Hey all,

I'd like to share with you guys info on the Suhr Reactive Load if you haven't already heard about it.

This little device connects to your guitar amplifier from the speaker output to its 8 ohm speaker input and converts the signal to a line level, acting as a load box. What's different about the Suhr Reactive load versus existing products is that the reactive load technology represents your guitar amp signal as accurately as possible without loosing the dynamics commonly found from resistive loads. The resulting signal itself isn't very useful without any sort of speaker cabinet emulation. One excellent speaker cabinet simulator is the Torpedo Wall of Sound III plugin (from Two Notes Audio Engineering) for DAWs such as Logic, Pro Tools, and Reaper. This would allow you to load a variety of Two Notes or 3rd-party impulse response libraries (commonly found as .WAV files) and output what you'd expect to hear from a microphone setup.

The Suhr Reactive load is an excellent device for musicians wanting play at bedroom/headphone volumes, record without the hassle of setting up microphones or isolation cabinets, or completely bypass the speaker cab emulation route & re-amp your amp to a separate power amp for applying time-based effects and/or creating a W/D setup. For those primarily looking to take advantage of speaker cabinet emulation, simply plug your guitar amp to the Suhr Reactive Load, connect either the balanced or unbalanced line output to your audio interface, load up the Torpedo Wall of Sound III plugin to your DAW & impulse response libraries of choice, and you're good to go!

Additionally you can find a video guide by Rockinchippy (GroomedNoodlers.com) here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ-uzSnBoA4

Here's a demo I put together comparing a recording through the Suhr Reactive Load & OwnHammer impulse responses versus the real microphone setup.

The amp used is a 1976 Marshall JMP 2203 (100 Watts). The Torpedo Wall of Sound III plugin was used to load OwnHammer Celestion G12H-30 (55Hz) Blackback impulse responses into Reaper software. That setup included two virtual microphones: a condenser & room mic.

Two AKG C 414 XLS microphones were used for the real setup: 1 close mic to a 1982B Marshall 4x12 cabinet with Celestion G12H-30 (55Hz) Blackbacks from 1979, and another as a room microphone. All tracks were recorded simultaneously to give as accurate of a demo as possible.

Cheers!

Suhr Reactive Load + OwnHammer G12H-30 (55Hz) Blackbacks vs. (Real) Microphone Setup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N9-5j9k5Ak

Suhr Reactive Load + OwnHammer G12M-25 (55Hz) Blackbacks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EONdjbXRNo0
a
Quote by jaspervdv
well, that went from objectivity to subjectivity in a heartbeat.

well the dude always acts out outrageously so it is possible that Mesa didn't want their products clowned with...I honestly don't know but if I was equipment manufacturer that dealt with Anderton's, I'd say anyone BUT Chappers
The Mesa Cab Clone is an excellent load box, and quite frankly I haven't heard one better at any price. The Mark V 25 is an exceptional amp, and the built in Cab Clone has jazz players and metal heads completely satisfied. No one I've sold these products to has ever returned them. If you have a built in bias against a company, or a product, you limit your options when something extraordinary is produced by them. Suhr is a great company and I love their guitars, but check out the Cab Clone for yourself and make an informed decision.
Not a huge fan of the Ownhammer IRs but the Reactive Load does a good job behaving like a speaker cab loadwise.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by diabolical
Don't see why that has to be so, Mesa can't stop you from reviewing their product or get you to take it down.

They also removed comments on their social networks page criticizing the product...

SMG also has a review on it.

From what I've heard of the Cab Clone, it sounds terrible.

About the Reactive Load, that was quite decent. Not bad at all.
Last edited by DanyFS at Jan 12, 2016,
Quote by DanyFS
They also removed comments on their social networks page criticizing the product...

SMG also has a review on it.

From what I've heard of the Cab Clone, it sounds terrible.

About the Reactive LoaTd, that was quite decent. Not bad at all.

