Where I live, it's hard to find much more than run-of-the-mill guitars, amps, pickups, etc. The best place I can use to get an idea of what something sounds like is Youtube, and that's not all that great.

What makes it really bad is when someone is giving a demonstration of the sound, and he's using a lot of amp and/or pedal distortion, reverb, slapback, or other effects. How can you judge a sound with all of that in the way? It's hard enough to judge when you don't know what amp is being used.

Rant over.
Amen. You are 100% correct. I rant about it all the time on Youtube. Almost every time someone's doing a new guitar video they play everything through a cloud of distortion. You can't tell from the sound if they are playing a $3,000 Les Paul or a $100 Bullet Strat.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
Last edited by Rickholly74 at Dec 11, 2015,
agree it can be tough to judge by vids. all guitar demoes should include clean amp sound with no fx and just use the amp's distorton rather than pedals.

fx pedal demoes can be even worse as they rarely seem to sound the same as when i try them in person. recording quality is another big issue as if the demo isn't well recorded then it often sounds like crap and defeats teh purpose.
Independent youtube demo people aren't really professionals. I guess some videos are over the top bad, with terrible recording, unhelpful guitar playing and bad product demonstration (not showing much of what a pedal/amp can do by not adjusting controls from 0-10 etc). Still, what do you expect? A lot of the time these are just some average joes who fancied making a video. I don't expect them to really know what they're doing.

Not micing and mixing properly is a huge factor of this. Same as having not great recording gear, although the amount of people with an sm57 that still muck up is quite large. Also there's youtube compression and bad upload quality to consider.

For a lot of big brand, and sometimes small brand, products there are gems from random people who DO know what they're doing and there are often professional demos which tend to be good, but are sometimes bad. If you don't mind a lot of banter, Rob Chapman doing videos for Andertons is quite good. An independent guy with examples of good pedal reviews would be Nick Casale, but he doesn't have that many and does a lot of more obscure pedals.

But for most independent youtube demos, I agree.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 11, 2015,
There's also the videos where they demo a 150$ guitar, but play it through an 800$ amp...

Most people who are going to buy that cheap guitar are beginners who probably have a 10w modelling amp, and since they don't know much about gear and stuff, they expect the guitar to sound just as good as it did on the video.

Ridiculous and misleading.
Quote by DanyFS
There's also the videos where they demo a 150$ guitar, but play it through an 800$ amp...

Most people who are going to buy that cheap guitar are beginners who probably have a 10w modelling amp, and since they don't know much about gear and stuff, they expect the guitar to sound just as good as it did on the video.

Yeah, it's quite funny when that happens. I reckon for guitars of around that range a good fender mustang amp would do.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
As bad as some YT review videos are, some are not bad, and I tend to think of them as only a small part of making future gear decisions. If I'm really interested in buying something, I will make an attempt to watch as many reviews as possible, and if I still like it -- I'll try to find a store that has one.

Furthermore, I'd rather have mediocre reviews available than none at all. I think some people become spoiled with the Internet.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
It's free so the signal to noise ratio is pretty low. Dig deep enough and you can find a few gems though. #getwhatwepaidfor
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by DanyFS

sorry disagree. playing a cheap guitar thru a good amp will show all the guitar is capable of. seems to me that if i was buyig a cheapie i'd want to know if it can sound half way decent. a $4000 guitar will sound no better thru a 10 watt modeling practice amp than that $150 guitar so what is the point of using one for a demo
Quote by monwobobbo
agree it can be tough to judge by vids. all guitar demoes should include clean amp sound with no fx and just use the amp's distorton rather than pedals.

fx pedal demoes can be even worse as they rarely seem to sound the same as when i try them in person. recording quality is another big issue as if the demo isn't well recorded then it often sounds like crap and defeats teh purpose.

On top of recording quality, the playback quality is also a problem. You aren't listening to a guitar through an amp. You're listening to a guitar through an amp through X. And I imagine that X is quite often inbuilt laptop speakers, poorly driven headphones or a basic 2.1 computer speaker set.
Quote by monwobobbo
sorry disagree. playing a cheap guitar thru a good amp will show all the guitar is capable of. seems to me that if i was buyig a cheapie i'd want to know if it can sound half way decent. a $4000 guitar will sound no better thru a 10 watt modeling practice amp than that $150 guitar so what is the point of using one for a demo

Yes, I have thought about that as well. But you see, as I mentioned, it can be misleading to beginners. They won't notice the amp being used and will be like: "Oh my, this guitar sounds amazing and it's sooo cheap, gonna really buy it!"

When they get the guitar and plug it to their practice amp, they will get disappointed because they can't sound as good as the guy who demoed the guitar with a high end amp.

