Hey,

I've got a little "issue".

I bought a Bugera 333-212XL combo amp some time ago, and the sound is great! The thing is now, I started writing my own riffs and melodies but I don't have any record equipment yet.

So I'm tied to recording stuff using my ZOOM G3X effects pedal as an audio interface. I hear all these good things about BIAS AMPs and Guitar Rig 5 etc. But the majority of the presets sound pretty lifeless using my setup. While the built in amps of the G3X sound a lot more like the real deal.

What could be causing this? I'am saving up for record gear but for now this will have to do

Greetings
The fact that you're using presets is your problem.

Imagine listening to another guitarist playing through an amp with his guitar - he gets a stellar tone.
He unplugs, you plug your guitar and the tone has gotten way less interesting.
The obvious thing you would do there is tweaking the amp controls to sound good with your gear, so that's what you have to do with amp sims as well.

Bias and guitar rig don't sound much good if you ask me, I'd rather you try the softube amp rooms and bx_rockrax.

Also are you sure the zoom can deliver a completely clean (zero amp/cab simulation) sound to your computer?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2

+1
A bit of experimentation can go a long way, the Zoom is a great unit but presets are never ideal.

Quote by Spambot_2
Also are you sure the zoom can deliver a completely clean (zero amp/cab simulation) sound to your computer?

He shouldn't have a problem with this - all effects and amp sims are footswitchable. This is of course based on the assumption that as it can send a 100% clean sound to my amp it can do the same via USB....
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Spambot_2

Imagine listening to another guitarist playing through an amp with his guitar - he gets a stellar tone.
He unplugs, you plug your guitar and the tone has gotten way less interesting.
The obvious thing you would do there is tweaking the amp controls to sound good with your gear, so that's what you have to do with amp sims as well.

Bias and guitar rig don't sound much good if you ask me, I'd rather you try the softube amp rooms and bx_rockrax.

Ahh like that, haven't thought about it that way.
But even starting from scratch those amps don't sound good to me, I will try out the sims you suggested though.

And the ZOOM G3X has a DAW mode, it does output a 100% clean signal when all pedals and effects are turned off.
Quote by amerijckbeheerder
Hey,

I've got a little "issue".

I bought a Bugera 333-212XL combo amp some time ago, and the sound is great! The thing is now, I started writing my own riffs and melodies but I don't have any record equipment yet.

So I'm tied to recording stuff using my ZOOM G3X effects pedal as an audio interface. I hear all these good things about BIAS AMPs and Guitar Rig 5 etc. But the majority of the presets sound pretty lifeless using my setup. While the built in amps of the G3X sound a lot more like the real deal.

What could be causing this? I'am saving up for record gear but for now this will have to do

Greetings

1) Guitar Rig 5 is obsolete basically and the presets are atrocious - Bias is way ahead in the amp department. I have Guitar Rig and Bias - Guitar Rig sounds terrible and practically unusable.
2) If you're happy with the 3Gx - then use it.
3) If you think Bias doesn't sound decent then you are not monitoring your signal properly. It's the best amp sim software out there right now.

Honestly, you should simply use your 3Gx - you paid for it and it sounds good.
Quote by reverb66
If you think Bias doesn't sound decent then you are not monitoring your signal properly. It's the best amp sim software out there right now.
"Shill: an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others."

If you think bias doesn't sound decent you might just have ears.
If we wanna put it in the "it's a matter of preference way" then don't go around saying something is "the best amp sim software".
Listen to the UAD ones by brainworx and softube if you want to get an idea.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
"Shill: an accomplice of a confidence trickster or swindler who poses as a genuine customer to entice or encourage others."

If you think bias doesn't sound decent you might just have ears.
If we wanna put it in the "it's a matter of preference way" then don't go around saying something is "the best amp sim software".
Listen to the UAD ones by brainworx and softube if you want to get an idea.

Yeah, really. I am getting great results with Amplitube 3 and Ampire on Studio One v.2. Can't say I've heard something on Bias that really wants me to switch to it...maybe for djent?