Like the title says what are the question i should ask the owner if i'm buying a second hand amp ( tech21 tm60 if thats helps)
one of the questions i'd ask is if its good enough to play in band practise (if its loud enough to get over that drummer) also if its important to mention the bass player has a 150w tube combo.
So i basically have 2 question what questions should i ask and if its loud enough?

ps. it think its a bargain since i would get the amp for 300€ the new one is for 700€
best regards
Last edited by TIP_Matthew at Dec 14, 2015,
Just use Google to get info and learn about the amp. Read reviews and the like.
Look at posts on various forums for any info, good or bad.
Pay close attention if there are any issues that seem to come up often.
If the amp has any downsides, you can't really count on the guy selling it to you to give you that information.
Also check Amazon, Reverb, and eBay for the current used prices to see if you really are getting that good of a deal.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 14, 2015,
a friend is selling it so i would get decent info about it but ill take the advice and search google a bit
Do not count on the seller's view of the item to sell you on it. All the research on the actual item itself as new from a factory should be done with as unbiased a source as possible. The seller's opinion on the item may not be how the item actually is. Even if he is your friend. c:

Just from looking at it, I would think it can hold up in a band but you'll have to push it. Your bass player could probably easily drown you out so everyone just needs to play with control.

Are you able to test it out? If you are I would put it at max volume on a clean setting and stand about 15 feet away from it and hit a full E chord. You should feel your eardrums distorting the sound. At least that is how I would test out volume. That is what I hear with a loud drummer, so I would want to match that with my amp. Make sure it is not the speaker or amp distorting, though. You should feel it in your ears. Of course do not expose yourself to that sound level for long. I am not responsible for any hearing damages.

Questions you should ask second-hand sellers are ones about the item's condition. As in if everything works properly, if any maintenance needs to be done regularly to it or if it needs maintenance immediately, physical condition like scuffs or scrapes, replaced parts, etc.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 14, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane

Just from looking at it, I would think it can hold up in a band but you'll have to push it. Your bass player could probably easily drown you out so everyone just needs to play with control.

Are you able to test it out? If you are I would put it at max volume on a clean setting and stand about 15 feet away from it and hit a chord. You should feel your eardrums distorting the sound. At least that is how I would test out volume.

well the owner said that he usually has it at half volume at his band practise
(its more of an jazzy rockabilly band if that counts)
the thing about testing it out i can do it.. but im kind of ashamed cause i'm kind of shit hah..hah..ha..h..h.... putting that out of the way.
i think it should be loud enough if he isn't lying
Quote by TIP_Matthew
Like the title says what are the question i should ask the owner if i'm buying a second hand amp ( tech21 tm60 if thats helps)
one of the questions i'd ask is if its good enough to play in band practise (if its loud enough to get over that drummer) also if its important to mention the bass player has a 150w tube combo.
So i basically have 2 question what questions should i ask and if its loud enough?

ps. it think its a bargain since i would get the amp for 300€ the new one is for 700€
best regards

1) the only questions you should be asking are about technical issues with the amp - has it been serviced - has anything ever failed on it etc.?

2) asking if the amp is loud enough for jamming with your specific band is an impossible question for him to answer. It's probably more than loud enough for jamming. you should research reviews online about those things.

3) Bass player amps wattage doesn't mean anything - guitar amp wattage is always much lower. I play with a 30 watt tube amp that can drown out my bass player's 300 watt Ampeg. Ignore wattage basically.
Quote by Will Lane
^ XD Well okay having another half of the volume to go is good..

Having another half of the volume to go means nothing at all.

Very often you'll get everything the amp has to give in terms of volume gain within the first three or four notches. After that, you may simply increase distortion with no significant volume increase.

The Trademark 60 is a 60W amp that should be close to good enough to work with a medium-loud drummer. Your bass player is immaterial; he should have an amp that's around four times as powerful as what your guitar player is using if he's supposed to match volumes and if the guitar player is at full bore.

The seller will not be able to answer the question, "Is it loud enough?"

Check all the pots for scratchiness (and for proper operation). Make sure that all the presets actually work and change the sound. Make sure there are no weird noises when the amp is turned on and running. Be sure to check switchable things like boost and reverb, and have the owner show you any special switching. Listen for anything that sounds odd about the speaker (scratchiness from the cone, etc.) when you're using the amp clean. Are you getting a footswitch with the amp? Does it come with one normally?

Here in the US that's a $600 (give or take) amp brand new, and it should come with a three-switch foot pedal.
Quote by dkcol
How much do you want for your second hand?

If he'd typed 'I am buying a second hand' then your joke would have worked. Good try though