I have the option of picking up a near new (1 year old, barely touched) HRDX III with a matching extension can for 600 tomorrow, or 500 for the amp by itself.

I know one here recommended it, anyone else have experience with it for this kind of music?

Yes I know there is a postrock thread, but it's slow moving and this is time sensitive. Thanks
Yep. Add a nice OD pedal and you are good to go.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If you're using it with the clean channel, and using OD, distortion and fuzz pedals for your dirtier tones, yes.

If you want a good overdrive channel to work with, no.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
I had one, realy loved the clean channel, works good with pedals. But it is a realy loud amp not realy suitable for home use. But works great in band practice etc
I have one right now. Volume control works just fine...
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by jordaninthephilippines
I have the option of picking up a near new (1 year old, barely touched) HRDX III with a matching extension can for 600 tomorrow, or 500 for the amp by itself.

I know one here recommended it, anyone else have experience with it for this kind of music?

Yes I know there is a postrock thread, but it's slow moving and this is time sensitive. Thanks

1) the extension cab is a waste of money and space - do not buy it. HRDX are furiously loud ( which is actually one of their main problems)- you don't need extra speakers.
2) I owned a HRDX for years - they get the job done, but you will buy another amp in the future because the tone is substandard compared to a real quality tube amp. The reverb is atrocious on those amps, as is the drive channel, so budget for drive and reverb pedals.
3) there are some pretty glaring quality control issues with some of those amps, so make sure you test it thoroughly. My amp had to be serviced 3 times in the 5 years I owned it.

All of that being said, it's a decent amp for $500 and you find them often on stages as a backline at blues festivals etc. They're workhorses.
Quote by reverb66

2) I owned a HRDX for years - they get the job done, but you will buy another amp in the future because the tone is substandard compared to a real quality tube amp. The reverb is atrocious on those amps, as is the drive channel, so budget for drive and reverb pedals.
3) there are some pretty glaring quality control issues with some of those amps, so make sure you test it thoroughly. My amp had to be serviced 3 times in the 5 years I owned it.

Wow, you must have owned a lemon. Mine sounded great and the reverb was excellent, at least compared well with my 64 Super Reverb. 5 years and a couple hundred gigs, no repairs needed ever. Solid as a Sherman tank. I never used the drive channel but most amps have knobs I never use.

I replaced it with a Mesa which is smaller, a bit more versatile, and more $$. The reverb was actually better on the HRD. So many amps, so little time...
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
It's loud - but clean channel w/ an OD pedal is the way to go.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.