I don't even know where to begin... I got a chord book, and Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book. There seems to be infinite things to learn, and I can't possibly see how people memorize all these things at all! It feels like it will be YEARS before I can play a single thing. I don't just want to mimic tabs of bands I listen to.... I want to know how to actually play music, and it seems impossible to memorize all these chords and scales along with how to make music with it. I even know the notes on fretboard, and how there is a root note of the chords. I just feel a bit down about playing right now. I forgot one of the 3 chords I learned last night, and had to re look at it. It feels impossible to learn enough to play real music. (I know guitar takes years to get good at it, but it seems impossible to even play anything right now). Where do I start? What do I do? How can I not feel like crap when I forget something? How do you possibly even begin to memorize the thousands of chords, and the scales on top of that?!?!
I could put something cliche here like "Music is Life", but I'd rather say.......Hello........Is it me you're looking for?!
Last edited by wickedninja8599 at Dec 16, 2015,
Quote by wickedninja8599
I don't even know where to begin... I got a chord book, and Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book. There seems to be infinite things to learn, and I can't possibly see how people memorize all these things at all! It feels like it will be YEARS before I can play a single thing. I don't just want to mimic tabs of bands I listen to.... I want to know how to actually play music, and it seems impossible to memorize all these chords and scales along with how to make music with it. I even know the notes on fretboard, and how there is a root note of the chords. I just feel a bit down about playing right now. I forgot one of the 3 chords I learned last night, and had to re look at it. It feels impossible to learn enough to play real music. (I know guitar takes years to get good at it, but it seems impossible to even play anything right now). Where do I start? What do I do? How can I not feel like crap when I forget something? How do you possibly even begin to memorize the thousands of chords, and the scales on top of that?!?!

try bass
how many movements do you have going on, psychotic ?
Quote by wickedninja8599

Step by step. You dont memorize everything first, imo.

There is a steep curve at the begining. Its pretty tough to get your hands to do some stuff, and there are things to learn that are all fresh, rather than related to stuff you already know.

But then it explodes relatively quickly and a lot of more basic things open up. Getting to a point where you could strum basically any popular song, is not so bad.

But then things get a bit harder, it takes more effort to take a smaller step. For example, when you learn the major chord shapes thats big and useful in a lot of songs, but then you might learn artificial harmonics which are only useful for the odd time. Same with playing fast. Unless youre really a shred guy that likes to blaze all the time, its really quite a lot of effort for something you just whip out here and there. But the basics you use all the time forever.
Quote by wickedninja8599

Try to disfigure a song, lol !
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

I personally hate the Hal Leonard method, mostly because I've never heard of most of the 'songs' that they include, but the basic stuff on scales and chords is OK, I guess. If you want to learn from a book, try a different one like NY Guitar School's 'Absolute Beginner' and 'Near Beginner' books. I would also recommend finding an instructor if you can.

But, that being said, check out YouTube. Search 'Andy Guitar' and 'Justin Guitar' on YouTube and start working through their Beginner playlists / lessons in order. I think Andy does a better job of explaining stuff, while Justin may get you going a bit faster and strumming some basic tunes, but both are worth watching.

I was stuck where you are for a while. I knew the notes on the fret board and could play a few simple melodies, but I just couldn't get chords and strumming. Don't worry about not remembering stuff the first time through. Learn some basic open chords like A, C, D, G, E. Practice switching between these as you strum. After a few tries you won't need to look up the chords again. The Justin Guitar lessons will give you some simplified versions of songs you know using only 2-3 of these chords with simple strumming so you're not just strumming random chords, then build on them (his Beginner Songbook might be worth ordering). Then you'll learn new chords (like Am, Em, E7, etc...) and start to pick up how they are similar to the first ones you learned. Then you may add a barre chord or 2 like F or Bm, and see how the fingering may be similar to some of the chords you already know (i.e., look up the open E chord fingering, then the F barre, and G barre chords - see how the fingering is similar and how the name of the chord relates to the note being played on the 6th string?). You will also eventually learn how you can play the 'same' chord in different areas on the neck. This is where an instructor really helps, as they can help explain the relationships and answer your questions. Eventually, how stuff relates to other stuff will start to 'click' - just stick with it! Good luck!
Thanks guys! I was a little depressed especially when the guy above said to play bass instead (not saying bass is bad, but I want to play a guitar). I am glad to see I am not alone with having felt this way at some point, and it is refreshing to know that it starts sinking in after learning the basics. Thanks. I will check out that YT channels too!
I could put something cliche here like "Music is Life", but I'd rather say.......Hello........Is it me you're looking for?!
You don't need to learn everything at once. Don't look at it as "there are a million things to know out there and I know only 3" but as always adding a little to the knowledge you already have.

For guidance, try the Justin Sandercoe sites. He's got a very good beginner's book, I use it with my students.

Also, don't shy away from learning tabs. Learning other people's music is not copying them. Find songs that match your level of competence, but it's very important to learn songs.
Quote by wickedninja8599

There's not thousands of chords, there's like 5 or 6 shapes most people tend to use and then move around. On a practical level, there's actually very few chords people use.

Same goes with scales - once you learn the relative nature of guitar it really simplifies the instrument - a lot.

Start by learning songs and learning basic theory - note names, major scale, major and minor chord - take it a little at a time and becomes much more manageable.

Also, you memorize by repeating - learning something and forgetting it the next is normal, that's why you need to keep practicing every day, eventually it will stick.