Especially to those of you who are looking for their first post-graduation job or just went through such a process, do you just take the first job that is on your level, or do you actually take into account your morals, ambitions etc.

I am asking cause I am a bit disillusioned with the entire process. For any decent job the process takes months and lots of people are invited, which means that the chance of getting the job are low. Now, a big company just called that they want me to work for them. Problem? It's an insurance company and they want me to do what would be my 3rd master while working for them. I have never envisioned myself to work in that industry nor that I would be expected to do that much extra schooling in what would basically be my free time. Of course there are upsides and downsides to it, but am I really prepared to wait for any of these other jobs to come through for me? I don't know, I get a call back for everything that I have applied to, cause I have a great grade list, but I have no work experience outside from being a teaching assistent for twice 6 months which has led to them taking other people in 2 instances. So this would fill that empty slot, but I am stuck to this decision for quite a while.

Main question remains: do you have any standards when looking for a job? But helping me would also be appreciated.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
dont be a sellout
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
dont be a sellout

It's not selling out.

It's buying in.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If you're very good at what you do, job hunting is pretty easy.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Burgery
dont be a sellout

My thinking, but it could be a great opportunity. If I go down the sell out road and do take up the experience and the master degree in Actuarial Sciences, I could becomes a very rich banker down the line, with no morals or self-esteem whatsoever. How many people can say they have crashed the world wide market?

I could become this hero:
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Money > Morals every time.

Morals won't pay your mortgage or your alimony bills come 15 years from now.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Arby, with all due respect, it's VERY different nowadays. Well, over here it is, at least.

OT: I'm far too much a student to 'know' my standards yet, and I've little experience outside of smaller bouts of work between studying. In the more freelance-based industries there's even more a danger of getting the shitty clients (see: Clients From Hell) so at the moment my standards are: not a complete and total asshole to me, are serious about their commission, won't ask for a 'freebie' when it's a full job, etc.

And even that's unrealistic.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
Arby, with all due respect, it's VERY different nowadays. Well, over here it is, at least.

OT: I'm far too much a student to 'know' my standards yet, and I've little experience outside of smaller bouts of work between studying. In the more freelance-based industries there's even more a danger of getting the shitty clients (see: Clients From Hell) so at the moment my standards are: not a complete and total asshole to me, are serious about their commission, won't ask for a 'freebie' when it's a full job, etc.

And even that's unrealistic.

I have 0 experience. I just sent out applications to things that were relevant to my degree (which weren't many) and that looked fun, even if they wanted more experience then I had. Still in contention for 2 of them out of 4, but the next round is in januari so that is a fucking waste of a month. Gonna send out more applications this week to new openings and other sectors.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Jobs are for chumps, leeching is the way to go.
SANDBLAST YOURSELF.

Quote by i_lovemetallica
If you think Gollum was sober with his whole "Gollum/Smeagol" thing and thinking he was invisible with the ring, then you need to remove the cotton wool from your eyes.

Wake up sheeple.

Sunaj
Quote by nanna_guy414
Jobs are for chumps, leeching is the way to go.

I want to be self-sufficient after 6 years of leaching on my parents and the government.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Lol, if your morals suggest that making profit through voluntary transactions by efficiently providing a service or good is bad, you're stupid and have the wrong morals. Take a job that pays well if not for the life experience to see what it's really like out there.
I imagine the problem many have is that the service is efficient but the profit isn't actually profitable. Unless your mom blows the manager or your dad is a judge.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by seanlang01
Lol, if your morals suggest that making profit through voluntary transactions by efficiently providing a service or good is bad, you're stupid and have the wrong morals. Take a job that pays well if not for the life experience to see what it's really like out there.

My main qualm with the insurance market is that it is boring, but we can talk about the morality of it of course. If you take into account the barriers to entry, market power etc. the profit mechanism that exists afterwards does not lead to the social optimum. It leads to a situation where prices are too high and supply too low. And not all transactions are voluntary in a strict sense considering they are mandatory. For example, if you own a car you have to have car insurance (for the damage you do unto others).
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Dec 15, 2015,
You gotta have standards to an extent otherwise you're gonna be unhappy with your life. But it's not a bad thing to lower them a little bit if you're having trouble.

I was so adamant I'd never work in retail again that I took 6 months of unemployment over going back to my old job at a supermarket. I had a Masters degree, I wasn't going to do jobs like that, and I wanted a career that'd challenge my intellectually.

After 6 months I was bored and took the job as a lab tech in a local school which was pretty below my expectations in quality of work, hours I was doing as well as pay but it was something to do in the mornings which went on the CV. I got my current job from doing that role (networking is very important) so it doesn't hurt to lower your expectations a bit.

