Page 1 of 5
http://nypost.com/2015/12/13/sensitive-principal-bans-santa-and-other-religious-symbols/

Santa Claus is banned. The Pledge of Allegiance is no longer recited. “Harvest festival” has replaced Thanksgiving, and “winter celebrations” substitute for Christmas parties.

New principal Eujin Jaela Kim has given PS 169 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn, a politically correct scrub-down, to the dismay of teachers and parents.

“We definitely can’t say Christmas, nothing with Christmas on it, nothing with Santa,” PTA president Mimi Ferrer said administrators told her. “No angels. We can’t even have a star because it can represent a religious system, like the Star of David.”

Kim, 33, did not return a call or e-mail seeking comment.

A memo last month from assistant principal Jose Chaparro suggested a “harvest festival instead of Thanksgiving or a winter celebration instead of a Christmas party.” He urged staff to “be sensitive of the diversity of our families. Not all children celebrate the same holidays.”

Ninety-five percent of the 1,600 kids at PS 169 are Asian or Hispanic.

In a recent directive to all schools, the city Department of Education said it permits holiday symbols including Christmas trees, kinaras (candleholders for Kwanzaa), dreidels, Hanukkah menorahs and the Islamic star-and- crescent. Displays that “depict images of deities, religious figures or religious texts” are prohibited.

In a memo to staff this month, PS 169 business manager Johanna Bjorken added: “In case you are wondering about grey areas: Santa Claus is considered an ‘other religious figure.’ ”

But a DOE spokesman told The Post that Santa is allowed as a secular figure.

Santa was a part of the holidays at PS 169 for years. Joseph Iorio, a longtime assistant principal and the acting principal who preceded Kim, recalled state Assemblyman Felix Ortiz visiting the school dressed as Santa “many times.”

Iorio also said he tapped student leaders to lead the Pledge of Allegiance every Monday morning. When Kim arrived, the school-wide pledge ended.

​A DOE spokesman said classrooms can recite the pledge “at the teacher’s discretion.” But PS 169 teachers said that Kim never told them they could do so.

Kim has other wacky priorities, school sources say. Soon after joining PS 169 in May 2014, her first time as a principal, she ordered the faculty to clear their classrooms of “clutter.” She moved hundreds of books and loads of supplies into the gym, where parents and other community members took what they wanted. The rest was tossed in the trash.

She also dumped boxes of newly purchased reading books in the basement because she preferred another curriculum, staffers said.

Kim bought seven 70-to-80-inch Sharp flat-screen smart TVs, which retail at about $3,000 each. After painting over and removing historic murals, she had the TVs mounted in the auditorium — three over the stage and two on each side.

“It was ridiculous,” Ferrer said. “They have never been used.”

Kim holds a lottery for students to get academic assistance after school or on Saturdays. She also started a “professional learning period” in which teachers observe each other in class, but it eliminates one period of core instruction a week for students, staffers said.​

​​Kim recently told staff that Chancellor Carmen Fariña ​praised PS 169 at a town hall meeting.

Christmas is ruined.
Man you gotta summarize y'hear? Summa'ize.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
i'm genuinely surprised that reciting the pledge of allegiance is still a thing
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Joseph Iorio, a longtime assistant principal and the acting principal who preceded Kim, recalled state Assemblyman Felix Ortiz visiting the school dressed as Santa “many times.”

strikes me as odd
Quote by WCPhils
why?

Because masochists routinely appoint sadists to positions of power.
Quote by Baby Joel

Right? Maybe it's an immigrant thing. I thought it was silly then and even now.
Free Ali
goddamn libtards

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
My shock-face......it's on right now.

Edit- Not really. This politically correct shit has gotten quite predictable.
She looks like one of those Asian gifs.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Baby Joel

You say that as if kids are forced to say it
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
I think I said this on a different thread, but it is actually really annoying when people who know I don't celebrate Christmas, not even the non-religious aspects of it, assume I am celebrating it. I'm not gonna get mad if someone says "merry Christmas" to me or invites me to a Christmas thing or something but it's stupid to assume that everyone does the same exact thing as you.
cat
Yes but are we surprised that they are stamping out the last flittering light of fun in schools? Kids can't have fun dammit, someone could get hurt.

Tbf though the pledge is dumb and should go away.
Last edited by seanlang01 at Dec 13, 2015,
sometimes people (strangers) say "merry christmas" to me & i have wonder if it's them being spiteful like "yeah i said CHRISTMAS" -- not toward me personally -- or maybe so, if they think i look like a faggy liberal type who hates Christmas (not improbable) -- but in general, you know -- they're bringing it back, man. #notpolitcallycorrect

idk something to think about.
Quote by guitarxo
I think I said this on a different thread, but it is actually really annoying when people who know I don't celebrate Christmas, not even the non-religious aspects of it, assume I am celebrating it. I'm not gonna get mad if someone says "merry Christmas" to me or invites me to a Christmas thing or something but it's stupid to assume that everyone does the same exact thing as you.

i just went to wawa 10 minutes ago to get a hoagie and as i walked in this woman stopped me and told me this sob story about how she needed money so i gave her all the cash i had which was only $5 and she thanked me a lot and said "merry christmas" and i thought of you
Eastwinn do you live at a Wawa or something

And if so then why wouldn't you at least move into a nicer convenience store
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
yes ish

the one north of me and the one east of me (in annapolis) are also good
New York is a joke as a state.
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold hardware)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
Quote by guitarxo

This is a good post

Instead of banning things, why not integrate more cultural traditions?

Why don't kids ever learn about Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Ramadan, Diwali, Hannukah, or any other similar religious/cultural customs alongside Christmas?

EDIT: Gonna get a bit long winded here, but anyway....
Why are people so adamant about removing culture from people's lives due to the fear of "offending" others?
Why is putting Christmas presents under a tree so offensive for some? Why is having a festival of lights to commemorate good things offensive to others?
And then what happens when these kids leave school? They won't appreciate or understand the cultures in many countries that they are likely to travel to, and this lack of understanding is likely to be the main breeding ground of racism and xenophobia.
But the core question is, WHY is it so offensive? What cultural or religious traditions exist that are actually offensive, in the sense that they discriminate against others for the benefit of their own culture?
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Last edited by i_lovemetallica at Dec 14, 2015,
Quote by i_lovemetallica
This is a good post

Why don't kids ever learn about Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, Ramadan, Diwali, Hannukah, or any other similar religious/cultural customs alongside Christmas?

yes
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Hal-Sephira at #33728902
New York is a joke as a state.

Says the Californian.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by i_lovemetallica
This is a good post

You're not seriously suggesting we teach all this filth to kids? What's next, teaching them that sex isn't evil?! DO YOU HATE OUR FUTURE?!

And in the schools? Education is something to in private dammit!
Last edited by ultimate-slash at Dec 14, 2015,
The pledge of Allegiance is a dumb thing and serves only to foster the 'America! Fuck Yeah!' attitude in kids nice and early so I think it's good that's gone.

And to be honest every year I wrestle with Christmas. I do think Christmas should be preserved for Christians who are celebrating Christmas, and the rest of us who are celebrating time off work, family together time and PRESENTS!!!! should really back off away from it. Call this time of year the 'holiday period' or 'festive season'. It makes more sense.

Although that being said I still use 'Merry Christmas' and wish people I don't know a Merry Christmas but I treat it more as an offer of goodwill and a hope they have a good time at the end of the year.

The thing is America is constitutionally a secular country so religion in schools should either be taught and represented equally or not taught at all IMO. And for a mainly immigrant-populated school, I think it's fine. It's not about being offended, it's about showing respect to other cultures.
Quote by Eastwinn
yes ish

the one north of me and the one east of me (in annapolis) are also good

outwith parameters of map; your bathroom
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do

although tbh kids should be educated about all this mythological stuff rather than none of it.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Dec 14, 2015,
Page 1 of 5