I can see your point though, and it's totally valid. But there's really 2 sides of the coin.
Watching some guy shred-turbate all over his fretboard doesn't tell me a thing about how an instrument or an amp sounds.

Drop A? Chunking with hammer/pull off stuff? I get that a lot of folks like playing with different setups. But most of the videos I stumble across are mostly catered to the metal guys. Does anyone play in E standard anymore? That's probably the most base-line you can get. I can't think of the last time I saw a high quality demo on Youtube that uses a six string in E standard.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by DanyFS
Yes, I have thought about that as well. But you see, as I mentioned, it can be misleading to beginners. They won't notice the amp being used and will be like: "Oh my, this guitar sounds amazing and it's sooo cheap, gonna really buy it!"

When they get the guitar and plug it to their practice amp, they will get disappointed because they can't sound as good as the guy who demoed the guitar with a high end amp.

I can see your point though, and it's totally valid. But there's really 2 sides of the coin.

although i see what you are getting at it's still a bit misguided. if a beginner isn't bright enough to figure that the guy in the demo is probably using something better than a cheap practice amp and will most likely sound way better playing the guitar that's on them. again if the beginner can't understand why after only having played for ____ he doesn't sound as good then again on them. it seems to me that knowing that a guitar could sound decent would be more useful then saying here's how it sounds thru some cheap ass amp.

as we get many guys on here that wonder why they can't nail (fill in guitar hero here) tone using subpar gear i do see what you are getting at but being dumb is no excuse. i would hope that if you take the time to research gear that you'd have enough sense to know that many demos are geared toward selling a piece of gear and that you have to take them all with a grain of salt.
My complaint is they never play a song, the playing, most the time not all the time, is imbecilic. It seems most the time it's a demonstration of THEIR hottest riffs and rarely do we hear a nice long note to hear how the note on the piece of equipment in question blossoms. This seems trivial but it is very important.

I could go on forever but you don't want to read what I write anyway.
"Today I'm here to show you this ambient reverb pedal."

*plays blues-y dadrock riffs.*
Quote by MeTallIcA313

*plays blues-y dadrock riffs.*

This is really the worst part about those videos.

They all play the same trash music
My God, it's full of stars!
how is this thread in the pit and not from 2006
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
I never have found it hard to find good YT demos of a piece of equipment. Of course there are the chap/chappettes who record "demos" with a shoddy camera mic and with their gross feet in the shot. But for the most part I can find good demos on just about anything, with proper micing, acoustic proofing, and whatnot to show an accurate view of the item. Part of that is trial and error to find which YT channels have good demos or not...
Quote by DanyFS

Quote by monwobobbo
Yes, most pieces of equipment really have the potential to sound good as long as they are used correctly and the user knows what they are doing. If the consumer (beginner or not) does not have that ability in the first place (either in playing ability or equipment) then it is really their own fault. Plus, a lot of demoers are endorsed or even employed by a company so from a business standpoint they have to sell a product. Often the imaginary beginner we are talking about is a young teen and they make bad decisions anyway so.

Another facet is that some products cannot be shown properly without relatively expensive (or at least not beginner-level) equipment. For instance, drive pedals often do not work with SS modeling amps (or SS amps in general). And using an item in the same tier to help support the product could be just as "misleading" as using a higher-tier item. If the consumer is not willing to research and learn how to use the product, again that is on them.

Really the majority of the issue is not even the product and its supporting equipment, but the consumer's lack of playing ability and experience that leads to a stark difference between what they heard on the demo and what they hear from their own hands.
Quote by KailM
As bad as some YT review videos are, some are not bad, and I tend to think of them as only a small part of making future gear decisions.If I'm really interested in buying something, I will make an attempt to watch as many reviews as possible, and if I still like it -- I'll try to find a store that has one.

Furthermore, I'd rather have mediocre reviews available than none at all. I think some people become spoiled with the Internet.
+1. Most often I also ask on forums as well.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 11, 2015,
I hate when they spend 5 minutes discussing the thing they are demoing and 1 minute actually demonstrating it
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Baby Joel
how is this thread in the pit and not from 2006

i thought this was a necro too

sunaj
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I've made a couple of Youtube videos on modifications to my Fender Super Reverb Reissue. One was comparing the stock Jensen speakers to Webers speakers. The other was comparing 1970's vintage RCA and Sylvania 6L6GC power tubes to Ruby, Tungsol, and Svetlana.

The videos are boring, unless viewed by someone who wants to hear the difference. I started each video with an A chord with the Jensen speaker, then an A chord with the Weber, then a B with Jensen, then a B with Weber, etc. I did the same thing with the tubes. One brand, one chord, next brand, same chord, etc.

If I listen to someone play just a few bars, then switch to the other brand, I've forgotten a lot of the sound.

I'd love to hear such a comparison between a Carvin and a Fender Strat.