Hey dudes, got a question about a bridge mod for the fender FMT telecaster. I recently bought this model:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TeleHHFMTBC

it plays and sounds great especially with the bare knuckle p90 i threw in the neck but I feel like the bridge could be better. I like to strum the fuck out of my guitars and it usually wont stay in tune for more than 2-3 songs even with a good semi recent setup.

Just wondering what alternative bridges you can recommend to help hold a tuning live that'll fit this guitar. the stock bridge is a 6-saddle strings-through-body hardtail bridge.

thankyou and happy playing!
I feel like the bridge is very unlikely to be the cause of any tuning issues, more likely the nut, the way it's strung or the strings themselves if they're very light (lighter strings are more prone to shifting on the tuning posts etc. in my experience at least).
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
the nut and bridge saddles are two weak points , you can use a lubricant on the saddles and nut slots

a new nut if it's a cheap plastic one , a bone nut , graphtech tusq (graphite pretty much) or brass like fender did in the 60s or 70s are three materials to use. The only down side to brass is it wears down.

new tuners i dont care what anyone says but they help , 18:1 grovers, schaller, gotoh or sperzel trim-lok , locking tuners aren't a must but a good quality set of tuners that don't wobble at the posts is what you want. 18:1 means 18 turns on the tuner knobs = 1 revelation of the hole in the tuner by the way. In other words precision. 10mm tuners are super easy to get replacements for as it's the industry standard.

how we wrap the strings if you've got a regular 10mm set there is a bunch of ways to do it

and a good setup go a long way , that was the case with my friends bc rich warbeast, i had one just like it and i never had any issues but his did because there was such a bad bow in the neck.

saddle upgrades? graphtech tusq saddles, roller saddles would be interesting on a tele , but if you've got a lot of money to burn i wonder how an evertune bridge would be on it, i tried one on an LTD EC-500 as a good friend of mines an evertune installer and i really liked it.
Quote by Synapsesfiring
Thankyou! I may try a new nut, would something like this do the trick?

http://www.shop.earvana.com/Fender-LSR-Style-FDRLSR.htm

Well I can't promise that the problem is the nut, I can only talk about what's likely, but if the issue is the nut then you may be able to fix it by enlarging the string slots slightly. The first thing to do there would be, when you next restring, just slide the string in the slot and see how readily it moves so you know if anything's catching. Now if that is the issue and you'd rather get a new nut than work with the current one, your Earvana model (assuming you want Earvana) would be this in the appropriate width, as the LSR one is for guitars fitted with Fender's roller nut (and I'm sure at some point I knew what LSR stood for, but basically it's what they call that nut).

Quote by Tallwood13
the nut and bridge saddles are two weak points , you can use a lubricant on the saddles and nut slots

a new nut if it's a cheap plastic one , a bone nut , graphtech tusq (graphite pretty much) or brass like fender did in the 60s or 70s are three materials to use. The only down side to brass is it wears down.

new tuners i dont care what anyone says but they help , 18:1 grovers, schaller, gotoh or sperzel trim-lok , locking tuners aren't a must but a good quality set of tuners that don't wobble at the posts is what you want. 18:1 means 18 turns on the tuner knobs = 1 revelation of the hole in the tuner by the way. In other words precision. 10mm tuners are super easy to get replacements for as it's the industry standard.

how we wrap the strings if you've got a regular 10mm set there is a bunch of ways to do it

and a good setup go a long way , that was the case with my friends bc rich warbeast, i had one just like it and i never had any issues but his did because there was such a bad bow in the neck.

saddle upgrades? graphtech tusq saddles, roller saddles would be interesting on a tele , but if you've got a lot of money to burn i wonder how an evertune bridge would be on it, i tried one on an LTD EC-500 as a good friend of mines an evertune installer and i really liked it.

These are all relatively sensible suggestions, but I've found it's generally more useful to diagnose a problem before putting money into fixing it.

Looking at how you restring is worth doing regardless, since it costs nothing. Some people swear by various techniques of "tying" the string to hold it tight, and I'm sure those work for those that can be bothered with the fiddliness of it. My philosophy is simply that you should use as few winds as you can manage without the string being able to pull free of the hole (which is generally surprisingly few). There are some rules of thumb as to how to get the right number of winds, but since my Tele uses vintage-style tuners which are strung slightly differently, the one I use probably wouldn't be helpful to you.

Likewise, lubricating the nut and bridge saddles with pencil lead is free and easy.

String trees are also a possible culprit, since the usual MIM ones are a bit hit-or-miss, and there are plenty of very cheap replacements including Fender's own MIA ones (these require an extra hole to be drilled, though), or Dynaguide, a Dutch-made alternative that's mainly intended to help with tremolo use, or a million and one cheap roller models.

Replacing the tuners can help, but that's not to say it will. With light strings, locking tuners can be used to avoid any shifting on the tuning post, since you don't need so many winds, which will help with that specific problem, but at the same time if your problem is the string catching in the nut it'll do nothing for that. It's like saying drinking water helps with headaches - it does, but if you just got punched in the face by Mike Tyson your headache probably isn't because you need a drink.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Last edited by K33nbl4d3 at Dec 12, 2015,
Amazingly helpful, thanks guys. Will lube the nut slots and bridge and see if that helps. If not I may try replacing the tuners. Thanks so much !!