So I've had a dream of a "Metal" Fender Stratocaster for awhile now. EMGs, Floyd Rose, Ebony fingerboard on a satin finished fast neck ect. So I've been checking out and I can get it all done from Warmoth for approx $1,400 including shipping (Not including electronics which I could purchase and install myself for around $250 on top of that. My question is will those parts from Warmoth produce a quality guitar worthy of that price? Or could I go with a custom shop that could match that price (Or near it.) with those specs? The Fender Strat shape is sentimental to me so I'm not really looking for anything different for this guitar. The neck shape I will happily change though to get as close to a Jackson speed neck as possible.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Worth adding in the cost of finishing the fretwork. Warmoth will just hammer the frets in, no more.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
As Tone Done points out, the resale value will take a major hit. If you never intend to sell the guitar, the choice is yours. If you think you might want to sell it down the road Custom Shop is the way to go.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
Well, I'm pretty sure you could find a production model EMG equipped Stratclone out there from several builders.

Are you looking to use humbucker-sized actives or the singlecoil-sized ones?

I ask because of things like the Fernandes Retrorocket DG.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/retrorocket/retrorocket-deluxe.html

http://www.amazon.com/Fernandes-Retrorocket-Deluxe-Dg-Electric/dp/B00328HPUK

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fernandes-Solid-6-String-Right-Handed-Retrorocket-Deluxe-DG-Electric-Guitar-/370628473819?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

Now, I know the David Gilmour EMGs aren't the ones you're looking for, since they're not "metal", and that's a Wilkinson, not a FR. But that's very close. Fernandes has a design philosophy aimed at hard rock and metal players, so their necks tend towards the slender side.

And, besides that, Fernandes (here's their Revolver) and others make Superstrats with paired HB-sized EMGs.

http://www.fernandesguitars.com/revolver.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 13, 2015,
Many boutique guitars are made from Warmoth parts. Especially the necks.
My experience with warmoth is all over the place. I have seen warmoth products be amazing, then I have seen some warmoth products be garbage. The quality seems to be all over the place. I have played or worked on roughly 10 or so warmoths, I would say 6 out of those 10 warmoth guitars were poorly done and needed extensive repair work.
Quote by JosephFeagin8
My experience with warmoth is all over the place. I have seen warmoth products be amazing, then I have seen some warmoth products be garbage. The quality seems to be all over the place. I have played or worked on roughly 10 or so warmoths, I would say 6 out of those 10 warmoth guitars were poorly done and needed extensive repair work.

and thats the problem with personal experience since I've played a bunch of Warmoths around my town and about 70% of them have been fantastic and almost none were downright terrible, needing very little elbow grease. I believe the quality is more dependent on the customers ability to assemble it and their design choices.
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Quote by JosephFeagin8

What work would it need? You don't buy a guitar from Warmoth. You buy parts to build a guitar. If a Warmoth is poorly done, that's user error because Warmoth the only thing that Warmoth installs are bridge studs, frets, and nuts. They just finish and route the body and neck. All other details are things the assembler has to do or they give it to a tech to do the extras.
Simply tossing money at Warmoth won't get the job done. The smart thing is to have the parts delivered directly to a really competent tech. The components that Warmoth will provide are quality. The catch is that too many people think they can put the guitar together from there, and the truth is, most can't. I've seen *terrible* installation of electronics, badly done neck-body assembly, no fretwork, crookedly mounted tuners, broken-off screws in strap buttons, cracked pickup rings (they weren't properly fitted) and much more. That's only part of the reason I'll rarely even look at a Warmoth-sourced guitar.

On the OTHER side of the spectrum, I'd very much consider a Carvin ST300, which comes with the classic strat shape, but is a neck-through guitar with a smooth neck heel, spectacular build quality, great fretwork, outstanding woods. It's a guitar that will arrive at your door perfectly set up and in tune.

If it's really important that you see more strat visual cues, check out guitars from Suhr and Tom Anderson; outstanding quality for whatever price they're asking.
Just factor in the cost of someone building it for you and making sure it's set up all nice and see if that's still worth it for you.

warmoth parts casters can be very good. Their parts are top quality.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
You could probably get something like that dine by RAN or Ormsby for about 1500-2000 dollars or so, tops 2500. I once gave RAN a pretty crazy spec, came to only 3000 Euros, that's about 2500USD. I don't see a metal straclone going above 2000 or so.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2015,
Thank you for all the comments. Most of this is kinda what I was thinking. I'll still need to have someone do fret work and mount the neck to the body and do a setup. I can install the electronics I'm pretty certain. EMGs have a "quick connect" system involving no soldering, so it should be no biggie. And Danny I haven't decided finally on EMG 81/89 or EMG 81 bridge, and 2 EMG singles yet. However I really want the body to be a strat shape. Like the shape of a Fender Stratocaster. No off-sets or carved tops. And I want a floyd pretty much because I like how it feels for palm mutes and how well they've stayed in tune for me. I might end up not even having the back routed out for the springs. I'd prefer if I could actually just do a similar bridge to the Mick Thomson signature Ibanez. (But with a Floyd, not an Edge.) Here's a link to that.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/u_eg_page15.php?year=2015&cat_id=1&series_id=29&data_id=272&color=CL01
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Ordering the parts from Warmoth and assemble it myself? Sure, because i trust my work.

Not so sure i trust Warmoth's people to put in the same level of craftsmanship. If you don't know what you're doing as far as putting all the parts together, or you don't have experience doing it, then custom shop is probably the better option for you.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I don't think Wamoth actually assembles anything. Aren't they purely a custom parts shop?

Quote by GraceByDeath
And Danny I haven't decided finally on EMG 81/89 or EMG 81 bridge, and 2 EMG singles yet. However I really want the body to be a strat shape. Like the shape of a Fender Stratocaster.

Well, I just looked at the Carvin Bolt- their version of the Strat- and among their options, they DO offer a FR.* What they do NOT offer is active pickups, near as I can tell.

* I think they offer all of the Bolt options on their Bolt kits, so you might want to do a price comparison.

i believe you can order a lot of things preassembled to various degrees
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by GraceByDeath
So I've had a dream of a "Metal" Fender Stratocaster for awhile now. EMGs, Floyd Rose, Ebony fingerboard on a satin finished fast neck ect. So I've been checking out and I can get it all done from Warmoth for approx $1,400 including shipping (Not including electronics which I could purchase and install myself for around $250 on top of that. My question is will those parts from Warmoth produce a quality guitar worthy of that price? Or could I go with a custom shop that could match that price (Or near it.) with those specs? The Fender Strat shape is sentimental to me so I'm not really looking for anything different for this guitar. The neck shape I will happily change though to get as close to a Jackson speed neck as possible.

My friend just built a Warmoth Bass - I was skeptical of Warmoth at first, but it is spectacular - way beyond my American Standard P Bass - the neck is amazing and the sound is very impressive. My crew of friends have great instruments, Jazz basses, P bases, Musicman Stingray's etc. - the Warmoth eclipses them all.

I would assume the guitars are on par with the basses and you will not be disappointed.

That being said, if you want a Strat type guitar with a faster neck - check out the Silhouette Special from Musicman - it's my primary guitar ( I also have a strat) - the neck is incredible - much smaller and much more smooth than a Strat neck - the guitar is amazing - you can play anything on it.