Iv got a Orange micro terror that im thinking of swapping the preamp tube in. I've found a stockpile of NOS RCA 6SN7 tubes here at work (bowling alley) they were used to power the old foul light system back in the early 60s.

My question is are they safe to use with this particular amp? I've retubed my JCM800 and my Princeton but that's as far as my experience takes me with tubes any advice would help.
Quote by Dick Savage
Iv got a Orange micro terror that im thinking of swapping the preamp tube in. I've found a stockpile of NOS RCA 6SN7 tubes here at work (bowling alley) they were used to power the old foul light system back in the early 60s.

My question is are they safe to use with this particular amp? I've retubed my JCM800 and my Princeton but that's as far as my experience takes me with tubes any advice would help.

Pretty sure you can't use them, 12ax7 are interchangeable with 12at7, 5751, 12au7, 12av7, ECC83, ECC803, CV4004

There are some other old European/Russian tubes that can be used, but I'm not 100% sure what they all are called.

If they were 6SL7 then yes you could
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I think the russian deals are Sovteks but idk? Anyways thanks for the heads up....btw is it the fact that the circuitry is diffrent or is it just the socket thats not compatible? I have yet to comapre the two is why ask...the sockets i mean.
can't do it. they are totally different tubes. that being said you should buy those tubes anyway and sell them. some amps do use them and they'd be worth a bit.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
^ I scored the whole load for FREE! I asked the owner if i could have them and he said absolutely. I must have a at least 10 dozen of them NIB. Wonder what they are worth?
Quote by Dick Savage
^ I scored the whole load for FREE! I asked the owner if i could have them and he said absolutely. I must have a at least 10 dozen of them NIB. Wonder what they are worth?
If a lot, then I need to start scouring the local bowling places. Of which there is one. God dammit Scotland.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
Quote by sasquatchjosh96
If a lot, then I need to start scouring the local bowling places. Of which there is one. God dammit Scotland.

I've been head mechanic down here for years. This is a failr old place, opened in 1958. We still have alot of the old "electronics" from then (non operational)

I have tons of old electronics in boxes that we are planning on throwing out so im gonna take it home and let the desoldering begin! And amp construction begin!!
Quote by Dick Savage
I think the russian deals are Sovteks but idk? Anyways thanks for the heads up....btw is it the fact that the circuitry is diffrent or is it just the socket thats not compatible? I have yet to comapre the two is why ask...the sockets i mean.

Sovtek was just a tube maker and they made a huge variety of tubes
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
6SN7 series was the dual-triode predecessor to the 12a?7 series, most similar to the 12au7 because of the low gain (20).

But with an octal rather than a B9A base, they aren't even remotely compatible. You could of course build a good preamp with them, or probably rewire an existing amp, but I'm not sure why you would.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I've planned on biulding a "homeade" tube amp for some time now. I've juat recently aquired enough stuff to get a great headstart.
Quote by Dick Savage
I've planned on biulding a "homeade" tube amp for some time now. I've juat recently aquired enough stuff to get a great headstart.

Other than the pinouts, any amp schematic that uses a 12au7 will be a good starting point, as they are quite similar.

Also, this amp at one time was designed for your tubes.

http://www.sowter.co.uk/pdf/Williamson%20Amplifier.pdf

Look at page 14.

Good Luck!
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin