Im in a band and I have a problem.
First of all, im the rhythm guitarist of our band. My best friend is the lead gutarist AND vocalist, thats my problem. He has been playing for 8 years and is a very good player and nothing special when it come to singing. Im nowhere near good enough to take the lead gutarist role, and to some extent I feel like im holding my band back from reaching their full potentiol. I need to know if anybody has any tips for making me stand out more so that my friends does not outshine me and so that people will actually notice me.

Thanks
A band is a machine made up of parts. One part is not harder/better than another. Some lead guitarists can't fill the rhythm role for shit.

The moment you decide to stop giving two craps about being noticed, you'll enjoy yourself more. Christ, I'm a bassist, I know what I'm talking about here.
If you care about the band reaching its full potential you should stop thinking about people outshining you. If he is better than you he will probably outshine you, definitely if he's the show-offy type. Are the others satisfied with your playing? Also, you seem a bit bitter about him being the singer. Do you feel his singing is good enough? If not, do you think he would agree to not be the singer? If not, the band isn't going to reach it's full potential anyway (in your eyes) so probably don't worry...
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Dec 14, 2015,
Ultimately, you have to look at it as "will this benefit the band" rather than "will this make me look good". If your buddy's playing and voice match the sound your band is going for, then he's probably going to stick around in that position.

I'm really not entirely sure what you're looking for. You can implement cool, flashy things into your playing, but if it doesn't benefit the song, you will stand out, and not in a good way.
BLIP
I'm not a gigging musician. From that perspective I can offer no advice.

If you want to be NOTICED, on the other hand, I can help you with that. You want to create your own unique stage persona. Wear crazy, loud clothes. Do some antics on stage, maybe, as long as it doesn't hurt your band's performance. Put a KFC chicken bucket on your head, if it turns you on.
If you care about feeling special maybe try writing songs for ze band and see how that goes?
If you actually want to help the band out the most maybe you should just get really tight with your rhythym playing..
play shows naked with the exception of a luchador mask.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
TS, you clearly have no idea what you want.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by keir118
Im in a band and I have a problem.
First of all, im the rhythm guitarist of our band. My best friend is the lead gutarist AND vocalist, thats my problem. He has been playing for 8 years and is a very good player and nothing special when it come to singing. Im nowhere near good enough to take the lead gutarist role, and to some extent I feel like im holding my band back from reaching their full potentiol. I need to know if anybody has any tips for making me stand out more so that my friends does not outshine me and so that people will actually notice me.

Thanks

Wear a funny hat, that will make you stand out. Or one of those glasses with a fake nose and moustache.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by DragonsHaveScal
Ultimately, you have to look at it as "will this benefit the band" rather than "will this make me look good". If your buddy's playing and voice match the sound your band is going for, then he's probably going to stick around in that position.

I'm really not entirely sure what you're looking for. You can implement cool, flashy things into your playing, but if it doesn't benefit the song, you will stand out, and not in a good way.

this in a nutshell. dude the band is supposed to "shine" as a whole not the individuals. look at any successful band and you'll see that. sure some guys get more press but believe me they wouldn't if the rest of the band sucked. play your parts and make them sound as good as you can. make sure your tone is great and remember that you are part of the backbone of the band. a great rhythm section often stands out more than a flashy lead to the audience. keep in mind that most listenrs don't know the solos but they know the riffs and chorus. blow those and the song goes to hell fast.
Lead guitarists are meant to be all flashy. Trust me your experience isn't so bad, in my first band I was a (crappy since I just started, really) rhythm guitarist and all we did was play covers of meh punk rock songs and when I suggested we maybe write stuff to the lead guitarist who acted like he owned the band he went crazy and said we play covers because we give the crowd what it wants, that he didn't make the band for fun but for money. WE WERE LIKE 13 WTF?! We didn't even gig in the first place, never in my life had I seen such delusion. At that moment I was like, yup, goodbye. He was a friend too. Now I make songs with the bassist from that band since we're like the buddiest of buddies and that awful band dissolved into nothing like 5 years ago.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Last edited by sasquatchjosh96 at Dec 15, 2015,
Practice, study, practice, study, practice....repeat. Playing rhythym guitar....GOOD rhythm guitar isnt as easy as most think. Anyone can strum a major chord in 4/4 to give a foundation but someone thats really good at rhythm can play things that carry the song but also adds something interesting.

Learn chord substitution, chord tone melody, harmonization, which chord fragments work and which dont...incorporate all that into your playing. Eventually you'll develop a style and while people may not immediatly notice you playing live you'll start to have a huge influence on your bands sound.
Quote by mutex77
Practice, study, practice, study, practice....repeat. Playing rhythym guitar....GOOD rhythm guitar isnt as easy as most think. Anyone can strum a major chord in 4/4 to give a foundation but someone thats really good at rhythm can play things that carry the song but also adds something interesting.

Learn chord substitution, chord tone melody, harmonization, which chord fragments work and which dont...incorporate all that into your playing. Eventually you'll develop a style and while people may not immediatly notice you playing live you'll start to have a huge influence on your bands sound.

Rhythm guitar is a lot more fun to me, I lose interest try to learn any solos or leady type stuff, Much more fun to learn badass riffs. Tho the only solo ive sat down and tried to learn is the flood solo by pantera, Dime has some really cool lead shit.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Practice the right stuff and you can be better. For instance, do you know how to play all of your major7, dominant7, minor7 and minor7b5 chords? Do you know how to invert them to have any of the 4 notes as the lowest or highest however you wish? If you do, then you're a lot better than you think. If not learn them. Then, learn all of your 9, 11 and 13 extensions for each of those 4 chords (maj7, 7, m7 & m7b5). If you can do all that you're an expert. That would grant you the ability to play any jazz standard you wanted just by looking at the chord chart. That's a great skill especially for a rhythm guitarist.

Wanna take his job as lead guitarist?

Learn all 7 modes in all 12 keys. Easy for a guitarist, we use frets not keys. Then, learn all 4 of the 7th chords I meantioned above as arpeggios spanning 2 octaves.

That's make you a double expert. The tricky thing is finding a pattern or formula that works for you. I solved my problems by tuning in 4ths. It makes shapes vital and super useful. It makes my life easier.
Quote by korinaflyingv
That wasn't a joke you're just wrong

Don't be mad you don't know your arpeggios.
Just play the best you can. Don't worry about someone else being better than you just play as well as you can. Nothing brings about the demise of a band faster than someone with an ego who doesn't share the idea that band is not based on internal competition. It's a matter of cooperation and doing what's best for the band as a whole, not who is showing off the most. In a lot of bands I played in the person who seemed most important and grabbed most of the spotlight, was usually the person doing the least amount of work behind the scenes. Just be happy in the knowledge that you are doing your best to fit in. Let someone else be the star.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
gamelan music. all the parts add up to one instrument #westernperspective
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by ehbacon
steal a few plays from GG Allin's book. That'll get you noticed fast

btw you shouldn't be in a band to get attention. You should be in a band because you love music.

Live fast, spread hepatitis.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug