Page 1 of 2
Hi, thanks for reading!

I have a crappy squier and I finally saved up enough to afford to spend 300-400 dollars on a new electric. I'm just lost looking at all the options!

Fav artists: I suppose I want a guitar for classic rock sounds. I'm also interested in jazz and blues.

Preferences: None, just throw me any and all suggestions in this price range!

Pickups: humbuckers

New or used: New

City: Springfield, Massachusetts

Current gear: Squier electric, line 6 amp, and a pretty decent epiphone acoustic.

Thanks for any info!
If youre looking for classic rock sounds I would say the bigger issue is your line 6 amp. Not the guitar.

You have to have preferences. Otherwise the question is "recommend me a random guitar for no reason". There has to be neck profiles, shapes etc... that you would prefer

Can you buy used or are you just sticking new?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I would strongly advise going used.

But, trem or no trem? Thin or thick neck? Body shape?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You may not like the look but for the genres you mentioned i think a good Epiphone Dot studio would be a good addition to your arsenal. I currently have one laying on my belly at this very moment.

I have a good set of duncans in this one and it will do everything from clean Jazz to full blown metal. Yes i play metal on a dot don't laugh because it is incredible.
At 3-400 you're still getting entry level guitars. I'd save up another 100-200. At that point we're talking mid-range guitars which are noticeably better. Or you might find a good deal on an Agile.
^i agree with trashedlostfdup. I think going used would def deliver the biggest bang for the bucks. But the Dot is a fantastic guitar (at least mine is).

Best advice i can give is, play before you buy because theres no 2 guitars alike and feel is more important than sound because sound can be fixed easily where as feel is much tougher.
Thanks for all the info all!

Sorry I left a few things out I am definitely still a bit of a beginner. I know I need a new amp, that's my next thing. I just hate this squier now and need a better one lol.

Revised preferences: Thin neck
Body: Sg, strat, tele, lps, l5s, vw, soloist

And if you think I should consider used then I will! Thanks!
I can agree on the Agile. Last year I bought an Agile AL-2000 with a very good hardshell case and shipping for a total of $316. It plays beautifully. I think it's the best bargain under $500.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
At $500 (over your budget), my personal favorite would be the AL-3200 Agile, a neck-through LP-type guitar that comes with an ebony fretboard, jumbo frets, real MOP inlays, upgraded bridge and nut, very good AlnicoV pickups, binding everywhere, and a shaved neck heel. A sample: http://www.rondomusic.com/al3200bkflameslm.html

At $400, I'd look at the AL-3100MC Agile, which is a set-neck with a full thickness maple cap over a mahogany body and most of the same features as the AL-3200 above (no shaved neck heel, not neck-through): http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100mcbkfl1.html At around the same price, the AL-3001 2TS can show up with a full set of stainless frets: http://www.rondomusic.com/AL30012tsflame.html

But in the $300-400 range, there are a wide variety of models, including 7-strings, LP-style models, superstrats and more. The Agile series guitars represent great value for the money, with the main disadvantage that you won't be able to play them in a store. But Kurt's return policy is excellent, so there's rarely an issue.
Also i wouldnt recommend getting any guitar under 500 dollars with a licensed Floyd rose tremolo bridge because it will NOT stay in tune if you play with the bar. So hardtails only under 500 is a rule for me.
My vote as well for a Blacktop strat. Very easily modified. They are now discontinued so there may be some good deals out there for a new one. L&M in Canada has a few left in their chain - $499 CAD.
Thanks so much for all the replies.

Do you guys have any reservations about buying a guitar online though? I always figured it was best to physically go to a store and be able to handle it a bit before deciding. I've also heard some things about the guitar needing work after shipping due to the handling.
Quote by Tarwathiel

I always figured it was best to physically go to a store and be able to handle it a bit before deciding.

I always prefer to try it in store first for exactly those reasons. As much as you can read a spec sheet and think "yeah this could work" nothing beats trying it in person so you can really figure out if you like it or not.

