Can someone recommend some brands? I don't know where to start. Don't want to spend a ton of money but also don't want something that will have a negative impact on the sound (if that's possible -- total newbie here)
Cables don't need to be matched to guitars or anything. There's some tiny difference between how cables sound but they're not better or worse, just different, and even then it's usually very hard to hear. I wouldn't worry about it, just don't run a hundred feet of cable or anything.

Usual decent brands (you still want something reliable, that's the biggest factor) are Planet Waves, Lava Cable, and Live Wires. I'd stay away from anything crazy expensive or crazy cheap, there's nonsense on both ends. Some brands have a lifetime replacement policy, I think Planet Waves and Lava still do theirs.
^ What he said! Something around 10 to 20 feet in the $25 to $40 price range will usually be decent. I use planet waves cables, which like most brands in that price range have a lifetime guarantee and they will replace cables if they break or whatever.
Last edited by gurg06 at Dec 15, 2015,
Depends on how many cables. If it is one or two I'd suggest Fatsoflex by Spectraflex. Have had a few of these and they are indestructible, with much better isolation and overall bigger wire conductivity...but those are not cheap.

To be honest though, I've gotten good results even from cheaper cables, these are actually well made, they sent me test pack and it has lasted over 2 years, no issues, no signal loss that I can tell:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/rapco-horizon-standard-guitar-cable