Hi all,
I'm a guitarist for several years now and a friend sold me recently a bass and a bass amp.

I've once tried to use a bass amp for my guitar, to see what it can bring to the sound. (For info :
guitar on bass amps = ok
bass on guitar amps = bad, it damage your amp.)

But tonight something hit me. Why not using both guitar amps AND bass amps at the same time with a guitar?
Surely it has already be done but what kind of sound wil I get?
And how must I link them? Should I use a jack that split into twice or is there a way to put them in the signal chain? ( like pedal->guitar amp-> bass amp ). And if it's possible to put it in the signal chain, in which position?

Thanks
A/B/Y Pedal.

/thread
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Just a precision that I forgot.

It's just to play in my basment and alone. I'm not aiming for a perfect-pro sound ( I don't have the ears for anyway)

I've read that simple A/B Y splitter tend to give a loss of power and other problem, is it that bad? because it's purely for fun I don't want to spend 150$ in a pedal only for that.

by the way the guitar amp is 30w and the bass amp 90w.
You can use a buffer, or get a buffered ABY-pedal with isolated outputs... but honestly I doubt it'd make a huge difference. Far as I can tell, the only thing that'd cause signal attenuation is the reduced input impedance (if both amps have 1M Ohm input impedance, running them in parallel reduces that to 500k Ohms total). However, that's still plenty compared to your guitar's pickups' output impedance, so attenuation should be minimal, if at all noticeable.
Unless I am missing something, that is.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Dec 17, 2015,
get yourself a Y chord and plug into both amps then. i wouldn't expect miracles though it may sound ok or like crap hard to tell
Quote by regard.vincent

But tonight something hit me. Why not using both guitar amps AND bass amps at the same time with a guitar?
Surely it has already be done but what kind of sound wil I get?
And how must I link them? Should I use a jack that split into twice or is there a way to put them in the signal chain? ( like pedal->guitar amp-> bass amp ). And if it's possible to put it in the signal chain, in which position?

Thanks

It has been done. The main player I know of who does so is Charlie Hunter, who uses custom made 7 & 8 string guitars: his lowest 2-3 strings are bass strings that are monitored by bass pickups, while the higher (guitar) strings are covered by guitar pickups. The guitars have 2 outputs, so the bass output goes to a bass amp, the guitars to a guitar amp.

The guy from Royal Blood splits the signal from his bass into 2 via a splitter, with the signal to the guitar amp passing through an octave up pedal while the low end goes through a tuner into the bass amp. The tuner is used as a kill switch, so he can cut his low end out with the tap of a foot- handy for solos.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!