Hello!

Recently I've started to fall in love with the sound of strats, a sound that's never caught my interest one bit before. I love the kind of punch it provides on cleans (and with distortion aswell!), so this sound really differs from my Telecaster 72 Deluxe with humbuckers.
So I thought why not look into buying a strat, or atleast get started getting to know all these different strats available.

So what would I be using this strat for?
Honestly, I don't really know, but I feel like it's necessary to add it to my arsenal. I guess I'd use it for a lot of reggae/ska, since I play in a ska/punk band.
This leads to me not being willing to spend too much money on this guitar.
So my budget would be perhaps 350-450 USD? To be honest I don't know how far this will get me, but I am very much willing to buy second hand and I do NOT require a Fender if there's a better alternative available.
I live in Gothenburg, Sweden if that interests any of you...

So, all of you strat-fanatics out there (which I'm willing to bet is a lot of you), any ideas?
I'm not a strat fanatic. In fact, I've made a pretty good effort NOT to buy a run-of-the-mill strat over the years. Of late, however, I've found myself with several three-pickup 25.5" scale guitars that come pretty close. That said, I picked out guitars that were neck-through (why bother with a clunky neck heel bolt-neck?) and that did NOT have maple fretboards. Nor did I want to mess with "vintage" fretboard radii or skinny frets, none of which are particularly important to the strat sound.
well i'd start by looking at MIM (mexican made) strats. not sure how much they go for used in sweden though and i'm guessing it may be more than your budget. here in the US you'd get one for the low end of your budget but i know that overseas tehy go for a fair bit more. if you can't sewing that then i'd look at some of the nicer Squier strats
Quote by dspellman
I'm not a strat fanatic. In fact, I've made a pretty good effort NOT to buy a run-of-the-mill strat over the years. Of late, however, I've found myself with several three-pickup 25.5" scale guitars that come pretty close. That said, I picked out guitars that were neck-through (why bother with a clunky neck heel bolt-neck?) and that did NOT have maple fretboards. Nor did I want to mess with "vintage" fretboard radii or skinny frets, none of which are particularly important to the strat sound.

ummmm..... ok so why reply to thread
I have a USA standard and I would also recommend looking at a Mexico strat...I have never owned one, but I usually hear pretty good things and I can't imagine there is a $600-$700 difference between the USA model and the Mexico.

But like the guy said above, you are basically buying a guitar that hasn't really been changed in 60 years. Old school radius, old school tremolo. I think the shape is perfect, and I like the single coil sound.....But if you like your telecaster, that again is another guitar that is pretty much similar to what was offered back in the 1950s, so you'd probably like a strat. For the same money, you could probably get a more modern design neck, etc that also has single coils or possibly humbuckers that you could split.

I can't tell you what they are worth in Sweden....locally on my quick craigslist search, there are 44 Stratocaster listings right now between the price of $100 and $450.
Quote by bigblockelectra
I have a USA standard and I would also recommend looking at a Mexico strat...I have never owned one, but I usually hear pretty good things and I can't imagine there is a $600-$700 difference between the USA model and the Mexico.

But like the guy said above, you are basically buying a guitar that hasn't really been changed in 60 years. Old school radius, old school tremolo. I think the shape is perfect, and I like the single coil sound.....But if you like your telecaster, that again is another guitar that is pretty much similar to what was offered back in the 1950s, so you'd probably like a strat. For the same money, you could probably get a more modern design neck, etc that also has single coils or possibly humbuckers that you could split.

I can't tell you what they are worth in Sweden....locally on my quick craigslist search, there are 44 Stratocaster listings right now between the price of $100 and $450.

to say they haven't changed at all in 60 years is pretty inaccurate. your US strat has a 2 point bridge, 22 frets (larger than old) and has a 9.5" radius not the old 7.25. even MIMs have had some changes. of course if it ain't broke then why fix it. when you get down to it electric guitars haven't changed all that much since the 50s.
For a typical Strat in that budget, I'd look at (in no particular order):

1) MIM Fender Strat
2) Dean Zelinsky Tagliare
3) G&L Legacy Tribute
4) Godin Session
5) Fret-King Black Label (I don't remember the name of their strattiest model)
6) Fernandes Retrorocket

There are others out there worth considering, too. I've been looking at Bill Lawrence strats online- nice stuff, IMHO. And occasionally, used Carvin stratclones pop up for not too much money.

Then there's non-Strat guitars that deliver stratlike performance, like the Reverend Sixgun or the Godin Belmont.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 11, 2015,
In that budget I would look for a MiM Strat that felt good in my hands. There are a lot of good ones out there so go shopping. Mine is a USA Corona Std but I have played a lot of MiM that I liked.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by monwobobbo
ummmm..... ok so why reply to thread

To suggest that there are alternatives to strats that still include three single coil pickups, a five-way, etc., that are NOT necessarily in the strat mold. The OP says that he's only recently fallen in love with the strat *sound*. No reason to put up with strat limitations to get it.
Last edited by dspellman at Dec 12, 2015,
Quote by dannyalcatraz
For a typical Strat in that budget, I'd look at (in no particular order):

1) MIM Fender Strat
2) Dean Zelinsky Tagliare
3) G&L Legacy Tribute
4) Godin Session

5) Fret-King Black Label (I don't remember the name of their strattiest model)
6) Fernandes Retrorocket

There are others out there worth considering, too. I've been looking at Bill Lawrence strats online- nice stuff, IMHO. And occasionally, used Carvin stratclones pop up for not too much money.

Then there's non-Strat guitars that deliver stratlike performance, like the Reverend Sixgun or the Godin Belmont.

OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by bigblockelectra
But if you like your telecaster, that again is another guitar that is pretty much similar to what was offered back in the 1950s

It's already been explained why you're wrong about the Strat stuff, but for the record this is what the '72 Tele Deluxe looks like:

And here's a '50s Tele:

Anyway, dannyalcatraz' suggestions were pretty much solid. Fender-wise, if you can afford Classic series stuff that tends to be pretty lush compared to the Standard models, but watch out for 7.25" fretboard radii, which although they aren't a curse and inherently bad as some will tell you, few people get along with that well.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Dec 12, 2015,