Hi everyone thought I should say hi.
I've thought for years that I would love to learn to play, but I don't have a clue where to start.
I've never had the courage to try, but now I've thought what the hell.
Now I'm trying to figure out do I just pickup a guitar, and try, or should I take some lessons?
I'm 43 and I'm just wondering if I'm too old to learn?
Looking forward hopefully to some tips, and advice on how to get started.
Thanks.
Quote by cgc1972
Hi everyone thought I should say hi.
I've thought for years that I would love to learn to play, but I don't have a clue where to start.
I've never had the courage to try, but now I've thought what the hell.
Now I'm trying to figure out do I just pickup a guitar, and try, or should I take some lessons?
I'm 43 and I'm just wondering if I'm too old to learn?
Looking forward hopefully to some tips, and advice on how to get started.
Thanks.

Just pick up the damn guitar and get a teacher to teach you the basics assuming you are a total beginner. You are never too old to learn anything.

Here, your motivation and inspiration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CAuLeSmcR8
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

I took a few lessons as a kid (~10yo), but was never really into it. Decided to pick it up again a few years ago (~42yo) and am loving it. It can be done.
If you get older, you also deliver deeper and better taste in music Music is the best motivation to learn anything - cause you want to PLAY IT BY YOURSELF, NO LISTEN TO THE OTHERS PLAYING!
How to start? Well, definitely you HAVE TO find a teacher and frequent 1 on 1 lessons at least 1h/week (+ exercises in home ofc), don't pick up teaching yourself on youtube (or any other site) videos - You'll get bad habits and won't be corrected simultaneously with playing.
So buy a guitar - you'll love it! Or ask your [future] teacher if you can play on his guitar, just to try if it's what you're looking for.
Don't be scared, Just pick up a guitar and jam. No ones ever to old to learn. Just grab a guitar and have fun with it! If you have the money, absolutely get some lessons, they both make the learning process faster and if you get a good teacher, it's a heck of a lot of fun. Best of luck to you, and keep us updated on your progress!

Get out there and Jam!
Thanks for the advice guys it's much appreciated.
Just a quick update.
I've found a teacher, and had my first lesson today, and it was fantastic
My next lessons already booked.
Thanks again for the advice.
Hope You'll get deep into it! Have no fear to ask if You came across any problems or obstacles