i have a 2011 mexican standard telecaster, it has the stock pickups.
my friend has texas special pickups which he doesn't need and said i could have,
now, i wouldn't say that i don't like my pickups, just haven't had experience with others, higher quality pickups.
is there really a reason for me to change the stock mexican pickups to the texas specials?
would there be a significant difference?
If you have no issues with your current pickups then IMO its a bit silly to replace them. What dont I like about my pickups now? What sound would I like to get from my pickups? Am I sure the pickups are the issue? If you cant answer those, you probably dont need pickups.

That being said, if youre doing the work yourself (ie installing the pickups) then its not a big deal to swap out pickups and test them out.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Yes, and yes. Stock MIM tele pickups are quite bad. I wouldn't hesitate to swap the pickups for some thing different. However i am not a fan of Texas specials though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gania13
i have a 2011 mexican standard telecaster, it has the stock pickups.
my friend has texas special pickups which he doesn't need and said i could have,
now, i wouldn't say that i don't like my pickups, just haven't had experience with others, higher quality pickups.
is there really a reason for me to change the stock mexican pickups to the texas specials?
would there be a significant difference?

Each brings a different flavor to the axe. I rather like the stockers but others do not. No accounting for taste so what do YOU like?
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I do a lot of pickup swapping, but I have a very clear picture of what I want as opposed to what I have. I wouldn't put Texas Specials in just because there is a perception that they are "better". - My favourite electric has really cheap ceramic/iron slug SC pickups and I like them just fine for several reasons.

Still, if you are handy with a soldering iron, there is no harm in try it and see.
Quote by trashedlostfdup
Yes, and yes. Stock MIM tele pickups are quite bad. I wouldn't hesitate to swap the pickups for some thing different. However i am not a fan of Texas specials though.

Speak for yourself. They are not "traditional" sounding, but they are awesome for distorted sounds.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.