Hello everyone, first time poster here.

I have been on the hunt for a 30 watt portable amp head and after trying out several I had narrowed it down to the Orange Dual Terror. Amazing tone for such a simple amp design. I know both Crobot and Arcite use them and I was all set to get one when the Hayden Mofo 30 came up on my radar (which no one carries in my area, ergo I can't try it out).

I like the concept of a single channel with an on board boost to (possibly) eliminate the need for a pedal when shredding but there are a few things about it that make me weary. One, I have heard mixed things about their build quality. Second, having a single effects loop input seems strange--how do you work with that? Third, there seems to be no stand by switch. That can't be good for the life of the tubes, especially if you're playing 3 to 4 sets in an evening.

Anyone try one and if so, how does it stack up to the Dual Terror?
Last edited by waystefspayce at Dec 17, 2015,
Standby switches are not a necessity. I have a Krank 1980 Jr that only has a power switch, it takes about 20-30 seconds after you turn the power on for it to start running wide open.

I played an original Mofo years ago, and they were an OK amp, but at that time they were decent priced and made in the UK not china. They are very uncommon here and where I live, so I have no clue about reliability.

Orange makes a decent amp, even their MIC amps are pretty solid, they are just way over priced for what you get new. if you want an Orange, go used and save a bunch of cash
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by korinaflyingv
The Mofo has such a terrible name I would be ashamed to play it, go for the Terror. Not that that is named much better. Whatever happened to just using a few letters followed by a few numbers?

Picking something based on the model name is re-tarded
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by korinaflyingv
It is, but so is releasing an amp with such a terrible name. I mean in terms of making a good all round product, obviously having these shit names seems to help sell amps to ******s.

what would you have rather it been named the Fluffy kitty MkII

Besides having names like that makes them very memorable to people. And if you think those are bad look at Freidman amps and Diezel amp names, and these are far from being cheap. It is called marketing.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Dec 17, 2015,
I'll just make a comment about the standby switch.
The Vox AC3 has a standby switch.
And some models of the AC30 have a Tube based rectifier.
Using the standby switch has been known to actually shorten the life of the rectifier tube.
So I never used mine, never had a problem.
So far.
And had the amp for about 8 years.

I do amp repairs from time to time and have only had to fix 2 AC30's in that time.
And one of those times it was a dead rectifier tube.

On a unrelated note, I have a Mesa Nomad in my work shop for repairs.
Next time I get a Mesa in, I'm charging extra just for all those fucking knobs and pots to remove just to get the damn PCB out.
Plus I had to practically bend the PCB in to the point where I was afraid it was gonna snap in half just to get it out of the chassis.
Quote by Robbgnarly
what would you have rather it been named the Fluffy kitty MkII

Besides having names like that makes them very memorable to people. And if you think those are bad look at Freidman amps and Diezel amp names, and these are far from being cheap. It is called marketing.

Obviously not, that's an even worse name. Although saying that it's a more accurate representation of what rock music is today. Ehh I'd rather have an amp called Herbert than Mofo. It's whimsical but it at least has some class. But they still should have called it the HB179x or some shit.
Last edited by korinaflyingv at Dec 17, 2015,
I love my dual terror, it probably gets my hours on it than any of my other amps. I would definitely recommend an OD or two to get it to get the full potential. Also, don't be turned off by only having one knob, it isn't a hindrance, it somehow works quite nice.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Couldn't agree more about the single tone control. Only having to tweak one knob on the fly is ideal to me In a live gigging situation. Just curious, what other amps do you have?

I would definitely either get a used or B stock Dual Terror. A new one is a bit more than I want to spend.

I'm not all that put off by the Mofo name, although I see how some might be. As I said before, I like the single channel with a built in booster. I don't really need two channels.

If I get the DT, I have a CAE boost/OD I'd put in front of it and roll back my volume for (semi) clean tones. I do, however like that the DT had two slightly different voiced channels. I'll be using different cabs for different gigs and having two channels to work with could prove handy depending if I'm running through, say, either a Mesa or Marshall.

I'm not surprised to hear about the Mesa issues--they seem to be pretty high maintenance which turned me off to wanting one a long time ago, awesome as they sound (particularly the Road King).
Last edited by waystefspayce at Dec 17, 2015,
Quote by waystefspayce
Couldn't agree more about the single tone control. Only having to tweak one knob on the fly is ideal to me In a live gigging situation. Just curious, what other amps do you have?

Fryette Sig:X
Orange Rockerverb
Mesa Tremoverb
Mesa MKiv
Splawn promod
Splawn nitro
Peavey JSX

That is most of the 'big-boys'. I probably have another 9 or 10 consisting clones I built, smaller tube amps, and some low gain.

Everything is on my profile on here.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Damn, you have a lot of heavy hitters and the Dual Terror gets the most play time? That's a helluva testimonial.
Quote by waystefspayce
Damn, you have a lot of heavy hitters and the Dual Terror gets the most play time? That's a helluva testimonial.

It's kinda the same way with me - my Tiny Terror gets the most play out of 20 amps or so
Quote by waystefspayce

yea it does. its pedal friendly, and it sounds good quiet. i have it set up with three OD's and a fuzz out front, (i never use more than two at once), and i nail pretty much what i want out of it with the pedals (zendrive clone, MI audio blues pro, malekko fetish OD, malekko unity fuzz, and a malekko 616 lo-fi) and ts quick and easy to get to.

my Mesa mkIV gets the next play following that, it is also pedal friendly and extraordinary at lower volumes. its more flexible.

the Rockerverb and tremoverb following that.

i have 5 rigs completely set up in my studio, each get their own pedals, etc. no messing around with anything. plug in and go.

i think the dual terror is just simple and quick. and quiet.

only major drawback is no effects loop. but i am using the pedals for a gain before my delay and don't run a ton of dirt on either channel.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I'm not much of an effects guy so no effects loop doesn't bug me that much. If I want to use delay, I have no problem running it out front in between the OD and amp.

I understand the Dual Terror does not need to be re-biased after a tube change. Am I wrong on that?

So no opinions on the Hayden Mofo (besides its name)? Anyone?
Last edited by waystefspayce at Dec 18, 2015,
Quote by waystefspayce
I'm not much of an effects guy so no effects loop doesn't bug me that much. If I want to use delay, I have no problem running it out front in between the OD and amp.

I understand the Dual Terror does not need to be re-biased after a tube change. Am I wrong on that?

So no opinions on the Hayden Mofo (besides its name)? Anyone?

Not sure about the bias thing, but I believe it is just plug and play.

Like I said the mofo I tried was decent, but it was the 15 watt version. Hayden is just not a widely known or distributed amp company. They used to be Ashdown and then changed the name of the guitar line to Hayden and kept Ashdown for the bass line name.

I'd go Orange because the Orange will be much easier to sell if when you get tired of the amp or upgrade.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate