I'm not in a band,
I do not write / compose / record music
I am newer player (only a couple years)
I mostly play stuff from Slipknot, Trivium, All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Children of Bodom, Metallica, and Pantera.

I've been trying to figure out if buying a 7 string would be beneficial based on the kind of stuff I like to play. I'm just a bedroom hobbyist player and currently I have a couple 6 strings, one that's tuned to drop C which I do like but I'm wondering if having a 7 string would be better than a low tuned 6 string.

What do you guys think?
if you want to play in B or Drop A or lower than Yeah if it'll be easier than tuning that low on a 6 string.
if not then no. just depends whether you'll benefit from the 7th string
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Of all the bands that you mentioned, I do believe that Trivium are the only ones to use a 7, and they have only used them on a couple of records thus far. Sounds to me like you would just be better off staying with a 6. Unless you score a 7 string at a decent price just to see if you like it or it serves its purpose for you.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
I'm pretty sure most of the band you mentioned use 6 strings tuned to drop B. Also, the last thing you want to do is buy a cheap 7 string (Unless it's cheap because it's used).
Quote by KyleZamory
I'm pretty sure most of the band you mentioned use 6 strings tuned to drop B. Also, the last thing you want to do is buy a cheap 7 string (Unless it's cheap because it's used).

Yeah that's my dilemma because I would not buy a cheap one.
Quote by bobafettacheese
Of all the bands that you mentioned, I do believe that Trivium are the only ones to use a 7, and they have only used them on a couple of records thus far. Sounds to me like you would just be better off staying with a 6. Unless you score a 7 string at a decent price just to see if you like it or it serves its purpose for you.

Yeah I just saw Trivium a month ago and he used a 6 string for the whole set. I realize that they all use 6 strings which is another reason I'm wondering if going to a 7 would have any value if I'm not writing my own music.
Many of the new songs and the last couple albums are on a 7, his (Heafy) sig model is a 7 and a 6 version of it. There are some models of 7 strings that are good on the cheap/used. But that is really only if you're willing to fork over for money for something you might not use. Not to mention if you've only been playing for a little while, getting use to a 7 string neck might take some adjusting. Nothing too cumbersome, but something to note. Some people adjust easier than others.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
How difficult is it playing 6 string songs like Slipknot on a 7 string? Is there a lot of conversion or would the transfer over to the 7th string be pretty straight forward?

This is really my biggest concern... in terms of music theory, I'm learning but again I'm pretty novice given only a couple years and self taught.
Last edited by basudz at Dec 16, 2015,
Quote by basudz
How difficult is it playing 6 string songs like Slipknot on a 7 string? Is there a lot of conversion or would the transfer over to the 7th string be pretty straight forward?

This is really my biggest concern... in terms of music theory, I'm learning but again I'm pretty novice given only a couple years and self taught.

transposing 6 to 7 is pretty easy actually.

besides, if you buy a 7 string you will find things to do with it that you haven't thought about doing before you bought one.
I love seven strings.I think since you have stated you have multiple six strings you have nothing to lose by getting one, and you can always play it like a six string in between songs not utilizing the seventh string. If you do decide to get one, it'll feel odd for a bit but once you get used to it its like when someone buys a child a new dog when the older one recently passed- at first they don't think it'll ever replace what they loved and a week later you see them cuddled up on a couch together. Of coarse you still love your old dog too, but this is a guitar and its not buried by the rosebush so you can still play with the old one and not feel guilty or get dirt all over your clothes to get to it and be greeted with gasps of shock and awe when seen together in public with it again.
Quote by whiteouteyes
I love seven strings.I think since you have stated you have multiple six strings you have nothing to lose by getting one, and you can always play it like a six string in between songs not utilizing the seventh string. If you do decide to get one, it'll feel odd for a bit but once you get used to it its like when someone buys a child a new dog when the older one recently passed- at first they don't think it'll ever replace what they loved and a week later you see them cuddled up on a couch together. Of coarse you still love your old dog too, but this is a guitar and its not buried by the rosebush so you can still play with the old one and not feel guilty or get dirt all over your clothes to get to it and be greeted with gasps of shock and awe when seen together in public with it again.

Lol that's quite the analogy there!
Yeah I could definitely play the 7 string like a six but I initially became interested in 7 strings with intention of playing drop tuned material from the bands I mentioned without having to have a 6 string that has power lines for strings on it. I prefer tighter strings and lower action so my current 6 string that's setup for Drop C has 12's on it..It's not terrible but the low E is still pretty floppy I think.
Maybe I'll find one at a Guitar Center and if it doesn't work out, I think I've got 30 or 45 days to return it.
Oh, I beleive there are baritone guitars for that. Though I'm not sure of the prices of them it might be more up your alley. They go pretty low though, so I guess a seven string might be better.....edit--I looked up some baritone guitar prices. Go with a seven haha
Last edited by whiteouteyes at Dec 16, 2015,