as i have been doing my own bit of market research from being at the music store and having to talk to customers and sales reps as well as being on forums like UG and TGP i have come to realize that there is a lot of snake oil/garbage/cattle dung/lies in a lot of consumer products. even prices are a dirty lie. an item is not really $800, it is $400 by itself but markup and other added costs double that. the poor consumer. that is not something necessarily broken because middle men need to be paid but i hate to be ignorant to anything although some of you will call this post ignorant.

what is even worse is any sort of "deal" on an item that is nothing more than a comparison between the msrp and the map. if you do not know what those are then get in retail and find out.

another thing is using the term "quality" in reference to a product. the store owner lady had been looking at getting a low-budget marching snare for a customer. she told the customer that the sales rep at the distributor said it was a quality instrument. it may or may not be but really is someone going to say "yeah it will break on you" no the salesman is going to say it is of good quality. likely it is not. another way of saying it is "nice" which is silly because it is entirely relative to the individuals experience and comparisons to other objects of the same type.

whenever someone asks if something is of good quality i try to be as honest as i can. i will say something of the sort, "yes, it is of good quality relative to the price. i mean you can go up and up and get higher quality but this item is good to not have to dump a lot of money into an item but still have something that is inspiring." it seems to me that if a customer has to ask if something is quality or nice they probably have no clue if it really is or not. they do not know what to look for and what is a warning sign. so the sales rep can say whatever they want and convince the gullible customer, which is dirty. i do not do that.

tl;dr the consumer market involves a lot of lies to sell products.

discuss your experiences or do nothing all-together. i think a lot of us know about this kind of thing already. i just wanted to post my experiences.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 14, 2015,
I bought a taco and consumed it and it did not contain any lies.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Joshua Garcia

Pretty sure like 99% of people already know this.
if it was from taco bell i think like 30% of the beef filling is just filler of like oats or salt or something

i do like taco bell tho

and is that 99% of people knowing market stuff or about tacos. because i do not think so for the former. i think a lot of people know that markup exists but to what extent and what other market tricks there are i do not think so.
TIL: Something a lot of people already know.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
TIL: Something a lot of people already know.
is that really the case you think? maybe i'm the one on the slow boat.

the majority of customers that come in the music store definitely do not seem like they know much or anything about the markup figures or how quality is perceived and determined, by either the sales rep or someone who knows what they are looking for. in fact one chap came in the other day asking about the msrp and map prices on a tag for a piano. he said "how is this working that you are able to discount it from $1,199 to $699? is there something wrong with it?"

or maybe the people who come in the music store and the ones i was given these experiences from are the 1% of people who do not know much.
yeah i think most people are aware of the amount of lies involved with consumerism, they just either dont care or willingly submit themselves to it because yay STUFF

i hate the west, man
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Will Lane
if it was from taco bell i think like 30% of the beef filling is just filler of like oats or salt or something

i do like taco bell tho

and is that 99% of people knowing market stuff or about tacos. because i do not think so for the former. i think a lot of people know that markup exists but to what extent and what other market tricks there are i do not think so.
It was from a local restaurant.
They offer bean and cheese.
I consumed it.
I found it quite bean-y and cheesy.

i edited it out since I figured you probably already knew and just wanted to post your experience But yeah, the former. Most people just assume things aren't worth what they pay for all the time. They don't need to know to what extent to know it's probably a lie.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Acϵ♠
yeah i think most people are aware of the amount of lies involved with consumerism, they just either dont care or willingly submit themselves to it because yay STUFF

This
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Acϵ♠

i hate the west, man

Especially if its shiny and has flashing lights on it.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
here is another fun one

a guy came in just now, he left the same minute i started typing this

he came in for picks and then went to ask about amplifiers. he asked about our orange amps and asked if they were popular. i said "yeah they are popular for the british high-gain sound along with marshalls." and he said "yeah there was another british amp that worked well with a rickenbacker i just cannot remember the name of it."

i said with a grin on my face "are you thinking of VOX?"

he lit up and said "yeaaah that's it VOX! they were the amp. the brits used to make them. but you know what i don't want one of them you know why?"

"why is that?" (i knew where he was going)

"they are made in china now!"

"oof. why don't you want one made from china?"

"they are just so bad quality!" and he continues to ramble on about how he won't deal with any -nese (chinese, japanese, etc) for guitars amps or "even guns!". "american made is just so much better!"

he says "i once was with my buddies hunting and had an american gun and it was raining. before we even got to the field my buddies with the asian guns were rusting but mine was fine." ramble ramble ramble

i said "well sir i have a VOX AC30C2 and she is absolutely lovely. she is made in china."