Post-graduation I think a lot of people are aiming for £20-£25k jobs straight out of university as a graduate with lots of benefits. The reality is you're probably going to have to start a bit lower and work your way up so some lowered expectations wouldn't hurt, because your qualities will show through in the long run.

longing rusted furnace daybreak seventeen benign nine homecoming one freight car
I took the first job offered through a friend after finishing college because it payed more than double than what I was making and had employee benefits.

I think that depending on your living situation you may not have a choice in considering morals.
Sometimes you do things that are boring/suck/etc. now so that you can do what you want to do later. I worked a LOT of hours, at some truly shit jobs, when I was younger so I don't have to do it now.

No one owes you meaningful, profitable and fulfilling employment, you have to earn (or create) that yourself.
Charles Darwin
I have put aside my personal preferences when job hunting. It was easy for me because I knew the job was temporary in each case. I didn't always enjoy them, but now that they're part of my resume and interviewers have been impressed by them, I don't regret them a single bit. They are part of my journey to a future career that I will enjoy.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I have put aside my personal preferences when job hunting. It was easy for me because I knew the job was temporary in each case. I didn't always enjoy them, but now that they're part of my resume and interviewers have been impressed by them, I don't regret them a single bit. They are part of my journey to a future career that I will enjoy.

Sure, but "while you are working for us you have to go to multiple training sessions and even do a full master programme", doesn't sound that short term to me.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
i'm basically at the point where i'm applying for anything local related to my field regardless of whether it demands an education or not, but being a lot more picky regarding postings that would force me to relocate. 7 months out of school and I've had 1 job interview.
Quote by Neo Evil11
Sure, but "while you are working for us you have to go to multiple training sessions and even do a full master programme", doesn't sound that short term to me.

It is short term compared to your entire working life. If it sounds like something you would be able to do despite not being 100% into it, I would do it. If you can't see yourself lasting even a few months then don't do it.
cat
Quote by Godsmack_IV
i'm basically at the point where i'm applying for anything local related to my field regardless of whether it demands an education or not, but being a lot more picky regarding postings that would force me to relocate. 7 months out of school and I've had 1 job interview.

That's shite. Good luck m8.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by guitarxo
It is short term compared to your entire working life. If it sounds like something you would be able to do despite not being 100% into it, I would do it. If you can't see yourself lasting even a few months then don't do it.

I am very good at sticking to things even if I don't like them lol. My main issue is that there are jobs out there that I like and that I have a chance of getting. If I accept something like this, I am forsaking those opportunities.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11

In context anything less than 5 years is short term.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Neo Evil11
My main qualm with the insurance market is that it is boring, but we can talk about the morality of it of course. If you take into account the barriers to entry, market power etc. the profit mechanism that exists afterwards does not lead to the social optimum. It leads to a situation where prices are too high and supply too low. And not all transactions are voluntary in a strict sense considering they are mandatory. For example, if you own a car you have to have car insurance (for the damage you do unto others).

That's a fair point, and if that's what bothers you so much then more power to you for seeking out other employment. However, those jobs exist whether you take them or not and you personally are not responsible for that economic situation. You have to make due with the way the world is now.
Quote by seanlang01
That's a fair point, and if that's what bothers you so much then more power to you for seeking out other employment. However, those jobs exist whether you take them or not and you personally are not responsible for that economic situation. You have to make due with the way the world is now.

I put morals in the title cause I can see how it might be a problem for others. It really doesn't bother me much. Got a call back from the institution in which I provided them with the rationale and moral backing for firing most of their 55+ year old staff.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Really? That's interesting. That would probably get you fired over here, let alone a call-back, ... Or would it? Hmmm
Quote by seanlang01
Really? That's interesting. That would probably get you fired over here, let alone a call-back, ... Or would it? Hmmm

How can they disagree with facts? Funny thing is that it wasn't even a management position or anything. Not even sure how we ended up discussing it.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Outside of a few very well-defined exceptions, it's illegal in the US to discriminate on the basis of age, either in hiring or firing.

As it should be. Age is a marginal indicator of either competence or obsolescence.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Outside of a few very well-defined exceptions, it's illegal in the US to discriminate on the basis of age, either in hiring or firing.

As it should be. Age is a marginal indicator of either competence or obsolescence.

It wasn't based on the age but the qualifications. They were now turning to young data scientists. The department that it is replacing was filled with lowly qualified 55+ people who would probably have a difficult time obtaining a new job.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Arby911

Says the old man
Quote by seanlang01
Says the old man

That knife cuts both ways...
Charles Darwin