Hey guys, I'm just hoping to get some opinions on the Blackouts Metal bridge pickups vs. a standard AHB1 in the bridge. I have the standard AHB1 set in my Schecter V, and lately, I've just been getting tired of the tone. I can't really put my finger on it exactly, I just know that when I play my other guitar (with a SD Black Winter set in it), the tone is phenomenally better.

Compared to the Black Winter bridge, the Blackout bridge just sounds kind of "cold" and grating -- where the BW is much warmer, yet still aggressive as hell. I don't know why -- I've owned the Blackouts for much longer and have enjoyed them -- just getting sick of them I guess.

So I thought, before I switch the whole guitar over to passives, I might look into other active offerings. I've listened to a few clips of the Blackout Metal pup and it did sound a little more organic and warm, yet still brutal. I don't know if this is really the case in person though.

So anybody that has tried both, please chime in.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
According to reviews it seems it'd have more midrange, so it might be worth testing out if you want a thick beefy tone and still want to use Active Seymour Duncans. They will have more output, similar mids, and more lows, but less treble than the Black Winters. Also an Alnico 5 magnet instead of Ceramic like the other two. I think it might be worth checking out if you're looking for some heavy chugging. But it seems to me I'd prefer more treble, so little technical things stand out. I personally use an EMG 81 in my bridge position for most of what I play. But now that I'm looking at your signature I think you'll love the Blackout Metal.=D Especially if you like the Black Winters. Good luck man.

EDIT: Warning. I have not played a Metal or Black Winter that I am aware of. This all comes from online research according to Seymour Duncan and Musician's Friend review.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.
Last edited by GraceByDeath at Dec 20, 2015,
^^Thanks for the response. More midrange might be good, I think my AHB1s are a little scooped. I'm not sure I want more output though, as that may actually be part of the problem. I'm playing through a 6505 boosted (for tightening, not more gain), and I run my gain between 3 and 4 on the dial. I kind of feel like all that output takes away from the dynamics.

I've been spending a lot of time playing my LTD FX260 with the Black Winters. So much time, that I think part of my issue is that my other guitar with the Blackouts feels different and I'm playing it differently. It has a FR bridge and a much larger radius fretboard, so it requires a different hand position while palm muting. I know this may sound weird, but as it turns out, a lot of tone DOES come from your hands/fingers. Particularly from my right hand in this case during chugs and start/stop riffing. I've been focusing on getting reacquainted with the Schecter and finding that I am starting to get a better tone out of it. I was picking in the 'wrong' place and digging in too much, which resulted in the strings hitting the fretboard and neck pickup and creating some bad noise which ruined some of that satisfying chug.

I think getting used to the Black Winters, being slightly lower output, I was teaching myself to dig in harder, which I could get away with.

Anyway, I still may change out the bridge pickup, but I may actually look at some of EMG's slightly lower output offerings (not the 81).
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Quote by KailM

Anyway, I still may change out the bridge pickup, but I may actually look at some of EMG's slightly lower output offerings (not the 81).

If you're going to check out EMGs in the bridge there are many people who enjoy an 85 in the bridge position. It has a lot more low end and a more balanced tone compared to the 81 which has a lot more bite. Also. 6505? I am jelly. I'm using a Peavey Triple XXX 212 120w combo right now. But the dream is a 6505.
Quote by Roc8995
Yes, and people still got polio and you had to crank your car up by hand and put whale oil in the lamps every night.

Things are better now.

Quote by dannyalcatraz
Style is in the hands. Taste is in the hands. But tone? Tone is in the gear.