Page 1 of 2
This may get long winded so be warned.

Is life actually important? Or is it only as important as you perceive it? I think that as a whole,my life really doesn't amount to shit in the grand scheme of things. This may sound defeatist or "woe is me", i assure you i am not interested in either.

The strangest thought crossed my mind the other day when an old lady fell and broke her wrist at my place of employment. She fell..wrist snapped and she started screaming uncontrollably, yet no one other than our staff (me and one other) and her family were the least comcerned with her condition, not even so much as to inquire of her status. It made me realize that our lives dont have any more worth than what we or our immediate friends/family place on them. And the same goes for the friends/family so its all simply a fabrication at its very core to begin with.

Right now if i were completely erased from existence, the world would continue on just like the days past.

Im beginning to think that we are all very unimportant and only as important as we are perceived.

What if i created a cure for cancer? Makes zero difference in reality because death is inevitable. Why try and prolong our existence when it is actually quite trivial to begin with and were only as important as we think we are.

I've been called crazy before...so by all means don't be bashful in your replies....they make no difference anyway.
No.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by korinaflyingv
If life isn't important then important is a pretty redundant word.

Correct.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
The lesson there's more that old people aren't important.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
it's kinda like an artist painting....you only see it's value once they're gone. i know i don't search for the meaning of things like i used to. my bass playing is enough meaning for me. I'm probably crazy too.
Last edited by mattedbird at Dec 15, 2015,
I think that we as humans naturally pull a mind fuck on ourselves to beleive that "we" as beings "matter" and that beleif only survives in our own immediate social environment and when we are subjucted to things outside that environment the delusion desepates to reveal the truth. Except we usually dont realise this either.
People like you always tend to confuse existence with living.

Existence is absolutely meaningless. Life on the other hand, is exactly what you make of it. Your (meaningless) existence doesn't have to mean anything if you have something to live for (something you enjoy).
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 15, 2015,
Quote by Dick Savage
I think that we as humans naturally pull a mind fuck on ourselves to beleive that "we" as beings "matter" and that beleif only survives in our own immediate social environment and when we are subjucted to things outside that environment the delusion desepates to reveal the truth. Except we usually dont realise this either.

if you really wanna get confused about this subject, read some Ayn Rand
Quote by Joshua Garcia
People like you always tend to confuse existence with living.

Existence is absolutely meaningless. Life on the other hand, is exactly what you make of it. If you have something to live for, you don't need a purpose to exist.

No there is no confusion here. I may infact be wrong, but make no mistake im not confused in my thought.

Living and existing are exactly the same in terms of (hate to use this word) importance. If you dont exist you dont live and if you dont live than you as a person do not exist,only an empty shell.

But ultimately none of it matters unless you are invested in a religion then you once again add a parrodoxial situation back into the mix of thoughts and delusions so the cycle starts over....

Are you sure you're not the confused one?

People "LIKE ME" are often times called insane.
Damn man- you only get on average 75 years in this "place"; try to find something fun to do while youre here. Is life unimportant? Of course it is when you think of things on such a micro level. Its random and chaotic, and you just gotta find some way to fit into the mess that gives you even a glimmer of happiness.

If you cant stop having thoughts like "is life a uninportant" ect, start depriving yourself of some non-essential things, like the internet, and give back to your community in the form of charity or volunteer work. I think you will be surprised at how quickly you start affecting misfortunate others positively, and then you will absolutely develop a greater sense of self-worth and appreciation for life value
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I don't want kids, so everyday I live is pointless. I'm the walking end to my genes. My death would be meaningless, and a casket would be cheaper than to continue to use my car, eat food, create waste, ect... That's what I have to add
Important to who? ..and whose life?

It all depends..

Is my life impotant to you? No. Is yours to me? No. Is mine to me? Personally, not really. Is someone else's to him/her? Quite probably.
Last edited by sam b at Dec 15, 2015,
Quote by Dick Savage
Living and existing are exactly the same in terms of (hate to use this word) importance.
Just going to stop you there because you're wrong thus far.

When I say existence, I mean the purpose of life. There is none. We have 0 reason to be alive right now.

