I've been playing guitar for about two years now. I played a lot of standard tuning stuff when I started out of course, but now I'm getting more interested in different tuned songs/bands. I'm starting to get into Dream Theater, Children of Bodom, Lamb of God Slipknot stuff that's a bit different than Megadeth or Metallica. I'm currently playing a JRR-94, with 22 frets and 25.5'' scale. I want to get a lefty Agile 727 7 string, but here's my problem. I don't know whether or not to actually get it... It has a 27'' scale and I'm just a slight bit worried I'll get it in the mail, and hate how it feels. I know it'll be good for soloing because of the more space on the higher frets, but I don't know how it'll be for playing riffs lower on the fretboard. And another thing, how much difference will there be in string tension, with say playing in standard B E A D G B E with a string gauge of 9-46? I've tried to find a good article or post on a forum on this about the whole thing with tension in a 27 inch scale but I've come up pretty short. I want to be able to bend strings pretty easily, and everything else :p so just wanting to make sure this Agile is the right choice.
I personally prefer 25.5" scale still but I got used to my agiles 27" scale pretty quickly. There will be a little difference in string tension but its nothing too horrible weird. in my opinion though, 20 pounds of tension on a 25.5" doesn't FEEL the same as 20 pounds on 27", don't know exactly how to describe the difference. If you're wanting to do a lot of bends, youll notice the bends are a little harder so that's something to consider. also, the 727 is a thick beast. I get a little neck dive when standing up but its nothing too bad. I have no complaints as far as build quality either, ive been very happy with it.

typed this up real quick, hope it all makes sense haha

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

It's not a huge difference, but it's certainly noticeable. Stretches are bit harder if you have small hands. The real issue with the Agile 27" scale guitars is that finding strings long enough to get to the end of the 7-in-line headstock is difficult (at least in my experience). The longer scale means they're a bit brighter as well.

I also generally prefer 25.5" 7s.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks for the info guys, I'm pretty undecided, but this has helped me a bit. I'm thinking of going with this or a Schecter JL7, or a Damien Platinum 7, but I might get one of those so I can have a slightly smaller scale length, although, I've read on forums that Schecters can have thicker necks...
certain series' from Schecter have slightly thicker necks. the damiens and omens do, pretty sure the JL sig does, and my blackjack atx 7 did, but my c-1 classic does not. its not THAT much thicker but it does feel just a little different.

to add on to oneblackened, the septors with the inline headstocks do require longer strings but d'addarios will fit just fine. I didn't have any issues on my 8 string intrepid (even though it was 4+4). the 727 is 4+3 and ive tried out a few different brands of strings and everything has fit fine, except for the one time I ordered directly from the la bella site.

7 String+ ERG Legion!!

LTD Snakebyte
Agile AL-727
ESP Horizon
Warmoth Swirled 7
Schecter C-1 Classic
Frankentele
Laney Ironheart 60w + Avatar Cab

Quote by SYLrules88
certain series' from Schecter have slightly thicker necks. the damiens and omens do, pretty sure the JL sig does, and my blackjack atx 7 did, but my c-1 classic does not. its not THAT much thicker but it does feel just a little different.

to add on to oneblackened, the septors with the inline headstocks do require longer strings but d'addarios will fit just fine. I didn't have any issues on my 8 string intrepid (even though it was 4+4). the 727 is 4+3 and ive tried out a few different brands of strings and everything has fit fine, except for the one time I ordered directly from the la bella site.

The new JL sig has their thinner profile which is kinda like the ESP Extra Thin U. It's really comfy.

Also, 26.5" feels pretty good and it's not really a noticeably longer neck than 25.5" (though 27"+ is).
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Dec 13, 2015,
I really had no issues moving from a 25.5" to a 27" scale. OTOH, I've mostly used it in standard tuning, where it brings richer bottom end. It's not going to be the slightly larger fret spacing that will change the feel for you, but the downtuning to baritone (ish) range and the resultant change in string tension.