I love my new Squier VM Jazz bass, and it really has a nice tone. However, I have a small problem with my neck pickup, and after rooting around a little I can't find any problem with the control knob or the placement of the pickup - so there must be something wrong inside it. It makes a horrible popping sound any time I touch it, and unfortunately that's the place I best like to rest my thumb.

I've decided that I'll probably treat myself to some new pickups for Christmas, and I'd like some of your opinions on them. I'm looking for that proper "piano wire" slap sound for it, a good bit of punch.

Any suggestions?

Woody
Quote by Bassmania127
I love my new Squier VM Jazz bass, and it really has a nice tone. However, I have a small problem with my neck pickup, and after rooting around a little I can't find any problem with the control knob or the placement of the pickup - so there must be something wrong inside it. It makes a horrible popping sound any time I touch it, and unfortunately that's the place I best like to rest my thumb.

I've decided that I'll probably treat myself to some new pickups for Christmas, and I'd like some of your opinions on them. I'm looking for that proper "piano wire" slap sound for it, a good bit of punch.

Any suggestions?

Woody

an electrical popping sound or a string whacking on the pu sound?
Last edited by ad_works at Dec 14, 2015,
I have that bass too and have looked at different sites to see what people say about P/U's for it. P/U's seem to be like strings...no right answer for any one reason. Some say the P/U's in that bass are pretty decent and they wouldn't even change them. As for the pop sound, I know you can do a" shield" job to get rid of some of the extra noise. I don't have problems with mine doing that, so why one P/U does it and not another, I don't know. Maybe manufacture glitch on it. Nothing surprises me, quality wise, on anything I buy anymore. Take it back to where you got it and see if they will make it right.
Last edited by mattedbird at Dec 14, 2015,
It's an electrical popping sound, and I've done some better shielding and adjusted them to suit already, made no difference. I'm 99.9% certain it's a problem with the pickup...

I wanted to replace them eventually anyway. I've already fooled some of my mates by putting a paper bag over the end, they thought it was a Fender! Hopefully it should sound even better with new pickups.

Woody
Quote by Bassmania127
It's an electrical popping sound, and I've done some better shielding and adjusted them to suit already, made no difference. I'm 99.9% certain it's a problem with the pickup...

I wanted to replace them eventually anyway. I've already fooled some of my mates by putting a paper bag over the end, they thought it was a Fender! Hopefully it should sound even better with new pickups.

Woody

that's creative. could it work with an amp, too