So I recently threw a Duncan Distortion in my Strat's bridge, and while it's a good pickup, I feel like it lacks some of the punch/tightness I love coming from a DiMarzio Evolution. I've heard seriously good things about the JB in an alder body, so I'm considering one of them. I was also looking at the Alternative 8 for a punchy progressive metal rhythm sound. If nothing else, I could just go with another Evolution, but I'm concerned it might be too bright in an alder Strat, as my experience with it is in a mahogany Ibanez S. Opinions?

Also, the Distortion is just crazy loud. I know it's a high output pup, but so is my Evolution, and it's easily a third as noisy as the Distortion. Unless there's something wrong with the pickup itself.

Thanks in advance.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Last edited by an.interloper at Dec 11, 2015,
Maybe try a Dimarzio PAF or PAF Joe? It is a bit dark in mahogany body but it should sound really good in your situation and it will get you back the definition that you need.

The Duncan Distortion is definitely noisier than the Evolution from what I can remember.
The Duncan Distortion is tighter than the JB by quite a margin
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I know the JB is popular, but it sounded like mud in my guitar, and I swapped it in short order. I personally would go for something vintage weight or just a little more, up to say 10K ohm. I use a SD Jazz in both bridge and neck positions, but the PAF Joe is one my "try" list.
^ yeah I like the JB in my G400 and that is a type of guitar that people seem to like the JB the least. It has lots of mid range growl but it can get flubby very quick.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
JB's are very weird in that they can sound amazing in some guitars but not in others.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
OK so it's seeming that the JB is gonna be too loose. I've got experience with the PAF Pro, but none with the Mo'Joe, or the PAF Joe. Consensus seems to be the Joe/Mo'Joe so far. Any opinions on the Breed? Alternative 8? Pegasus, maybe? I've only started getting to modding recently, and don't have a ton of time with different pickups.

Thanks for the replies so far - it's already helpful.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com
the distortion or the black winter I plan to put into one of my guitars during the winter when I finish getting this higher end desktop.

there is a lot you can do to work with a pickup, here's some suggestions , lets start cheap

free .. .wow!
adjust the pickup height
adjust the pickups pole pieces
both sound silly but it's something a lot of people don't bother doing I've known

cheap
if you can't get a pickup tight enough the fender greasebucket mod , its passive and you can do it if you can install pickups

a different pick , sounds silly but they pretty much give them away for free, i liked john petrucci jazz III on some guitars, aluminum dunlops on another , usually my go to is 1.5mm gators as i pick very hard. All do different stuff for me

and finally , string material , not just brand, but see what stainless steel , pure nickle , titanium and all the other stuff out there offers , put it this way we cough the wrong way and can sell it to guitarists. Pure nickle I love on certain guitars for more bass and mids.

here's the greasebucket, it can be applied to any guitar with passive pickups, the higher the output the better as lots of trebley bite like the JB, Invader and X2N this is your friend. If I could make a BC Rich BDSM bridge pickup go clear anything is possible. One thing to mention is you don't need the 4.7k resistor, unlike a regular tone knob this cuts bass instead, so a clearer sound , no harsh highs, premier guitar did an excellent article on this.

the best way to do this is on google images but it won't pop up when i edit this post
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 11, 2015,
Quote by an.interloper
OK so it's seeming that the JB is gonna be too loose. I've got experience with the PAF Pro, but none with the Mo'Joe, or the PAF Joe. Consensus seems to be the Joe/Mo'Joe so far. Any opinions on the Breed? Alternative 8? Pegasus, maybe? I've only started getting to modding recently, and don't have a ton of time with different pickups.

Thanks for the replies so far - it's already helpful.

I have experience with SD Alt 8 and Dimarzio Breed.

1.Avoid the SD Alternative 8 if you've a bright toned amp and/or guitar. It's way too bright for what you want.

2.The Dimarzio Breed is the polar opposite of the Evolution as it's not a screamer that will melt your face off.

Think of it like a 50's original PAF pickup that's a tad bit hotter and that's what the Breed is imo.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Check out the dimarzio norton
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Tallwood, thanks for the in-depth response. I've worked with all of those save for the Grease Bucket, which I'll hold off as a last resort if I can't find another pickup voicing I dig.

Quote by dark Mass
I have experience with SD Alt 8 and Dimarzio Breed.

1.Avoid the SD Alternative 8 if you've a bright toned amp and/or guitar. It's way too bright for what you want.

2.The Dimarzio Breed is the polar opposite of the Evolution as it's not a screamer that will melt your face off.

Think of it like a 50's original PAF pickup that's a tad bit hotter and that's what the Breed is imo.

Sounds like the Breed is too warm/mellow, and through an Alder Strat, the Alt 8 is gonna be too bright. Thanks.

Dspellman, I appreciate the applause. I always knew I was destined for the appreciation of the masses.

Quote by JLT73
Check out the dimarzio norton

Strange, but I was looking at this one. I really like the PAF Pro I've got in my old Washburn, and the Norton seems a bit hotter, but not too hot like the Distortion and retaining that awesome pronounced articulation the PAF Pro gives me.

After digging, I'll probably go with the Norton or maybe a Tone Zone, which has a nice fat low end punch without a massive heap of output.

silentfall.bandcamp.com
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Duncan Distortion is tighter than the JB by quite a margin

that's what i'd have thought. i haven't compared them in the same guitar, but yeah.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
JB's are very weird in that they can sound amazing in some guitars but not in others.

that too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?