i was just like any one of you

whammying w/o a whammy bar and sucking dick for marijuanas

then i met wolframalpha

i emphatically exclaimed "now we're in business!"

now i am a successful businessman
are you yope's replacement

(was it yope who was banned i wasnt there?)
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Wolfram alpha and mathematica could not help me with the math problems I faced in the last few years.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Banjocal
are you yope's replacement

(was it yope who was banned i wasnt there?)

Wait yope was banned?
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by gonzaw
Wolfram Alpha seems, from the outside, this super dope tool that apparently can solve the universe, yet I never seem to find any uses for it

Cavemen and Computers.

The fact that you can't find a use is immaterial to the value of the tool.

Other than the reading I've done, I couldn't tell you the value of the LHC, but I'm reasonably sure that the people who understand it can.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Cavemen and Computers.

Other than the reading I've done, I couldn't tell you the value of the LHC, but I'm reasonably sure that the people who understand it can.

it's more to do with the fact that wolframalpha becomes much less useful once you progress to upper year university math.
Quote by Godsmack_IV
it's more to do with the fact that wolframalpha becomes much less useful once you progress to upper year university math.

Basically. Math for me became more and more abstract over the years. Wolfram alpha doesn't help you with proofs and such.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
Basically. Math for me became more and more abstract over the years. Wolfram alpha doesn't help you with proofs and such.

oh, forget AMPL. you want Coq.
Iunno I think it's still usable in uni. Obviously you won't be able to just input the problem and get an answer, because if you could, your professor would be naive for giving you problems like that.

But it's still a useful tool, like a very advanced calculator.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Dec 15, 2015,
Quote by Godsmack_IV

Example?
Charles Darwin
it can't be programmed so it ends up being pretty useless to me. most i use it for is finding eigenvalue and eigenvectors on my phone, as well as roots of polynomials. otherwise i'll use more robust software

i do very little computation these days anyway
I find it pretty useful for graphing especially 3d parametric equations
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Does English have a word for eigen?

You use property to name that which you own but Wiki says 'proper value' fell out of use and I can't really see someone using 'proper' to denote ownership.

It's always interesting how languages often don't have existing words or ways of forming words to suit certain needs.

We use 'lastnina' for property and 'vrednost' for value and can use them perfectly to form 'lastna vrednost' - the eigenvalue - without any confusion. In the same way we form 'strahospoštovanje' out of 'strah', which is fear and 'spoštovanje' which is respect to get a word that means respect born out of fear.

But our language will strugle to form words which are very natural and well-understood in English. I can't name any examples off the top of my head but I've encountered plenty so far. And it's just the strangest thing. Feels like a glitch in the matrix.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
It's confusing that you've got a dutch word in your usertitle Jamsession., considering the other bear is actually dutch. How do I remember who is who now?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
hehe "coq"

This is my contribution here.

damn you beat me to coq
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
There is only one bear, one goal, one true vision.

One heart, one soul,
Just one solution.
One flash of light, yeah,
One god, one vision.

Ein Fleisch, ein Blut,
Ein wahrer Glaube.
Ein Ruf, ein Traum,
Ein starker Wille.
Ja! Ja! Ja! Ja!
Gebt mir ein Leitbild.

Nicht falsch, nicht recht.
Ich sag' es dir: das Schwarz
Und Weiß ist kein Beweis.
Nicht Tod, nicht Not.
Wir brauchen bloß
Ein Leitbild für die Welt.

Ein Fleisch, ein Blut,
Ein wahrer Glaube.
Eine Rasse und ein Traum,
Ein starker Wille.
Jawohl! Ja! Ja! Ja! Jawohl!

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Quote by gonzaw
Wolfram Alpha seems, from the outside, this super dope tool that apparently can solve the universe, yet I never seem to find any uses for it

I had a genuine question for it once, something like 'what was the weather like in Los Angeles on yada yada' and it didn't know. shitty website
Quote by Arby911
Cavemen and Computers.

Quote by Eastwinn
it can't be programmed so it ends up being pretty useless to me.

This.
Either it solves trivial stuff I could just google (or google an online tool to do for me), or it fails to solve complicated stuff which forces me to write a script to solve (which I'm more comfortable with and thus will solve in faster time)
Quote by gonzaw
This.
Either it solves trivial stuff I could just google (or google an online tool to do for me), or it fails to solve complicated stuff which forces me to write a script to solve (which I'm more comfortable with and thus will solve in faster time)

As noted earlier, how about an example?

Edit: Never mind, It just dawned on me that I equate Wolfram and Mathematica and wasn't actually thinking of Wolfram Alpha.

My apologies.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Dec 15, 2015,

The whole story is quite complicated. But for me one important starting point is the difference in the typical workflows for calculational mathematics and pure mathematics. Calculational mathematics tends to involve setting up calculational questions, and then working through them to get results—just like in typical interactive Mathematica sessions. But pure mathematics tends to involve taking mathematical objects, results or structures, coming up with statements about them, and then giving proofs to show why those statements are true.

that's the gist of the issue. in calculational questions, you tell wolframalpha: "i am interested in x, give me x". pure math has a more exploratory approach: "what is interesting about x, why is it so?". in regards to calculational questions, both wolframalpha and mathematica can be thought of as really fancy calculators and are thus very useful. in the realm of pure math, however, they are diminished to mere search engines.
When it was coming out it had so much potential but ended up not really fulfilling that. The creators kinda sexed up its claims.
It's a very good thing that your life turned around and you became a productive hard-working businessman.

Unlike all these sad losers and bums here on the forum, you now have a better chance at living the awesome life like I do everyday.

Keep it up.
Quote by Rebel Scum
When it was coming out it had so much potential but ended up not really fulfilling that. The creators kinda sexed up its claims.

classic stephen wolfram
Quote by Arby911
As noted earlier, how about an example?

Edit: Never mind, It just dawned on me that I equate Wolfram and Mathematica and wasn't actually thinking of Wolfram Alpha.

My apologies.

Mathematica is just a better version of Alpha right? I used it when Alpha would not give the answer cause of time constraints. In my last year of my master however, mathematics usually involved using fixed-point theorems and other crap to prove uniqueness and existence of the solution etc.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