Alright so I bought a Jackson kelly off a buddy, He sold it cheap since the pickup kept fading out. I opened the back to find it had a battery in it and I had thought EMG hz were passive? anyways I put a new battery and it sounds great now, I also noticed it had a push pull knob mod on the tone, which when pushed down ups the gain. I'm curious, are some hz active? Because If it was passive and I took out the battery and deactivated then wouldn't it still work? (it doesn't, which is why I am confused, also the neck pickup is a stock jackson passive. IT sounds VERY dull either way compared to the emg HZ...Thanks for any answers!
Peace
The push pull and 9V are for the EMG Afterburner. Just google it. That's what is boosting the gain.

When you have a cable plugged in it engages the battery circuit so don't leave it plugged in.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by reynbo1991
Alright so I bought a Jackson kelly off a buddy, He sold it cheap since the pickup kept fading out. I opened the back to find it had a battery in it and I had thought EMG hz were passive? anyways I put a new battery and it sounds great now, I also noticed it had a push pull knob mod on the tone, which when pushed down ups the gain. I'm curious, are some hz active? Because If it was passive and I took out the battery and deactivated then wouldn't it still work? (it doesn't, which is why I am confused, also the neck pickup is a stock jackson passive. IT sounds VERY dull either way compared to the emg HZ...Thanks for any answers!
Peace

You just scored a buddies guitar for bones because he thought the pickup was failing when in fact the battery was dead. Are you going to tell him now that you figured it out? I'd at least level with the guy so he knows in the future.

Never leave your guitar jacked. Active pickups use batteries leaving a guitar with actives jacked drains the batteries. In the event you buy a new guitar online that's equipped with active pickups keep this in mind, always replace the battery first. I have received guitars with a dead 9v battery.

Your pickups are passive. The Afterburn is what's using the battery like metalmingee said.
My newest addition,
2007 Dean Cadi-KILL (Cannibal Corpse) Rob Barrett Signature model to see more of my gear visit my profile.
Oh no worries I let him know lol he seems ok with it But ok so If only the afterburner needs the battery then why can't I use it without the battery? thats what I'm curious about. Because no battery = no sound in this guitar
Have you tried disengaging the afterburner? I thought that its push pull switch was true bypass so when off should still allow the signal through. If that is not the case then the reason you have no sound is that the afterburner is always in the signal chain--on or off--therefore has to have power to its circuitry to let the signal carry on its merry way.