With that information, I could choose to do two things:
-Not enjoy life because of that
-Ignore it and enjoy it anyways

Finding a purpose as to why you're here? Completely unimportant since there is none.
Finding something to enjoy doing in life (essentially happiness)? Yeah I'd say that's pretty important. If anything, it's probably the only thing in life that is important.
Last edited by Joshua Garcia at Dec 15, 2015,
yeah life is important because what the fuck does the grand scheme of things matter if i don't even exist or know about it. i am the first principle, the prime mover; everything proceeds from my existence; the world was without form and void & i moved upon the face of the waters, you dig??
Quote by Watterboy
Damn man- you only get on average 75 years in this "place"; try to find something fun to do while youre here. Is life unimportant? Of course it is when you think of things on such a micro level. Its random and chaotic, and you just gotta find some way to fit into the mess that gives you even a glimmer of happiness.

If you cant stop having thoughts like "is life a uninportant" ect, start depriving yourself of some non-essential things, like the internet, and give back to your community in the form of charity or volunteer work. I think you will be surprised at how quickly you start affecting misfortunate others positively, and then you will absolutely develop a greater sense of self-worth and appreciation for life value

Im actually a fairly happy man. I love my guitars my special lady friend and my friends and family. Im just saying that none of it means anything withought having to beleive in things that require you to suspend your own disbelief.

I personally believe in Jesus, but i am capable of suspending those thoughts for the sake of enrichment through discussion....which is what im doing here.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Just going to stop you there because you're wrong thus far.

When I say existence, I mean the purpose of life. There is none. We have 0 reason to be alive right now.

With that information, I could choose to do two things:
-Not enjoy life because of that
-Ignore it and enjoy it anyways

Finding a purpose as to why you're here? Completely unimportant since there is none.
Finding something to enjoy doing in life (essentially happiness)? Yeah I'd say that's pretty important. If anything, it's probably the only thing in life that is important.

So...how are we not saying the same exact thing?
Quote by Dick Savage
And to dust we all shall return.

been eating fortune cookies again

your life not important, mine definitely is.

geez dick you disappeared and let a bunch of second rate crap thread starters take over in your abscense. i think you owe the Pit an apology.
I never knew anyone would miss the smell of my shit so much.

Consider this thread reparation.
Quote by Dick Savage
I never knew anyone would miss the smell of my shit so much.

Consider this thread reparation.

this subject always goes better with booze. of which i am not allowed anymore
Quote by Dick Savage

Is life actually important? Or is it only as important as you perceive it? I think that as a whole,my life really doesn't amount to shit in the grand scheme of things. This may sound defeatist or "woe is me", i assure you i am not interested in either.

The strangest thought crossed my mind the other day when an old lady fell and broke her wrist at my place of employment. She fell..wrist snapped and she started screaming uncontrollably, yet no one other than our staff (me and one other) and her family were the least comcerned with her condition, not even so much as to inquire of her status. It made me realize that our lives dont have any more worth than what we or our immediate friends/family place on them. And the same goes for the friends/family so its all simply a fabrication at its very core to begin with.

Right now if i were completely erased from existence, the world would continue on just like the days past.

Im beginning to think that we are all very unimportant and only as important as we are perceived.

What if i created a cure for cancer? Makes zero difference in reality because death is inevitable. Why try and prolong our existence when it is actually quite trivial to begin with and were only as important as we think we are.

I've been called crazy before...so by all means don't be bashful in your replies....they make no difference anyway.

#woah #woah #woah

Sound the alarms, I'm detecting high levels of IQ in this sector #woah
Quote by Dick Savage

The thing is to realize: Why does this actually affect you?
You conceive of something as being the "grand scheme of things", and then you realize your life won't make a difference for that.
Why does this affect you negatively? Is it because you want to "matter" in some way? Why would this matter, if the "grand scheme of things" is arbitrarily decided by you?

Of course, if you compare your existance to the impact on the universe in 10 billion years, you will find you aren't "important". But is it really "important" for you to matter at such level? Take this to any arbitrary level (below "importance compared to the universe") and ask the same question too.

That's more of a cultural problem rather than anything you can make of "the worth of human lives". Go to a small strong community (small town, etc) and you'll face a different situation.

