I am a noob on guitar I dont know chords and ive been playing 10 years help!

I love metal what chords fit apart from power chords in standard and drop tuning I know the metadeth chord thing where the play 1 fret apart and I know the one where they play a power chord but an extra fret apart but what other chords are good for metal like I know bands like A7X buckethead and mastodon.

Any advice for someone who knows barely any chord knowlege?

Cheers guys and gals!
Stuck in a Haze.
Any advice for someone who knows barely any chord knowledge?

I hate to be THAT guy but.... gain chord knowledge.

For playing ten years, I have a hard time understanding how you don't have any such knowledge. How much do you know? Barre Chords? Diatonic Chords in a given key? The basic interval-based construction of chords (1, 3, 5)?
Weast? What kind of compass are you reading lad?
All of them. It just depends on the sound you wish to achieve. There's no secret set of chords that are super amazing in every single context. You have to learn how each chord functions in the context of the other chords present in the song. I would suggest analyzing your favorite songs and learning some of the basic tropes you might commonly come across.

For example a VERY common trope in a lot of more melodic metal is the i - bVI - bVII - i progression.

In the key of C it would be:

C minor - Ab major - Bb major - C minor

It's a very cliche but powerful progression.

Secondly I would suggest training your ear with interval training and learning to construct/identify chords/harmony by ear. It's a lifelong process but the results are invaluable
Last edited by NothingRocks at Dec 16, 2015,
Ive been experimenting Ive found out that a minor chord generally sounds sad so thats how I go about it but I am just slinning notes together and hopeing for the best Ive figured you can play the same chord in a different shape sometimes But I am just trying to go about it my guitar teacher is a very good teacher however its not getting into my head how do I determine what chord it is I mean if it sounds sad minor if it sounds happy major,

I dont understand is it the first note that you play that detemines the chord so if I am playing a minor chord on 2nd fret on the D string would that be an E minor chord?

Sorry I have been really busy lately,

Cheers guys
Stuck in a Haze.
Quote by NothingRocks
For example a VERY common trope in a lot of more melodic metal is the i - bVI - bVII - i progression.

In the key of C it would be:

C minor - Ab major - Bb major - C minor

It's a very cliche but powerful progression.

Didn't know that was a trope. Is it metal specific? I noticed the progression in Michael Jackson's Dirty Diana, GNR's Nightrain, Dead Boys' Ain't It Fun chorus and probably (not sure) Ennio Morricones Ancora Qui. But I can't think of any more. Everytime the I-bVi-thing feels very magic to me, do you have any idea why? Which songs make use of this, too?
Barre, major, and minor seem to be the most popular choices besides, you guessed it, power chords. Truthfully, every seemingly "metal" band I've covered has implemented a majority of power chords. Whether that be for chugging along, or simply ease of mind, or many other reasons. Fifth chords work well, too. Hope this helps.