Hi Guys

I have some very interesting questions for you! I have a Charvel San Dimas (USA made) Polar white, but I like the sound of Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient. I would like to play 80s metal to black metal.

Now, what will happen if I put a set of those in my Charvel?
Will the sound suck or will it sound like a high end Strat?

I really wonder what it would be like. If you look at Yngwie Malmsteen: He did the exact same thing, but with single coils. He sounds very distorted and heavy. So is it possible to create a killer tone with a maple fretboard and maple neck (22 frets)?

Thanks a lot

Adrian
You should probably try moving this to the Gear Building and Customizing section of the forums - you'll get more responses there.

But to answer your question, I don't see why not. It's not like maple fretboards are decidedly linked to a specific genre, and the Nazgul/Sentient set is pretty much designed from the ground up for metal.

That being said, most of the tone comes from how you play (fret hand skill and technique/pick attack/muting) and the amp rather than your pickups and guitar. I've seen guys absolutely melt on a Squier Affinity with single coils, and guys who were awful with a Jackson US Soloist II and a Boogie Triple Rec. If you're going metal, your pickups can increase your basic voicing as far as signal to amp, and things like tightness, sustain, damping, in conjunction with the wood of the guitar, but the majority of your 'metal' tone is gonna come from your amp.

“We’re built of contradictions, all of us. It’s those opposing forces that give us strength, like an arch, each block pressing the next. Give me a man whose parts are all aligned in agreement and I’ll show you madness. We walk a narrow path, insanity to each side. A man without contradictions to balance him will soon veer off.”

silentfall.bandcamp.com