That being said, certain guitars I own I just couldn't find locally so I didn't really have an option to find something similar. In cases like that, I order online and have had no issues. Personally, if you can get it locally, I think that's the better option.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I've purchased all my guitars online. And yes, some setup may be required. I wouldn't count on store guitars that have been hanging there for who knows how long and handled by people to have a great setup either. In any case, the first thing to do is to change strings, change tuning (in my case), see if you like the action--so tinkering with your guitar and learning how to do some setup is a must.
Quote by Tarwathiel

Do you guys have any reservations about buying a guitar online though? I always figured it was best to physically go to a store and be able to handle it a bit before deciding. I've also heard some things about the guitar needing work after shipping due to the handling.

The number of guitars that you can actually "handle a bit" at a store is declining. A lot of good brands aren't available in stores at all, and places like Guitar Center are carrying a lot fewer examples in stock. Add to that the pilferage, damage and handling that plagues "wall" guitars, and the number of guitars whose setups from the factory are altered by the yahoos who practice "Eruption" after school at these places, and honestly, I've all but abandoned brick and mortar stores for most major purchases.

It's rare to find a guitar that doesn't need a good initial setup, whether that purchase was made in a store or online, new or used.
usually the best $300-400 electric guitar is a used PRS SE.

good luck in your search.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
A wide variety of G&L Tributes are available in the $300-500 range.

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?product_type=electric-guitars&price_min=300.00&price_max=500.00&sort=price%7Cdesc&make%5B%5D=g-and-l&ships_to=XX

Of those, I'm growing rather fond of the Fallouts and the HH ASATs.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2015,
Quote by Dick Savage
Also i wouldnt recommend getting any guitar under 500 dollars with a licensed Floyd rose tremolo bridge because it will NOT stay in tune if you play with the bar. So hardtails only under 500 is a rule for me.

I once felt the same way.

But there are no more "licensed Floyd Rose" bridges. The patent has expired. Eliminating the requirement for licensing has reduced the pricing on some fairly good bridges, and I've actually found Korean-made trems on less expensive guitars that were produced on exactly the same production line as those offered by large manufacturers (such as Gibson) as OEM "Original" Floyds.

Further, if you learn some basic maintenance practices, even the more suspect of "Floyds" will work very well indeed for a long, long time.

The quality of some under-$500 guitars has come up so significantly that they can easily be used on a professional basis.

And finally, the existence of brands that do NOT add the costs of a brick and mortar retail store into their pricing (with all the pilferage, damage, rent, corporate profit, employee costs, air-conditioning/heating, inventory mark-downs, etc.) means that we now have $500 guitars available online that may be worth as much or more than their $800-$1000 in-store counterparts.
Quote by dspellman
I once felt the same way.

But there are no more "licensed Floyd Rose" bridges. The patent has expired. Eliminating the requirement for licensing has reduced the pricing on some fairly good bridges, and I've actually found Korean-made trems on less expensive guitars that were produced on exactly the same production line as those offered by large manufacturers (such as Gibson) as OEM "Original" Floyds.

Further, if you learn some basic maintenance practices, even the more suspect of "Floyds" will work very well indeed for a long, long time.

The quality of some under-$500 guitars has come up so significantly that they can easily be used on a professional basis.

And finally, the existence of brands that do NOT add the costs of a brick and mortar retail store into their pricing (with all the pilferage, damage, rent, corporate profit, employee costs, air-conditioning/heating, inventory mark-downs, etc.) means that we now have $500 guitars available online that may be worth as much or more than their $800-$1000 in-store counterparts.

agree to all points. floyds have come a long ways and just knowing some basic maintainence will get more life from them. many "mid" level guitars around $500 can be used on a pro level sure you might need to tweek them a little but they'll work and sound fine.
Iv been hand biulding guitars for about 12 years or so, i know quote a bit about them. And i can def say that my knowledge of the current floyd systems is limited. However most of the time its not a the design or tge craftsmanship thats bad its the materials themselves....a soft metal wont exactly hold a edge for long which is the end all be all of a floyd. But yea there are definitely some pro quality instruments for sub 1k prices i own several.

The last guitar i purchased was a LTD with a floyd and that sucker absolutely will not hold tune. Its just due to bad materials (soft metal).

I guess my 500 dollar rule no longer need apply amd that im happy about!!
Quote by dthmtl3
Looks very much like the Korean MKs are made by World Musical Instruments, the same guys that make...Agiles, and other brands.

It's entirely possible, I've never bothered to look into it. I do know they don't give up anything to the other brands, and are superior to more than a few name brand instruments I've handled in the last few years.

I own 2, and wouldn't feel underequipped with either of them on stage.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Unfortunately it seems that alot of the "name brands" have actually ran out of enough justifiable reasons that there product is better than alot of the cheaper stuff. Hell how much do you pay for a PRS thats no longer handmade? This is just one more front where we (America) gets our ass handed to us by asia.
Quote by Dick Savage
Unfortunately it seems that alot of the "name brands" have actually ran out of enough justifiable reasons that there product is better than alot of the cheaper stuff. Hell how much do you pay for a PRS thats no longer handmade? This is just one more front where we (America) gets our ass handed to us by asia.

The only reason that happens is labor costs, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's not like Asia has a magical secret that we don't.

IMO, the location where something is built is largely immaterial to the quality, the standards that it's built to are the only things that matter. Equivalent standards and cheaper labor equal a less expensive product.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
The only reason that happens is labor costs, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. It's not like Asia has a magical secret that we don't.

IMO, the location where something is built is largely immaterial to the quality, the standards that it's built to are the only things that matter. Equivalent standards and cheaper labor equal a less expensive product.

Thank you, John Madden.
Quote by Dick Savage
Thank you, John Madden.

Oh and....

Charles Darwin
All jokes aside though the inconsistencies with labor standards/requirements kinda make a "global economy" not exactly work.

But you gotta love those idiots at Fender corp...they sell 1500 dollar strats that are sometimes inferior to their own "entry level" models....its these inconsistencies that cause markets to fail.
Quote by Dick Savage
All jokes aside though the inconsistencies with labor standards/requirements kinda make a "global economy" not exactly work.

But you gotta love those idiots at Fender corp...they sell 1500 dollar strats that are sometimes inferior to their own "entry level" models....its these inconsistencies that cause markets to fail.

well actually that is why ISO 9000 and similar standards were implemented. not every company follows those but many are certified and this does set a standard that is matched across the board. it's a pain in the ass to get certified and remain so but the result is better quality and some peace of mind. many companies won't do business with other companies that aren't certified.
Oh yea no doubt. I was actually meaning that if you can produce a 200 dollar axe thats sometimes on par or exceepds the quality of a 1k+ model and you somehow managed to mess up the gigh end model bad enough for the low end to be on par then the 1500 dollar job isnt exactly worth 1500 to begin with is it?
look at the Epiphone es 339 pro, humbuckers w/coil tapping, nice size and great for the genres you mentioned. They are $470 new but you could find them cheaper used.

I have one I'm selling for $280 but the shipping would probably be too expensive.

I used to have an Epi SG g400 pro that was really nice too, that should be in your price range.
Here's a Reverend Roundhouse- I have the exact same guitar in a different color, and it is very nice:
https://reverb.com/item/1435650-reverend-roundhouse-2007-emerald-green-burst
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Here are some Godins in your price range:

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=max%3A500.00+min%3A300.00+make%3AGodin&ships_to=XX

Some of these are utter steals- all are made in Canada or the USA, with pretty consistent QC. The Velocity is a shredder's axe. That Kingpin is well suited for C&W, Jazz and Rockabilly. Most of the rest are straightforward mainstream rock/etc. machines. I noted a Freeway with the "SA" designation: that stands for synth access- you have additional on board electronics for unusual shenanigans- and a piezo system in the bridge. The SD series are essentially Strats in LP clothing. Several of the guitars on that list will have Godin's HDR system, which essentially changes the pickups from passives to actives.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Dec 16, 2015,
Epiphone G-400 Pro its a great guitar and is at that price point. The SG has done everything from classic rock to all out metal.
Washburn Idol WI64 or higher model... WI66PRO has P90 (i prefer Idol WI64)
https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=washburn+idol - try to look for Korean made.

This is my Idol WI64 flat black with distressed hardware (relic'd) with Voice Contour Control dial full humbucker or single coil sound. I liked mine so much i had Jescar SS frets installed... plays like butter!!
I have Washburn guitars 'Maverick Series' and bass 'Bantam Series' and a few pedals and amps, but man I wish to have more patience and drive practicing my playing, if it's equal to the modding itch, then I'm golden.
Last edited by psp742 at Dec 16, 2015,

Page 1 of 2