Hey everyone -

I'm currently enrolled in a community college audio recording certificate program while also getting my general education. The plan coming out of high school was to get my audio recording cert, and then eventually move to Cal State University Dominguez Hills (southern California uni) to get a degree in audio recording. (They are one of the only southern California universities that offers an audio recording degree). However, the past couple months I've been having my doubts about whether I should actually pursue a degree in recording, since at the end of the day its a craft and a formal education isn't super necessary. I asked my recording teacher about two weeks how practical it is to get a degree in recording, and after telling him my dream job would just be to work as an engineer in a studio, he told me a degree in recording isn't necessary. He told me that people who are hiring care more about your body of work, and your certifications in recording/logic/pro tools. He did tell me to get a degree because its still important. I figured I would go get a business degree because it would provide a nice safety net in case anything were to ever go wrong, but after looking at all the math classes required to get a business degree, I realized there was not a chance in hell I would finish that course. I don't exactly want to pay anywhere from ~$6-15k to get a sociology/comm/philosophy/poly sci degree, because I feel like that wouldn't help me in the real world in case shit hits the fan. This brings me back to my main question, where did you all go to school and where do you work now? Any input would obviously be helpful! Thank you everyone!
To be honest with you the success rate is almost as bad as it is for recording artists...well, maybe a little better as there are more places that need someone to run sound for them, as churches, businesses, etc.

As someone who has done this professionally and wanted to make decent living on it, I'd advise you against it. It is something fun to do while you're young, you're the man behind the board, all the groupies dig you, the bands kiss your ass...the the studio and venue owners pocket most of the cash

I'd say pursue this along something more tangible or combine both, Business Mgmt degree + audio recording degree or something of that type. Honestly though, once I got the business degree you see how badly you're screwed working as recording engineer.

People in Europe seem to make a better living on it overall. In the States there are a few towns that are good for it, LA, NY, Austin, Nashville...the rest of the country pays about $12-20/hr and you have to haul heavy equipment. Business degree will start you off on a $25-$30/hr salary easily.

If you teacher did so well, why isn't he out there mixing Iron Maiden? Think of it from that angle. But don't let me discourage you...it could be done but overall it is a shrinking market.
I'm currently at Berklee doing the MP&E program there.

Long story short: It's not who you are, it's who you know. Connections will get you work.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.