Mnemonic device (n.): a pattern, paradigm or other such thing that helps you remember something you might not be able to otherwise

Do you use these at all? How often? Do you find yourself too reliant on them?

I have only one that I use and it's for a password that was randomly assigned to one of my accounts. The password is "cat4gate" and now I can't 4get it.

This is such a non-thread topic, but I need a thinly veiled distraction from doing work I should really finish right now.
Free Ali
Knuckles tell the days of months
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
mmmmvemjsun

they said it on drake and josh once and ive never forgotten it since

(order of planets btw)

((it was saved by the bell apparently))
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

Last edited by Trowzaa at Dec 13, 2015,
Quote by ElMaco
Knuckles tell the days of months

yeah i have to pm him every time. i'd ring him but the time difference is too finicky sometimes.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Trowzaa
mmmmvemjsun

they said it on drake and josh once and ive never forgotten it since

(order of planets btw)

Yes, I know. I actually played Josh on that show.
Free Ali
Quote by Baby Joel
yeah i have to pm him every time. i'd ring him but the time difference is too finicky sometimes.

You know I think it would be easier if there was just a stickied thread where he tells the days I bet he gets tons of pms each month
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by Baby Joel at #33728612

I remember and memorize things with a complex internal formula that involves formulating patterns with (sometimes unrelated) concepts already stored in my vast brain. However, I tend to prefer memeonic devices.
I actually don't have a clue how many days are in the months. There's that mnemonic device that's like "30 days has blah blah" but it's confusing 'cause there's no inherent order to it. This was well exemplified by that Parks and Recreation episode "94 Meetings."
Free Ali
I know them by thinking things like "does 31st of June sound like a thing"

no it doesnt

Quote by chrismendiola

Do you use these at all?

Yes

How often?

Quite often given that the majority of my classes rely on memorization and I suck at memorizing things so I need all the help I can get.

Do you find yourself too reliant on them?

No. If anything I could stand to make up a few more instead of trying to remember everything I read without forming easy-to-recall patterns.

In other cases I don't see how I would be able to remember everything without a mnemonic. The only time pure repetition has worked for me this semester was for memorizing the IPA for non-English consonants.

This is such a non-thread topic, but I need a thinly veiled distraction from doing work I should really finish right now.

huu. I am actually replying to your thread because I need a distraction from trying to come up with effective mnemonics for various things.
cat
Do you use these at all?
no.

How often?
almost never.

Do you find yourself too reliant on them?
no.
Quote by chrismendiola

i was supposed to start studying as many as 10 hours ago
mnemonic devices are never that memorable for me.

usually they are most useful at remembering the basics of a unit and the details are far less applicable to mnemonic devices
Last edited by whywefight at Dec 13, 2015,
Quote by Eastwinn at #33728677

huu
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by guitarxo
huu. I am actually replying to your thread because I need a distraction from trying to come up with effective mnemonics for various things.

Quote by Eastwinn

I have to write 21 pages by tomorrow and hadn't started until this morning. By "started," I mean write subheadings. I didn't really get going until 5:30 PM. I wrote the first five I needed, but I didn't bother to read the book (it was a book review, nonetheless).

Why do I torture myself?
Free Ali
school is for chumps tbh

tomorrow as a final i have to preform (on video) a section of a play while wearing a mask i painted myself. i'm paying thousands of dollars for this. but at least i'll get an A and my gpa won't look so god awful

then i have two finals on tues and wed that i really really need to study for but fuck it
Quote by Eastwinn
school is for chumps tbh

tomorrow as a final i have to preform (on video) a section of a play while wearing a mask i painted myself. i'm paying thousands of dollars for this. but at least i'll get an A and my gpa won't look so god awful

Don't you study numbers and shapes and shit? How'd you end up taking a class that requires you to do this? You obviously aren't doing it voluntarily.
Free Ali
use em all the time. my memory for random, useless things is ridiculous because of it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by chrismendiola
Don't you study numbers and shapes and shit? How'd you end up taking a class that requires you to do this? You obviously aren't doing it voluntarily.

gen eds yeah. i'm not even done with them either
i'll probably graduate in 2033

shapes but no shape in particular
Quote by chrismendiola
I have to write 21 pages by tomorrow and hadn't started until this morning. By "started," I mean write subheadings. I didn't really get going until 5:30 PM. I wrote the first five I needed, but I didn't bother to read the book (it was a book review, nonetheless).

Why do I torture myself?

What was the book?

I meant to study for the last 7 hours, but the antihistamines I'm taking are giving me crazy mood swings, making it impossible to concentrate on anything. I am going to buy different medication tomorrow but in the meantime I'm sitting here alternating between crying about my apartment being a horrible mess and crying about not being ready for finals.

I also meant to study earlier in the day but it was 70 degrees out and I couldn't not go outside!
cat
I'm not creative enough to come up with good ones, and honestly by the time I'd be able to create and memorize a mnemonic I could just have memorized what I'm trying to learn in the first place
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
If you have to make a speech, a good way to memorize it is to imagine a trip through your domus. Put your first argument in the vestibulum, the next in atrium, then in tablinum etc.
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by guitarxo
What was the book?

I meant to study for the last 7 hours, but the antihistamines I'm taking are giving me crazy mood swings, making it impossible to concentrate on anything. I am going to buy different medication tomorrow but in the meantime I'm sitting here alternating between crying about my apartment being a horrible mess and crying about not being ready for finals.

I also meant to study earlier in the day but it was 70 degrees out and I couldn't not go outside!

Sex, Murder, and the Meaning of Life by Douglas T. Kenrick.

I'd tell you more about it, but then again, I didn't read it. Somehow I wrote 5 pages on it.
Free Ali
Quote by Eastwinn
king philip came over for gay sex

forgot about that one.

There's a little song from a Strong Bad Email that I use to remember "it's" and "its."

I can try to find it...
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA