Hey. So I need some advise.
I need to get new pick ups but see that one's without covers are cheaper.
I have a Gibson SG 61R. It comes with two nickle pup covers
What I'm trying to figure out is would it be easy to switch the covers over to a Seymour Duncan Hotrodded set or should I just go for a set with nickle covers and sell the other ones to make up the difference?
Thanks.
Quote by kyle_kode
Hey. So I need some advise.
I need to get new pick ups but see that one's without covers are cheaper.
I have a Gibson SG 61R. It comes with two nickle pup covers
What I'm trying to figure out is would it be easy to switch the covers over to a Seymour Duncan Hotrodded set or should I just go for a set with nickle covers and sell the other ones to make up the difference?
Thanks.

You can't take the metal covers off pickups without melting the potting (assuming you can actually melt the potting out to remove the cover and it's not epoxied in their with something other than a wax-based potting) and re-wiring a couple of the grounding connections in the pickup/cover. If you haven't had experience modifying or building pickups yourself, it's not something I would recommend.

Buying pickups with the metal covers on them you want will be much simpler.
What? You don't have to rewire anything. Gibson covers are held on by two dabs of solder which have nothing to do with grounding. Pull the solder off, hit the top of the pickup with a hair dryer to get the loose wax off, and you're done. The extra wax holding the cover on obviously is not important once the cover is removed. You don't have to melt the potting off the entire pickup just to pull the cover off.

I would still just buy a covered pickup in the first place, removing the wax cleanly is a bit tedious for $5 worth of parts. You can just buy pickup covers, too. If you prefer uncovered pickups, removal is worthwhile, but to save a few dollars on a pickup cover, I wouldn't bother.
anyone know were i can find white noiseless pup covers? my sunburst strat has black ones on with a white pick guard and cnt sleep looking at the dam thing anymore need changing back to white i would swap mine for white ones aswell if anyone wants to swap any ideas /:
for pickup covers you can also cut through the solder with a box cutting knife, doesn't sound like it'll work but if you are worried about the pickup getting ruined with the heat try it out.

Quote by 9369
anyone know were i can find white noiseless pup covers? my sunburst strat has black ones on with a white pick guard and cnt sleep looking at the dam thing anymore need changing back to white i would swap mine for white ones aswell if anyone wants to swap any ideas /:

sort of like EMG style covers? i got these for around 5$ american
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Dec 17, 2015,