I recently purchase an Ibanez S520 and had it setup at the local Long and Mcquade here in Atlantic Canada. When I got the guitar back from them the action was set much higher than my 1.5-2mm preference at the 12th fret (maybe 4mm if I had to guess).

So I asked the tech if we could bring it down to my preferred height and after a long discussion about how the nut height effects the overall possible string height, his answer was basically "Not if you would like to be able to play it without dead notes and a lot of buzzing.

So I asked him which Ibanez he would recommend, he then gave me the tour of all of the (all non premium and non prestige) Ibanez guitars in the shop and pointed out the incorrect factory set height of the Ibanez locking nut system leading to difficulty achieving even, reasonably low string height along the neck without buzzing.

This is coming from a well respected tech around these parts so I won't discount what they said without further investigation.

He also mentioned the entry to mid level Jackson's appear to be better in this regard.

I know this probably looks like a plug for Jackson but I really just want to buy a quality guitar, and I don't feel great about moving up to the Ibanez premium guitars if they are currently nerfing the string height on the budget models for no good reason.

I'm open to other brands as well, I really like the S series body shape and Jackson appears to have discontinued any competitive guitars with the thin body.
Just set the guitar up yourself.

If there are any dead notes, get the frets levelled.

Simple.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Sounds like he was trying to scam you into buying a more expensive guitar. Since Long & McQuade is a chain you should complain to their corporate offices and have them fix the setup at a different location.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Just set the guitar up yourself.

If there are any dead notes, get the frets levelled.

Simple.

The performance warranty doesn't cover a fret level. So that's an extra 100-150$ into a 400$ guitar.
Quote by jpnyc
Sounds like he was trying to scam you into buying a more expensive guitar. Since Long & McQuade is a chain you should complain to their corporate offices and have them fix the setup at a different location.

Is this a serious reply? Did you read my post?
So i'm to believe the guitar tech simply added some extra wood under the locking nut on every Ibanez in the shop to convince people to buy the more expensive stuff? I played the guitar myself, the nut is to damn high with no shims to remove and the strings buzz a 4mm off the board. Besides that I was also informed equally priced Jackson's don't have this issue.
I read your post. And I still think it's more likely that a chain store guitar tech is full of shit than Ibanez suddenly throwing forty years of great guitar making away and selling crap guitars.
My Ibanez is a new RG with a locking nut and my action is very low. It is about 2mm on the bass side and slightly less than 1.5 mm on the treble. I did the set up my self with no issues. I am at work and can't measure the string height at the first fret right now but I do believe the nut is at a proper height. The setup is great. It has the cheap floyd rose knock off and it stays in tune through a lot of whammy abuse.
Guitar shop guys tend to have a predisposition against anything that isn't fender or gibson. Or american based companies in general. Low action is kind of a synonomous thing with ibanez guitars.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Quote by mik James
The performance warranty doesn't cover a fret level. So that's an extra 100-150$ into a 400$ guitar.

Spending $140 on getting a few frets sanded is silly money. Over here, I can get frets fully levelled and dressed for £40.

Your guitar might've cost you $400 when you bought it, but it'll only be half that now. You're losing more money if you were to sell it and buy an equivalent guitar (with not guarantees whatsoever that the frets on that guitar will be level either) than if you were to level the frets on the guitar you currently have.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Dec 11, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Spending $140 on getting a few frets sanded is silly money. Over here, I can get frets fully levelled and dressed for £40.

Your guitar might've cost you $400 when you bought it, but it'll only be half that now. You're losing more money if you were to sell it and buy an equivalent guitar (with not guarantees whatsoever that the frets on that guitar will be level either) than if you were to level the frets on the guitar you currently have.

L&M happens to have a return policy that I took advantage of
I'll just wait till boxing day and buy something else. I'm not just going to buy and return guitars continuously when there are other brands to choose from.

If no one else on here has noticed this issue then that's great, hopefully it is just an isolated crop of guitars.
Buying from other brands is still not going to guarantee that you'll have a guitar with level frets. There's a considerable chance that you could return the guitar you currently have with one of the same model and have the frets be perfect. Guitars by their nature cannot be made with great consistency, even at the best of times.

Its your money at the end of the day, but that is something that needs to be pointed out.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by mik James

This is coming from a well respected tech around these parts so I won't discount what they said without further investigation.

I've heard more BS coming from sources typified as "well respected techs" than I care to count these days.

ALL of this can be fixed and you CAN get nice, tight low action from your guitar. You just need to find a well respected COMPETENT tech around your parts.
Quote by dspellman
I've heard more BS coming from sources typified as "well respected techs" than I care to count these days.

ALL of this can be fixed and you CAN get nice, tight low action from your guitar. You just need to find a well respected COMPETENT tech around your parts.

Of course it can be fixed. It just isn't covered in the warranty.
The techs words went something like: "I'd have to basically remove the nut and sand down the slot, then level the frets, then setup the guitar a second time.

So about 150$ Cad at L&M if past experience rings true. Sure I could luck out and find a solo guitar tech who will do it for half that. Or they could run off with my instrument never to be seen again

If you guys know of a reputable shop who will do all of the work required on a guitar that retails for 550$ and was on sale for 369$ (Basically their profit margin or more), then by all means clue me in. Otherwise I might as well just move on to something else and hope for something better.