I have been confused when it comes to learning chords. It talked about learning shapes. I am confused by exactly what this means. Is this an actual shape that your fingers make, or is it the something else? I know this may seem like a dumb question, but it would help. And if you have tips on learning the chords quicker that'd be cool too. Scales seem easier to learn to me.
A chord shape(take "c" for example) is the specific fingering for that chord. Chords are notes played together in groups of three or more(except for power chords). There are infinite ways to play a "c" chord on the guitar, depending on position, tuning, and preference. The "standard", or rather common, open c chord shape you might be familiar with is just one of many, many ways to play a c chord on the guitar. Most chord charts will show the most common shapes(also called fingerings) of each chord included on the chart. These are just fine to start with. When you start learning more songs and more theory, you will discover many different ways to play the same chord.
For learning chords, or anything on the guitar, do not take short cuts, as this will hurt you in the long run. Believe me, you do not want to so this. I suggest learning simple songs with only three or four chords in it to start out with. Reply with some of what you like and I can make some suggestions.
Pertainig to scales, What you are learning are most likely scale shapes, much like chord shapes I mentioned earlier. There are scale formulas, like chord formulas, that tell what notes are in each scale. Ther are many, many ways to play the same scale on the guitar.
Finally, don't give up. Learning the guitar was a very rewarding experience. Hell I'm still learning. I have a long way to go, but am more than glad to be able to help someone else. I suggest getting a good guitar method book for beginners. I cut my teeth on old Mel Bay and Hal-Lenord books. Like I said, reply with some songs and bands you like, and I'll point you to some tabs on the site or suggest some others. Fell free to message me if you have any other questions, or ask them in the forums. There are alot of guys who know there stuff on here, and who have helped me before.
Also, there are no dumb questions. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
I would say that I like almost anything honestly. I have Hal Leonard method 1 and a chord book. I like Led Zeppelin, Tool, Metallica, BB King, Disturbed, Pink Floyd, Pantera, Slipknot, A Perfect Circle, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Albert King, Sinatra, and that is just the beginning. I found learning the notes on the fretboard and scales easier to learn for me, but I know I have to learn chords to make music. Thank you for the help.
I could put something cliche here like "Music is Life", but I'd rather say.......Hello........Is it me you're looking for?!
Maybe you would like Sweet Home Alabama or Back in Black. You can strum the chords to the first if you like, and Em, D, and A are good replacements for the riff in the second. Also if you like more modern stuff, Scars is really easy, as is just strumming some stuff by Staind. Just have fun with it so you won't hate learning.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major