Would you not want the world to continue on "just like the days past"? Would you want the world to depend so much on you, that everything would turn into chaos if you suddenly died? If so, would you also want this to happen for other people? Would you want the world to "stop" (however you define it) if someone from the other side of the planet was suddenly erased from existence?

Yes, it makes "zero difference" in this contrived context you've just created. Why does it matter that it makes zero difference in this context?
1)Why should I care that "eventually everybody dies"? Why would I pay attention to this context, when in my daily life, and the contexts I find important for other aspects of my life/work/thoughts the fact that "eventually everybody dies" doesn't matter?
2)Even if it makes "zero difference", why would that be a block to my/your pursuit of the cure for cancer?

One of the problems I find with this approach to "nihilism", is that realizing that "there is no ulterior value/motive" for something comes with the unnecessary connotation that we should stop doing anything in the context it's being presented. E.g you find out that your life is not important "in the grand scheme of things", and with this comes the connotation that you shouldn't even live your life and shouldn't care about anything because it's pointless.
Why should this happen? There is no logical entailment between the nihilist belief and the "depressive" behavior. Yes, (maybe) things don't have an absolute motive/purpose/value .... so?

Things like "value", "purpose", etc aren't just entirely defined on an absolute perspective. As in, there are also relativistic interpretations of those concepts, that makes something like what you are saying irrelevant to applying them in other situations of real life.
You can still try to cure cancer even if "eventually everybody dies", because by curing cancer you will be saving the lives of many people that would die right now so that they can die later, which makes them live their life longer and do a lot of stuff. In the context of "let's try to get people to live and enjoy stuff as much as they can", then curing cancer is freaking important.
That was one of the most well thought and intelligent responses iv personally ever received in a forum, however i beleive you're still caught up like a gew others thinking that im directing this inward toward myself....this is just hypothetical discussion on a thought i had. Great post though and it would explain alot if the situation were different.
Quote by Dick Savage
That was one of the most well thought and intelligent responses iv personally ever received in a forum, however i beleive you're still caught up like a gew others thinking that im directing this inward toward myself....this is just hypothetical discussion on a thought i had. Great post though and it would explain alot if the situation were different.

You don't have to wallow in depression for it to negatively affect you. It just suffices for you to think that life not being "important" equates there being no reason to, for instance, cure cancer (even if you personally care and want cancer to be cured)
I understand what you are saying. like i said in an earlier post, I may be wrong about this particular thought, but thats ok it happens all the time.

But i still think that we need ideas or beleifs that require suspended disbelief in order to create hope (the fuel that propels life) and that "life" itself is such a fabrication.
Quote by Dick Savage
So...how are we not saying the same exact thing?
Quote by Dick Savage
Living and existing are exactly the same in terms of (hate to use this word) importance.
Yeah.... we're not.

I'm telling you living is important while spending it searching for a meaning of existence is not.
Quote by chrismendiola
ITT: I'm 12 and what is nihilism?

yeah.

continuing the trend: let's say you manage to become the most famous, most 'important', and closest to universally loved person in history. then you find out there are trillions of other sentient beings across the universe that are socially connected and nobody has heard of humans before and once they find out still don't really gaf. are you suddenly disposable or something? it's all relative really

/12 year old post
life is a funny old thing sometimes
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Yeah.... we're not.

I'm telling you living is important while spending it searching for a meaning of existence is not.

And im telling you that life is only as imortant as the importance you place on it. Without the thought that "we"/our lives matter, they simply are not important.

Is that really that hard to understand?
Quote by slipknot5678
yeah.

it's all relative really

This is my point.

That little story you just told is of good use here. Upon the end of that story the ultimate point is none of it matters anyway....the famous/loved guy...and all the other sentients etc...none of it actually matters AT ALL.
How can markers be permanent when life is temporary

How do people have significant others when existence is meaningless

#whoa
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Dick Savage
life is only as imortant as the importance you place on it.
Quote by Dick Savage
You see where you're contradicting yourself, right?

Regardless, then yes. The purpose of life has no meaning or importance while living life is important. Glad you agree. It's nothing new, really.

Your wording could use work if that is what you first implied.

Is that really that hard to understand?
This comment is unecessary. I'm not being rude to you so I'd expect you to talk to me as a mature adult likewise.
Page 1 of 2