The Cab Clone is awesome. Anyone that says different is completely misinformed. Nothing I've heard comes close. Nobody is paying me to say this, and my satisfied clients speak volumes over whatever noise that comes up in this forum. Go listen for yourself then comment. If you have ears to hear then I'm sure you will agree and get one for yourself. I really hate uniformed opinions, especially when it comes to folks who like to come off like they are professionals. I don't sell crap to people and I am also a touring professional, so I don't do the hobbyist thing. Make up your own minds about any product after you have done the due diligence, Don't cackle likes hens gossiping.
Quote by kendall jones
The Cab Clone is awesome. Anyone that says different is completely misinformed. Nothing I've heard comes close. Nobody is paying me to say this, and my satisfied clients speak volumes over whatever noise that comes up in this forum. Go listen for yourself then comment. If you have ears to hear then I'm sure you will agree and get one for yourself. I really hate uniformed opinions, especially when it comes to folks who like to come off like they are professionals. I don't sell crap to people and I am also a touring professional, so I don't do the hobbyist thing. Make up your own minds about any product after you have done the due diligence, Don't cackle likes hens gossiping.

I have ears, that's why it sounds horrible to me. I would never get the Cab Clone.

Seriously man, Mesa has great products, but they failed in so many ways with the Cab Clone...

Quote by jaspervdv
Two note torpedo stuff absolutely crushes the mesa cab clone.

This.
Quote by DanyFS
I have ears, that's why it sounds horrible to me. I would never get the Cab Clone.

I have to ask, do you think that way just because of the Glenn Fricker review? Or have you actually tried the unit?
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Kevätuhri
I have to ask, do you think that way just because of the Glenn Fricker review? Or have you actually tried the unit?

No no, I just mentioned that Glenn had a review on it, not that I based my opinion on Glenn's opinion.

A friend of mine got the Cab Clone from a local store and we tried it. He ended up returning the Cab Clone because the results were not good at all.
Quote by DanyFS
No no, I just mentioned that Glenn had a review on it, not that I based my opinion on Glenn's opinion.

A friend of mine got the Cab Clone from a local store and we tried it. He ended up returning the Cab Clone because the results were not good at all.

Gotcha. I haven't tried one, so I'm skeptical since a lot of people seem to hate it just because Glenn does.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by DanyFS

Seriously man, Mesa has great products, but they failed in so many ways with the Cab Clone...

This.

You are entitled to your opinion and that is fine with me. But I must say after listening to Palmer's, Radial's, and Suhr's offerings, my thoughts on the matter still stand. I never get too emotional about different thoughts on gear. When used with proper cabling (Mogami is how I roll) paired with a great mic pre like Heritage Audio's 73 Jr. going into an Universal Audio Apollo Quad, you begin to hear something more detailed than plugging straight into a Focusrite Scarlett. Results can vary depending on how solid your signal chain is with any piece of gear. I don't do flame posts and I never troll. I offer this opinion strictly for edification and for no other reason. All I care about is making great music, and great recordings of that music. There are many ways to get there and that's okay. In the end that is what I want for my fellow musicians as well.
Just got through testing a Two Notes Torpedo Live through a Reeves Space Cowboy 100 and Mesa Boogie Roadster and A/B(ed) that with the Cab Clone. Even with all of its presets and cab sims it still sounded like a really good D.I., but never like a speaker cab. I am not familiar with what amps and cabling are being used with others that have used Cab Clones, but my ears tell me maybe you might need to check out your amps and see if they are up to snuff, because the Cab Clone is far more detailed than any thing else I've heard at any price. No load box sounds as good as real cabs, and I don't usually use them in my setup, but I will not spend money on something I know from direct in the room comparison are not as good.
PS
Just got the Mark V 35 in the shop and it kills. The Cab Clone in it sounds awesome. I don't care what anyone thinks, I'm here with the gear and I don't have to lie to kick it. Spend your money however you wish. I'll sell you all the Two Notes shit you want all day, but it will never be in my rig.
Last edited by kendall jones at Jan 21, 2016,
Tried to post photos of the Reeves, Roadster, Two Notes, and Cab Clone to show that I actually have the gear on hand and I never lie about things like that. They will be up soon.
Last edited by kendall jones at Jan 22, 2016,