So I want a Mk V, seems to be just an all around beast and my peavy vypyr tube 60 is certainly the weak link in my gear chain. I mainly play by myself at bedroom volumes. Occasionally, I will play with a drummer and bass player, but thats pretty uncommon.

Price isn't really a problem since a 25 head and cab is the same price as a used 45-90 combo.

I'm looking for Dream Theater tone, which should be easy to dial in with the right speaker/cab.

My only worry is tone at lower volume, which amp is going to have the most full tone at low volume? At first I thought the 25 no questions asked, but I couldn't find any answers online after a few hours of research. I'm paranoid because I used to have a 50w combo without a master volume and it was impossible to get a good sound out of it without really cranking it.

All your input is greatly appreciated!
Well the Marks DO have master volumes. I'd think that either way you can't go wrong, if you plan on gigging grab the 90W.

The 90W may have slightly better bass response but Mesa builds good shit and I'm sure the 25W is no slouch. The 25W will be lighter.

Both will be loud as hell if you want the best tone possible, but louder always sounds better no matter what. They should both sound fine at low volumes, my Mark III sounded good at bedroom volumes (it sounded GLORIOUS turned up a bit though).
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Wow, a Mk V is a lotta amp for a BR rig. If you got the $$$ go for it! DT is all about preamp OD so any of those choices will get it done. Just turn down the master and turn up the bass to compensate for Fletcher-Munson effect so it doesn't sound thin.

A $100 Pod Bean and a decent Frfr powered speaker might do what you want at 1/4 the cost of a live touring rig like the Mk V.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Wow, a Mk V is a lotta amp for a BR rig. If you got the $$$ go for it! DT is all about preamp OD so any of those choices will get it done. Just turn down the master and turn up the bass to compensate for Fletcher-Munson effect so it doesn't sound thin.

A $100 Pod Bean and a decent Frfr powered speaker might do what you want at 1/4 the cost of a live touring rig like the Mk V.

Don't you drive a Porsche as your commuter? Wouldn't a Chevy Malibu do the job.

NO, No it WOULDN'T!!

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Don't you drive a Porsche as your commuter? Wouldn't a Chevy Malibu do the job.

NO, No it WOULDN'T!!

Actually I drive a Toyota truck as a daily, the Porsche is reserved for "special events".
Different tools for different jobs.

I also own a Mesa and am a certified Mesa fanboy. It is a great pro quality gig amp that covers everything I need to cover. It will be going with me Fri to an A List company holiday party we are playing. Practice tonight will probably be on the $200 Super Champ. Different tools for different jobs.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Last edited by Cajundaddy at Dec 17, 2015,
My opinion on this would be to go for the amp with the higher headroom - if everything else is equal.

Unfortunaly, they are different in a few ways.

Advantages to me of the Mark V 10,45,90:
-higher headroom
-arguably better low end before and after that 'pushed' point
-EL34/6L6 tubes (the Mark 25 only does EL84s)
-Class A option - 10 watt mode (2 power tubes only)
-Simul-class
-Arguably better resale value over the long haul

Advantages to me of the Mark V 25
-'Cabclone' DI out (not sure the bigger one has that)
-Headphone jack (also a plus)
-Lighter at 16lbs (although when I hear lighter I hear small transformers)

So for strictly gigging get the bigger one. For more bedroom get the smaller one.

*My apologies up front if I mixed up any of those features above.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Dec 17, 2015,
I been using my MK V 90 watter at home lately .... I have the clean on 45 and the dirty on 10 watt .... pretty darn nice sound down at low volume and all three channels balance nicely , I'm impressed ....
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
My opinion on this would be to go for the amp with the higher headroom - if everything else is equal.

Unfortunaly, they are different in a few ways.

Advantages to me of the Mark V 10,45,90:
-higher headroom
-arguably better low end before and after that 'pushed' point
-EL34/6L6 tubes (the Mark 25 only does EL84s)
-Class A option - 10 watt mode (2 power tubes only)
-Simul-class
-Arguably better resale value over the long haul

Advantages to me of the Mark V 25
-'Cabclone' DI out (not sure the bigger one has that)
-Headphone jack (also a plus)
-Lighter at 16lbs (although when I hear lighter I hear small transformers)

So for strictly gigging get the bigger one. For more bedroom get the smaller one.

*My apologies up front if I mixed up any of those features above.

Clearly everything else is not equal. The Mk V 90 is $2500, the Mk V 25 is $1500. This doesn't matter to a trust fund baby but for the rest of us it is a very big deal.

Quote by Cajundaddy
Actually I drive a Toyota truck as a daily, the Porsche is reserved for "special events".
Different tools for different jobs.

I also own a Mesa and am a certified Mesa fanboy. It is a great gig amp that covers everything I need to cover. It will be going with me Fri to an A List company holiday party we are playing. Practice tonight will probably be on the $200 Super Champ. Different tools for different jobs.

Yeah, I know, but it's not as much fun being practical...

The closest thing I've got to a Mesa in the stable is a Peavey Triumph, and I love the hell out of it, although if they sold amps by weight, this one would have a boutique price!
Charles Darwin
He's talking new vs used...

Most likely used will have better resale value, i.e. you won't lose that much initial cash outlay but expect to spend on a retube almost instantly.

Personally, I was faced with similar dilemma and ended up with the Mesa Mini rectifier Twenty as I can't deal with the weight anymore. The big surprise is that at 25 watt this one is a loud beast and could do a gig with a drummer easily.

On the Mark if not mistaken you can drop volume on all of them for bedroom practice, so maybe it is easier to decide. I'd go with the middle one just in case to have all bases covered.
Maybe factor into your decision as well that it's combo versus head+cab. I'd always go for head+cab, but you might decide otherwise.

Reasons for going head and cab are that you divide the weight for transport and that you can just bring the head if you can have a cab available where you'll be playing. And you can also mix with a different cab for a different sound more easily.

Advantages of a combo could be the smaller size in total (for storage or transport if you don't have that much space) and just having it all in one might appeal more to you.
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clearly everything else is not equal. The Mk V 90 is $2500, the Mk V 25 is $1500. This doesn't matter to a trust fund baby but for the rest of us it is a very big deal.

He said price was not the issue not me.

If he wants to spend $1,500 - $2,500 toward his craft then I don't see why that would be a problem for you or anyone else. You don't have to be a trust fund baby to work hard and save up for nice things. I'm living proof of that.

Plus he was looking at a used Mark V - something I think is smart. I would not recommend putting all new tubes in used amp either. Spares however are important if you are gigging.

PS: And yeah - I'd rather have a head and cab too. I'm done with combos.
I'd buy the used 90W simply for the 2 extra channels compared to the 25W and 35W.

The 10W switch will effectively do what the smaller amps will do from the power tube side of things.

Use the master volume. My 100W Roadster sounds great at low volumes. I've heard the Marks do as well.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Mark 25/35 has 3 channels 3 modes per channel too

no?

they are two channel
Quote by JGM258
So I want a Mk V, seems to be just an all around beast and my peavy vypyr tube 60 is certainly the weak link in my gear chain. I mainly play by myself at bedroom volumes. Occasionally, I will play with a drummer and bass player, but thats pretty uncommon.

Price isn't really a problem since a 25 head and cab is the same price as a used 45-90 combo.

I'm looking for Dream Theater tone, which should be easy to dial in with the right speaker/cab.

My only worry is tone at lower volume, which amp is going to have the most full tone at low volume? At first I thought the 25 no questions asked, but I couldn't find any answers online after a few hours of research. I'm paranoid because I used to have a 50w combo without a master volume and it was impossible to get a good sound out of it without really cranking it.

All your input is greatly appreciated!

Get the 25W - no one needs more than that on a tube amp anymore - it's a luxury to be lugging around a 100w amp, not a necessity.

I have a 30 watt Lonestar Special from Mesa and it is furiously loud.

Mesa's excel at getting good tones at low levels - it's one for their strong points.
Quote by Fumble fingers

My bad. Sorry. I got confused. The front panel of the amp says it all. I didn't see that those were tabs at the top of the page. I thought it was part of the description.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
My bad. Sorry. I got confused. The front panel of the amp says it all. I didn't see that those were tabs at the top of the page. I thought it was part of the description.

Given that's probably the first technical specs gear error I've seen you make in at least 4 years, I'd say that anyone that holds it against you should be publicly flogged!!

Or at the very least subject to derision and scorn...
Charles Darwin
Wow guys, lots of great input! Among many videos and reviews, especially this one, I'm definitely going for the 25 head with a rectifier slant 1x12 cab. The tonal variety in this video is crazy, and they hardly even touch the 5 band EQ! The variety really seems to be endless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjkfArHfV6Q

Thanks for all the comments!
Last edited by JGM258 at Dec 23, 2015,