"i won't have any of it. it's not good quality." and he left grumpy.

i was about to offer to him that i would bring in my VOX and let him play on it one day. but he left by the time i thought it was appropriate.
And Ive been in shops where I had to check a serial number and verify the year cause the employees didnt have a single clue how to do it. I knew more about the product than the shop guys did for sure. It can go both ways
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
after working as a guitar tech in a shop, i hate going to guitar stores. the employees either know very little, or they REALLY know their stuff but are annoying weirdos.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
after working as a guitar tech in a shop, i hate going to guitar stores. the employees either know very little, or they REALLY know their stuff but are annoying weirdos.

Totes.

Amp techs are the worst too. Theyre always old and super smelly.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by Will Lane

i do like taco bell tho

Eat that steak and potato crunchwrap yo
Xbox Live: DeSquared94
PSN: desquared94
Quote by Joshua Garcia

Love those stupid Doritos tacos. The strawberry freeze at Taco Bell is better than anywhere else.
Quote by Will Lane
here is another fun one

a guy came in just now, he left the same minute i started typing this

he came in for picks and then went to ask about amplifiers. he asked about our orange amps and asked if they were popular. i said "yeah they are popular for the british high-gain sound along with marshalls." and he said "yeah there was another british amp that worked well with a rickenbacker i just cannot remember the name of it."

i said with a grin on my face "are you thinking of VOX?"

he lit up and said "yeaaah that's it VOX! they were the amp. the brits used to make them. but you know what i don't want one of them you know why?"

"why is that?" (i knew where he was going)

"they are made in china now!"

"oof. why don't you want one made from china?"

"they are just so bad quality!" and he continues to ramble on about how he won't deal with any -nese (chinese, japanese, etc) for guitars amps or "even guns!". "american made is just so much better!"

he says "i once was with my buddies hunting and had an american gun and it was raining. before we even got to the field my buddies with the asian guns were rusting but mine was fine." ramble ramble ramble

i said "well sir i have a VOX AC30C2 and she is absolutely lovely. she is made in china."

"i won't have any of it. it's not good quality." and he left grumpy.

i was about to offer to him that i would bring in my VOX and let him play on it one day. but he left by the time i thought it was appropriate.

Calling an amp "she" though
(but lol at the guy and stuff, I genuinely enjoyed the rest of the anecdote, nice anecdote Will Lane )

I came here to post this though hmu (only steve_muse will possibly hmu but idgaf)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OicyfVdpZQg

Actually this post is awful, I think I'm becoming a shitposter...
ya, it's worse than ever with quality control of products. I'm in construction and you can buy name brand whatever that goes to shit in a few uses. I never thought I would see manufacturers make nails and screws cheap enough to be called, shit. I guess the point is, even if you think your buying wise, you never really know what your getting.
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
Last edited by mattedbird at Dec 14, 2015,
Quote by Acϵ♠

i hate the west, man

yeah it's a tough old fukn life innir
that's corporatism for ya

live in the woods, or get used to it
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
guitars are nothing in this dept. you wann cry about mark up then look at gem stones. diamonds have a minimum markup of 400% that's right minimum. you really want to know who was fucking you super bad tehn look no further than your cell phone. remember the days when the made us pay for txt messages? do you know what the markup on those was before they so generously decided to give them to us "free". 4000% yes 4000. things like bottled water are pretty big stick it to you as well.
I can't believe people are so stupid they waste their money on stuff like jewelry. Total waste of money and a horrible investment.
yeah innit if there's one thing in the world i literally cannot understand for the life of me it's why people use money to buy stuff i don't like
Quote by TobusRex
I can't believe people are so stupid they waste their money on stuff like jewelry. Total waste of money and a horrible investment.

your not married are you
Quote by TobusRex

You know, I totally agree with you...

...I also just bought a piece of jewelry for the gf

fuk this ghey consumerist earth

I already told her to expect nothing more than a ring pop if she wants to get engaged

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Dec 14, 2015,
Quote by Xiaoxi
You know, I totally agree with you...

...I also just bought a piece of jewelry for the gf

fuk this ghey consumerist earth

I already told her to expect nothing more than a ring pop if she wants to get engaged

You should've just given her a pearl necklace and been done with it.
Free Ali
Free Lard
From an investment perspective jewelry is about as bad as it gets. You can blow $10,000 on an engagement ring and the second you walk out the door that ring is now worth $1,500. What a scam. She'd be better off if you just gave her a check for $2,000.