I have been playing guitar off and on for about 10 years now. I never seem to get any better but stay about the same. I'm really good at rhythm and know some chords but I am terrible at finger picking and tabs. Do you have any advice?? Is there a certain way to play tabs to make them easier? Tips for finger picking?
Download one of the tab players, like Tuxguitar, and find a few simple tabs that will play in it by Googling "[song name] tab". I can't recall which ones will open with Tux, but several of them will. They aren't all particularly good quality, but you can slow the tempo down and get the idea.

I personally haven't got the patience for Youtube tuition vids, but some folks find them useful.

I tll beginners to think of alternating bass/Travis style fingerpicking as a series of thumb-finger pinches and alternates, rather than as the thumb playing rhythm and the fingers playing lead. - I think it is easier initially to see it a simple finger mechanics rather than as rhythm and lead.
Quote by Tony Done
find a few simple tabs that will play in it by Googling "[song name] tab".

What I don't get is why exactly do you need to look it up on Google when this website is primarily a tablature archive?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
What I don't get is why exactly do you need to look it up on Google when this website is primarily a tablature archive?

Considering 99% of sites contain the exact same tabs with the exact same errors... I'd say don't bother looking up tabs anywhere
^^^^ True, there isn't much variation, but I do a search anyway. - It isn't a big deal, compared with the effort of actually learning it.

FWIW, I do the same thing when learning by ear I look up a few different versions to get ideas. - I found a ripper version of "One too many mornings"a couple of days ago, Julie Felix and John Renbourn
Last edited by Tony Done at Dec 16, 2015,
Quote by cdgraves
Considering 99% of sites contain the exact same tabs with the exact same errors... I'd say don't bother looking up tabs anywhere

Because all of them are so completely full of errors that none of them are of value.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I think that's being a bit harsh. Provided it is playable (and some of them aren't!) does it matter to a beginner if it isn't quite right, provided you can hear what is actually written via the tab player? OTOH, tab without the tab player (eg Tux) can be problematic, and for that I would buy decent tab books, not rely on the internet.
His words. Not mine.
Quote by strijder117
I have been playing guitar off and on for about 10 years now. I never seem to get any better but stay about the same. I'm really good at rhythm and know some chords but I am terrible at finger picking and tabs. Do you have any advice?? Is there a certain way to play tabs to make them easier? Tips for finger picking?

To progress, you need to know where you are, where you are going, what the next attainable step is, and then work at taking that step.

That's the general answer. For a specific answer, you'd need one designed for you. I mean, sure, you could learn new songs, and that is always good, and will always help people, but also, I might watch you go through stuff you know, and then immediately know what you should practice to take that next step. A new song is part of it, but just learning new songs off of tabs, is not taking big forward strides. It's just sort of following directions, without really learning much about music.
"On and off" is your problem. I have been play guitar everyday for a couple months, either a couple minutes to a couple hours. Just strumming, looking at tabs, and practicing my favourite songs.

All I've done is watch lots of youtube videos, and playing regularly lol.
I have only been playing a couple of months but I found myself thinking the same. I got chords down to the point I was happy with and decided to branch out my sound to play tabs and its a huge change. All I did was look for tabs of songs I enjoyed kept looking until I found one I could play and would not be too easy (I really don't see the problem using online tabs, they are a guide line to sound sorta like the song you aren't playing to a crowd who cares if it has errors when you're practicing). I also played this shit out of scales constantly going faster and faster practicing riffs in between and now I improvise a lot trying to use as many techniques as I know (repetitive riffs, power chords mixed in, hammer ons ect ect) Hope this helped as it wasn't long ago I was learning tabs until some people who will be replying to this thread
Quote by tommylaws16
I have only been playing a couple of months but I found myself thinking the same. I got chords down to the point I was happy with and decided to branch out my sound to play tabs and its a huge change. All I did was look for tabs of songs I enjoyed kept looking until I found one I could play and would not be too easy (I really don't see the problem using online tabs, they are a guide line to sound sorta like the song you aren't playing to a crowd who cares if it has errors when you're practicing). I also played this shit out of scales constantly going faster and faster practicing riffs in between and now I improvise a lot trying to use as many techniques as I know (repetitive riffs, power chords mixed in, hammer ons ect ect) Hope this helped as it wasn't long ago I was learning tabs until some people who will be replying to this thread

The reason people look down on tabs, is that there is no information given to you that actually teaches you anything about guitar, really. I mean, you can memorize licks from it, or whole songs, but you don't learn any theory at all. Not even chord names. You also have no timing information there, so you need to either know the song off by heart already, or listen to the song. For a lot of more advanced players and ones that know some theory, it's just faster to ear out the song, especially given the errors that can be commonly found in tabs.

But for your level, it's probably not a bad idea. I know when I first started out I looked up a lot of tabs for a while, but within the first few years, I gave up on them altogether.

I think I still find its better to go with chord names though, or even better, roman numerals, which wont be note for note transcriptions, but are a better way to learn the guitar, imo, and they should really help anyone be able to find the note by note inversion a lot more easily, which would also be good exercise.
Last edited by fingrpikingood at Dec 19, 2015,
I wish the tabs would list the chords, same as regular sheet music. Makes it so much easier to learn stuff.
What helped me a lot was to challenge myself to do a harder song. Romanza or Black Bird work well. If you practice something to challenge yourself and keep working to get that song down, the principles and techniques transfer to things you want to play.

Having good technique helps too. Practicing the proper way to play increases efficiency.

Those sound like really obvious and easy things, but that's how I learned and it worked for me.
These patterns got me started on fingerstyle: http://www.fingerpick.net/begin-picking-lessons/picking-pattern-lessons-1-4/ (be aware, he advises anchoring your pinky finger, but I'd highly recommend not doing that - I had to unlearn that habit to improve my fluidity)

There are also some great lesson and some easy songs from this guy too: http://www.guitarnick.com/fingerstyle_and_fingerpicking_-_lessons_and_songs.html

Be prepared to work at it though. It took me at least half a year to get even remotely close to being able to play easy arrangements. It's a lot of fun though and I didn't ever get bored. It gives a lot more variety compared to flat picking too as you can pick up to 4 notes at a time.
strijder117  I was the same as you. I played off and on for years then I started playing while the commercials were on the TV and also at least an hour or two everyday and I finally got better and can now pick out the intro's and fillin to most of my songs. So the more time you put in the more you will learn.
Quote by jacksonw94
What helped me a lot was to challenge myself to do a harder song. Romanza or Black Bird work well. If you practice something to challenge yourself and keep working to get that song down, the principles and techniques transfer to things you want to play.

Having good technique helps too. Practicing the proper way to play increases efficiency.

Those sound like really obvious and easy things, but that's how I learned and it worked for me.

That's a great way to learn. My playing improved dramatically after I learned an old Bob Dylan fingerstyle song.