I'm not too sure which forum this would go in so I'm putting it here.
Iwas thinking about going to college for guitar instead of engineering like I had originally planned. I was wondering if Fur Elise would be a good audition piece. I'm open to other suggestions also. Be in mind however I can't sweep pick or tap to save my life.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
Sweeping and tapping isn't what most music schools look for. They want jazz or classical. So if you play Fur Elise like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kjEvg_ZkgI then you're probably all set. I was always a shredder, I barely made it into music college and was constantly out of my depth until I buckled down and learned jazz properly, despite being far and away the most technically advanced and fastest player in the program. Conversely, there was one kid who was frankly a shitty player but knew theory in and out, had a great ear, and could analyze a tune perfectly and he was one of the darlings of the major. He's published articles on composition, analysis, and ethnomusicology and has a whole teaching website at the age of like 19, and I'm just teaching a handful of little shits one day a week at my local chain music store. Thanks sweep tapping. The only thing metal helped me with in music college was giving me a really unique perspective on improvisation. My jazz solos sounded like no one else in the program so I stood out because of that.
Why would you go to school for guitar when there are more viable options with better potential for return in terms of career potential like philosophy, Latin, and basket weaving?
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
You want money?

Stick with the engineering
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Because it's what I love.
It I could make a liveing from it I would have even more time to play
I'm beginning to care less about the pay

My D is major
But you probably can't make a living from it.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
*much of a living

My D is major
Any living. And going to school for guitar doesn't make you any more likely to get paying music gigs. You would basically be paying like 5 or 6 figures for gour years of music lessons. It's really not worth the debt to acquire skills you could get on your own or from private lessons.

You're better off going for like business related something or other if you are interested in a music career. That way it is something that could help you with a music career in the one in not many chance you have one and then when you don't have one at least you have something to fall back on.
I don't know anything about how tough music schools are during auditions, but "Fur Elise" sounds a bit too simple to me. I guess it depends on how you arrange it, though. I'll ask my girlfriend tomorrow. She did a year at Julliard, but she went for violin instead of guitar (she does play guitar, though) and let you know about how "Fur Elise" would be for an audition.
Quote by theogonia777
You would basically be paying like 5 or 6 figures for gour years of music lessons.

Not really. Unless you go to some really trashy backwoods ass school you'll meet industry people there. Session players, well-known faces in the scene, professors who know people. Whether it's worth 5-6 figures is definitely still up for debate, but it's not just overpaying for lessons.

Definitely minor in something practical though. Any college degree looks good on a resume, and a minor proves that you're capable of more than just playing guitar. And don't expect to walk right out of college into a top-notch music job. I walked out of college into a janitor position and then got the teaching gig a few months later. I'm lucky to make even half my living from music. I still work part time in the stock room of a sporting goods store while I'm trying to build my client base.

A lot of the musicians I know who are successful do a lot of different things. Online lessons, ad-supported videos, gigs, sessions, production, teaching privately or as adjunct faculty, etc. You can't expect to do one thing and one thing only if you're trying to monetize music.
Don't play Fur Elise. Pick a common classical guitar piece that is in your skill level. Something written for guitar. Something by composers like Sor, Giuliani, Bach lute stuff, Dowland, Tarrega, etc.

Arrangements are fine, but a Fur Elise arrangement on classical guitar is probably going to be missing a lot of stuff from the original, unless you have a very good arrangement, in which case it would probably be very difficult to play.

How long have you been playing classical guitar and what kind of songs do you know already?

Also stop trying to change peoples minds about what they go to college for. FFS this is a music based forum and any time someone mentions going to school for music everyone just tells them not to.
Last edited by MeGaDeth2314 at Dec 16, 2015,