright strings, should work well for slap bass.

I wouldn't buy multi color strings. You'll pay extra for the looks. If you like the look, whatever, buy them. But if you just want a good sound, pretty much anything will work, as long as it's the right type (I mean, if you are after a bright tone, you don't want flatwounds, and on the other hand, if you are after a warmer, not that aggressive tone, you don't want stainless steel rounds). The tonal differences between two different strings of the same type are not going to be that big. There are differences between how long the strings will last, though. Elixirs are known for their long life, but they also cost a lot. Some strings will go dead a lot faster than others. But the sound of a new set of strings is going to be pretty similar, regardless of the brand.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115