For the first three months or so after buying my Focusrite Scarlett Solo everything worked just fine and I recorded three songs. I recorded the songs by putting my mic up against my guitar amp with a cable connecting my mic to my Scarlett Solo. The cable with the mic went into the port with the guitar symbol on my Scarlett Solo. When I tried recording my fourth song recently, my Scarlett Solo didn't pick up any sound through the port with the guitar symbol. I know this for sure because Reaper, the recording program I use, indicated that no sound was being recorded. Usually when sound goes through the guitar port of my Scarlett Solo, there is a halo light around the volume knob that lights up, but this time the light did not come on at all when I played my guitar. When I turn on the Scarlett Solo, the halo light around the volume knob for the guitar port still blinks several times before going dead. However, the port on my Scarlett Solo with the microphone symbol by it still works for recording, but the sound I get from using that option is horrible compared to the port with the guitar symbol.

The microphone I have is a Shure SM 57 and it still works. The cable that I have that goes from the mic to the port with the microphone symbol on it on the Scarlett Solo still works.

My cable that goes from the mic to the port with the guitar symbol on the Scarlett Solo may be broken because I tried plugging in the part of this cable that usually goes into the Scarlett Solo into the microphone port of my computer and no sound was picked up. I guess this means that maybe my Scarlett Solo works 100% fine after all and it's just the previously mentioned cable that's not working.

Anyone have any idea what is going on? I find it really hard to believe that this issue has anything to do with my cables because I just bought them 3 months ago and I took good care of them and used them only like 3 times. My Scarlett Solo is really new too, hardly ever used it, and never dropped it on the ground or anything like that.
Last edited by Commisaur at Dec 12, 2015,
Cables sound like a good possibility.

Can you capture some pictures of your set up? It sounds like you are using an XLR to 1/4' cable, and if you're trying to plug that into a LowZ input....
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
The Scarlett might come with its own mixer which is part of its driver - see that you didn't change something in there. I think it has an option to "reset" or maybe it was on their more expensive interfaces. Worth taking a look just in case.
Look at your Reaper routing setup options, maybe you changed something in there.
Quote by diabolical
The Scarlett might come with its own mixer which is part of its driver - see that you didn't change something in there. I think it has an option to "reset" or maybe it was on their more expensive interfaces. Worth taking a look just in case.
Look at your Reaper routing setup options, maybe you changed something in there.

Not at all. The Solo does not come with, nor is it compatible with, the Scarlett MixControl.

One possibility is Windows itself. Is windows properly detecting the input of your Solo in the control panel? If not, the drivers may need to be reinstalled.

As well, what DAW are you using?
Quote by Watterboy
Do you have any dilithium crystals or fresh warm dumps for sale
I agree it probably has something to do with Windows not detecting something correctly because I tried plugging my mic directly into my PC without using the Scarlett and the computer would not recognize it. I also tried using a USB audio stereo sound adapter that was plug and play and it would not work either.

I use Reaper for recording music. Is that a DAW?

Wouldn't reinstalling the drivers require me to delete everything on my PC and reinstall windows? If so, I have zero interest in going through all of that time consuming hassle.

Instead I want to try recording music using my LG 4G Android smartphone.

I just have a few basic specifications:

Is it possible to get an app for my phone that will work much in the same way as Reaper?

In the past when I recorded using Reaper on my PC I uploaded midi drum and bass tracks made using Guitar Pro into Reaper. I also uploaded midi play along guitar tracks made using Guitar Pro into Reaper. Will an Android app still be able to do everything I just mentioned above?

I'm hoping I'll be able to find some recording program that will allow me to create a recording file on my PC and allow me to upload all of my play along tracks as well. Then I want to be able to put the file for recording on my Android. Then when I am done recording I want to put the file back on my PC so that I can edit it easily using a keyboard and mouse. Is everything I mentioned above possible?

Do I need a USB interface or any other devices for recording on my Android? I'm not too concerned about sound quality in fact I like raw murky sounding guitars for my metal. The only thing I wouldn't want is for the play along tracks to bleed into the recording tracks, that is unacceptable.
Last edited by Commisaur at Jan 2, 2016,