I currently sing and play guitar in an acoustic cover band (with another guitar and Cajon player). We cover pretty much every genre from Hip Hop to Country to Pop. We've been together for about 8 months and I'm getting kind of bored.

I've definitely come a long way (this being my first band) singing but I feel like I'm at a standstill with my acoustic playing. I just play the same structures the same way at different speeds it feels like. Sometimes I throw in a few pull offs and hammer ons but other than that I feel like I'm stuck. I'd like to start challenging myself on guitar but I don't know what I should do.

Are there any good techniques to start working on that would add to my playing. I know diversifying my chords (playing 7th, 9ths, dim, etc) is something to work on but are there any other tips that could kind of spice up my playing?

Thank you in advanced and can't wait to hear back!
Last edited by lspencer2011 at Dec 16, 2015,
Quote by lspencer2011
. . . . . I feel like I'm stuck. I'd like to start challenging myself on guitar but I don't know what I should do. . . . . .

It very much depends on you. What sort of guitar player do you want to be? What sort of music do you want to play? Do you want to play the guitar as an accompaniment to vocals? Or would you prefer to be a "lead" guitarist (in whatever type of band you prefer)?

I think you need to ask yourself all those questions - and probably others - because the answers will define the direction you might go. You may also wish to dabble in different genres to broaden your experience of guitar playing: classical, jazz, etc, etc.

And lastly, how much time do you want to spend on learning the guitar? For example, I play probably for a total of 2 to 4 hours a week - always have done that sort of regime - but I consider myself a singer who accompanies himself on the guitar. I fingerpick just about exclusively and (IMHO) am reasonably competent with passing chords and notes to add some colour to the accompaniment - I'm perfectly happy with that degree of ability. OTOH, a couple of guitarists I know play jazz: one very good, one exceptionally brilliant. Both of them pretty much dedicate their lives to practising - several hours per day, every day. And all the truly accomplished guitarists whom I've met and spoken to over the years, in whatever genre, have admitted to that level of commitment.

It's all up to you.
Quote by lspencer2011

Are there any good techniques to start working on that would add to my playing. I know diversifying my chords (playing 7th, 9ths, dim, etc) is something to work on but are there any other tips that could kind of spice up my playing?

This is a common issue.

In my experience, the best approach is to learn some tunes from players who excel at rhythm and who are not bound by traditional strumming patterns.

1) case studies:

The best at this is Hendrix, in spite of the fact that it's electric - learn a few of his tunes note for note ( the rhythm parts) - Little Wing, Castles Made of Sand, Wind Cries Mary, Angel, Axis Bold as Love.

Learning his approach really opens up the fretboard from a rhythm, standpoint - you'll find all kinds of great fills and voicings which can be applied in many contexts and he never simply strums all the strings mindlessly. He also incorporates bass lines here and there in a way that really opens up your playing. I can't stress this enough, learn Hendrix and your boring rhythm days are over!

Another great acoustic rhythm player is Neil Young, though he would fall in a much more traditional category - he has a lot of power in his rhythm approach - it's very percussive and filled with dynamics - learn to incorporate that percussiveness into your playing.

2) chord voicings

There are many ways to play any chord - don't simply limit yourself to the basic chord voicings everyone uses - mix open chords with bar chords and throw in voicings higher up the neck which incorporate open strings more.

3) Fingerstyle

I'm not sure if you can or not, but playing fingerstyle is really the best way to add complexity to your rhythm playing - check out Bruce Cockburn's acoustic material ( Slice of Life Live album) - he's a monster.
Quote by lspencer2011
I currently sing and play guitar in an acoustic cover band (with another guitar and Cajon player). We cover pretty much every genre from Hip Hop to Country to Pop. We've been together for about 8 months and I'm getting kind of bored.

I've definitely come a long way (this being my first band) singing but I feel like I'm at a standstill with my acoustic playing. I just play the same structures the same way at different speeds it feels like. Sometimes I throw in a few pull offs and hammer ons but other than that I feel like I'm stuck. I'd like to start challenging myself on guitar but I don't know what I should do.

There are lots of possible answers. The best one would be specific to you. Maybe some tips on how theory works would be good for you, mixed in with specific songs you know. I could definitely show you a bunch of stuff, but it's not something really doable in a forum.
Learn some songs that challenge you more - 1's that have fills and odd chords thrown in.
Hi people I am new to the site, nice to meet you all! I just recently purchased a Ovation Celebrity cc67 and I was trying to figure out its year and value but what I ran into I found odd, the guitar has a model number cc67 but it's serial number is 132651???? According to Ovations date chart the guitar is a 1978 model but read the celebrity was only manufactured 1984 to 1996? Anyone know what the deal might be? Thanks

Tags: guitar ringtone , game ringtone
Last edited by chibatbai at Dec 24, 2015,
Quote by chibatbai
Hi people I am new to the site, nice to meet you all! I just recently purchased a Ovation Celebrity cc67 and I was trying to figure out its year and value but what I ran into I found odd, the guitar has a model number cc67 but it's serial number is 132651???? According to Ovations date chart the guitar is a 1978 model but read the celebrity was only manufactured 1984 to 1996? Anyone know what the deal might be? Thanks

Hello

In answer to your question about your Ovation, I'm afraid I have no idea.

But I would suggest you start a new thread rather than tag on to one with another subject. You might get more answers.