Hey! I have an ESP LTD MH-400 guitar, which I bought 3 years ago new from a guitar store. I haven't used the Floyd Rose that much and had no previous experience on Floyd Rose-type tremolos. Just today I saw a Youtube video on how to setup a Floyd Rose properly and the way my guitar was set up in store was completely wrong.

As it turns out, while resting the bridge should be parallel to the body whereas my guitar had the bridge at an angle of about 30 degrees (I know the angle was the same on the day of purchase, because I took a lot of photos of it that day). Then I checked the spring cavity and noticed, that one of the screws was not screwed in at all (there was wood dust around the hole). I screwed the other one out and there was a toothpick in the hole to keep it in place. I'm kinda ashamed that I didn't notice this before, but in my defense this guitar was really not my main one.

I'm not really looking for any legal advice and I know that I have very little legal grounds since it's been such a long time after the purchase. I would just want to have a guitarists opinion on how common/acceptable these kind of fixes are on brand new guitars (I know it's a common fix people do at home). I'm probably still going to contact the store tomorrow and see what it would cost to fix it.
So why is it you can take out a screw, but not screw one in? Just tighten the screws until the bridge is level. If any screw seems striped then stick some toothpicks in there. The fact that you know it's a common fix that people do at home makes me wonder why you don't think you can do the same?
If it was being sold as new that's really not at all acceptable I'd say. Where did you buy it?
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
Quote by K33nbl4d3
If it was being sold as new that's really not at all acceptable I'd say. Where did you buy it?

Just a local guitar store here in Finland. I guess I'll contact the seller and maybe try to settle it with them first.

As for the question about not wanting to fix it myself, I guess I'll just have to do that if nothing else works, but I would really prefer having something better than just a hot fix on it. We'll have to see.
It depends though, it is possible to completely bugger a floyd rose and I hate to be the guy that says it. Basically the two screws on either side of the bridge connect it to the body, well of course what else would they do, BUT the problem is floyd roses are attached to these screws by flat sharp surfaces known as knife edges often. If, through strange tightnesses of the screws and not taking care while adjusting, the previous owner/factory setup has flattened those knife edges then the floyd rose'll never be the same.

That's talking worst case scenario though. If it's a new guitar then I don't think it'll have suffered enough abuse.

I'm shocked that a shop would sell you it like that, they should know what a healthy floyd rose looks like.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 13, 2015,
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
It depends though, it is possible to completely bugger a floyd rose and I hate to be the guy that says it. Basically the two screws on either side of the bridge connect it to the body, well of course what else would they do, BUT the problem is floyd roses are attached to these screws by flat sharp surfaces known as knife edges often. If, through strange tightnesses of the screws and not taking care while adjusting, the previous owner/factory setup has flattened those knife edges then the floyd rose'll never be the same.

That's talking worst case scenario though. If it's a new guitar then I don't think it'll have suffered enough abuse.

I'm shocked that a shop would sell you it like that, they should know what a healthy floyd rose looks like.

You seem to have misunderstood what the problem is. I'm talking about screws and springs on the back of the guitar that counteract the spring tension. Also this can't really be due to abuse by me since the bridge was already in this ridiculous position when I bought the guitar. I certainly have no idea how it took me this long to notice the issue
Quote by bamboocha93
You seem to have misunderstood what the problem is. I'm talking about screws and springs on the back of the guitar that counteract the spring tension. Also this can't really be due to abuse by me since the bridge was already in this ridiculous position when I bought the guitar. I certainly have no idea how it took me this long to notice the issue
Yeah, I specifically didn't mention you as a cause of abuse because that's impossible sounding. I was just talking all out doom and gloom worst thing that can possibly happen. What you have can easily be fixed I reckon. Maybe should've worded things differently. :P
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?