hei guys i recently moved in too a house where i can not use my cab, i was used to record traks at home with my mic at the cabinet now i cannot do this anymore or the neighbors will kill me. so im playing with a rack my preamp is an engl e530 (tube) and my poweramp is an vht 2/90/2 (tube), i know there are options recording with amp emulators ecc but i really want too keep the sound of my rack, now my question is what do i need to record on my pc without doing damage to my equipment? i hope my problem is quite clear if you need more infos just ask me.
thanks for helping
First thing - NEVER use your amp without a cab attached.

Now go read the intro to Recording sticky. If you want the sound of your amp, either use your cab & mic it or get a sim of it.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
You will need an audio interface, then you'll need to plug the e530 into the interface, then you'll need a cab sim.

As Gary said, read the stickies, there's most of what you need to know there.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The only way to fly is the Mesa Boogie Cab Clone (8 ohms or 16 ohms). This is the real deal Holyfield. You get a headphone out as well and you can combine the direct signal with your cab live if you wish. This rocks as a recording solution as well. Don't suffer in silence. If you need one I can get it for you. You pick the audio interface.
Last edited by kendall jones at Dec 18, 2015,
Quote by kendall jones
The only way to fly is the Mesa Boogie Cab Clone (8 ohms or 16 ohms). This is the real deal Holyfield. You get a headphone out as well and you can combine the direct signal with your cab live if you wish. This rocks as a recording solution as well. Don't suffer in silence. If you need one I can get it for you. You pick the audio interface.

You're trolling right?
Too be honest with you i prefer the engle sound (thats my opinion everyone got his own sound) so i will not go for selling my stuff for getting others what i dont like as much. i know also that i can istantly plug my engl preamp at my audio interface couse it got a small poweramp build in for headphones ecc and its written in alot of forums too, my point was that my poweramp gives the sound an specific punch and i really like it, i think ill keep recording with my mic and my cab and maybe build an cabinet isolation if the neighbors get mad, thanks for the helping mates!
TS look at cab load boxes. The Torpedo CAB is probably the most sophisticated:
http://www.two-notes.com/en/hardware/torpedo-cab/

Other options would be another loadbox, attenuator with a mic, or closed cab.

Load box will let you go completely silent.

Attenuator will bring down the overall volume and let you record more quietly on a mic in front of the cab.

Closed cab is basically a speaker in a box, you stick a mic in it and fasten it, close the lid and feed that signal to your DAW. Probably the closest to real cab recording. Randall makes one pretty popular, there's also the Jet City and other brand available or you can build your own.
I use the Scarlett Solo. It works for me. I am not an expert on tone, but you can listen to songs I recorded with it on my album called, "Disintegration." You go from your preamp's effects loop into the Scartlett Solo that goes into your computer via USB.

https://soundcloud.com/thomaspkoziara
Quote by DanyFS
You're trolling right?

I've checked out many load boxes from Palmer, Radial, and others and the Mesa Cab Clone is the most musical I've heard so far. Whether as a stand alone box, or in the Mark V 25, it yields stellar results from sparkling clean, to the highest gain metal tones and I have the satisfied clients to prove it. As far as audio interfaces go, I am a big fan of the Universal Audio offerings like the Apollo Twin, Apollo 8P, and Apollo 16. The Twin and 8P offer word class mic pres and the new Marshall Plexi plug in does not suck. Lets get one thing straight so we can always be civil even if we share different opinions, I go for tone first and for most, as a professional and a player. I am 50 years old and have been a world touring professional musician since the age of 17. I do not take my suggestions lightly, and I do so in the service of my fellow musicians.
Last edited by kendall jones at Dec 21, 2015,