For somebody who plays ain't the likes of nirvana, wavves, smashing pumpkins, best coast, Misfits, faith no more sound, which would you recommend?

I'm split. I'd like a traditional tele, but I want to also be able to play the genres of the bands I listed to the best of my abilities.

Thanks
If you look at their rigs, the guitarists in those bands played a wide variety of guitars with all kinds of pickup arrays. And- more importantly- they used a wide variety of amps. Amps and pedals will make more of a difference to your resultant sound than the guitar will.

That said, with that list of bands, I'd opt for a guitar that had more tricks up its sleeves than just the 2 singlecoils or HBs you find on some Teles. By that, I mean that if it just had HBs, they would be splittable. I might get a 290* style guitar. I might opt for a mix of pickups, like P90/S, HB/S, HB/P90, T**/miniHB, T/HB, or even T/P-Rail.

Which of those options would work best for you depends on your budget and your willingness to venture outside of Fender's products or to try guitars that were Tele-inspired but vary somewhat in body style.

* 290 = 2 P90 pickups
** T = Telecaster style bridge singlecoil
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Well, you could go 50/50 and get a traditional style tele (two single coils) and put an SC sized humbucker in the bridge and fit a coil tap.

Something like a DiMarzio Super Distortion T or a Seymour Duncan Little '59 Tele or Hot Rails should fit the bill perfectly!
Also having the coil split would mean that you can have both single coil and humbucker sounds at the flick of switch (or pull of a control knob, but you catch my drift).
Well as you may have seen in a previous post

I'm eyeing either a Tele HH or standard Tele or the classic 60s tele (both mex)
Quote by CorrosionMedia
Well, you could go 50/50 and get a traditional style tele (two single coils) and put an SC sized humbucker in the bridge and fit a coil tap.

Something like a DiMarzio Super Distortion T or a Seymour Duncan Little '59 Tele or Hot Rails should fit the bill perfectly!
Also having the coil split would mean that you can have both single coil and humbucker sounds at the flick of switch (or pull of a control knob, but you catch my drift).

There's ye Tele HH option, But afaik, the split humbuckers don't sound anything like a Tele at all. Would they?
They don't sound the same, but split HBs sound a lot more like singlecoils than do non-split ones.

But look at who you're talking about:

Jim Martin favored Vs with humbuckers.
James Iha has a bunch of guitars with HBs and one Fender Telecaster
Billy Corgan uses guitars with P90s, HBs, singlecoils, singlecoil sized HBs, etc.

...And so forth.

If you're expecting to cover those guys- and others on your list- with one guitar, a standard Tele isn't the best tool for the job. And a HH Tele is only slightly better.

Edit: just looked at the rigs for Kurt Cobain and Doyle Wolfgang von Frankenstein (Misfits)- Kurt used guitars with HBs, Singlecoils, and P90s; DWvF's guitar only has a HB in the bridge as its sole pickup.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2015,
If you want a Tele get a Tele. Chasing someone else's tone will leave you feeling like a dog chasing it's own tail.

Personally, I love Telecasters and have a number of them.

If you are looking for variety with your pickups I have a SH tele which has a nice variety of tones you can dial in.
"We all have idols. Play like anyone you care about but try to be yourself while you're doing so." - BB King

"The thrill is being able to do it...even if you play it badly" - The Edge.

8 Guitars, 4 Amps, 3 Multi Pedals...and never done!
A HH Tele is not a traditional Tele for certain... Nor will a split humbucker sound anything like the characteristic bridge pickup - but you might be able to do those bands quite satisfactorily with a traditional Tele. If not, a single coil sized humbucker for Tele is a straight swap.

Just my reasoning, owning two "traditional" Teles.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
...you might be able to do those bands quite satisfactorily with a traditional Tele.

...depending on your amp and pedals.

If you don't mind having active circuitry in you guitar, you could go with trad tele pickups and replace the tone control with a EMG SPC control. That will fatten up your sound to very nearly humbucker territory while still allowing you to twang. Of course you will need to rout a battery compartment under the pickguard as there is no freaking room in the tele control cavity.
Quote by ppiluk

If you are looking for variety with your pickups I have a SH tele which has a nice variety of tones you can dial in.

Here's a good option in that vein:
https://reverb.com/item/201878-godin-session-custom-2013-lightburst-hg

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 14, 2015,
A lot of the bands you listed are Strat players, so I would say single coils, perhaps even a Nashville Telecaster.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Fender mustangs are a whole different array of tones with all their neat switches, same with the jaguar. The necks are a bit shorter though so if you're used to your tension on the 25.5" scale guitars that you play you may want to increase the string gauge a bit to accommodate. Your preference really.

HH tele I would argue is a bit more versatile than the standard tele with the coil split but the standard tele will give you a more authentic single coil tone.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
I like the idea of teles, but, having owned one, I'm more than a bit prejudiced against their trad pickups. I would go uncovered HH with series-parallel or series-single switching, or HS or HSS with good singles. My personal choices would be 2*P90, but my genres are different to yours.
A G&L Fallout Tribute could work for you, and at @$500, they offer lot of guitar tones for the money. The bridge HB gets you close to some of the FNM & Misfits stuff, and the P90 in the neck gets you some beefier singlecoil tones. Plus, since the HB is splittable, you have some more singlecoil type tones on tap as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTHzrycPyHI&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9MKYvpDmoA&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS4b2E0kVTg&sns=em

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2015,
Damnit Danny, you're supposed to be helping the TS, not selling me.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
There is something about a std Tele.
It has a very distinct voice that stands out and is a very versatile guitar. Far more versatile than I thought at first. I ignored this guitar for Many years until a friend let me borrow his for a while. Now the Tele is my #1 gig axe and pretty easily covers everything but 80s metal. It handles anything from jazz, surf, rockabilly, blues, 70s Rock, grunge, psychedelic, country, and many others. With the right setup it will also do 80s metal on the bridge pu but I lean more towards an SG or Superstrat for that stuff.

Take one for a spin and see what you think. Leo got this one right.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by JustRooster
Damnit Danny, you're supposed to be helping the TS, not selling me.