For the past (5?) years I've used nothing but my line6 pod for practice. (。ŏ﹏ŏ Now that it's dead I'm replacing it with a guitar link (recording) and a cute<3 amp (practice). I have no experience with amps so please bear with me.

Budget: ~$140-175 (terrible)

Low watt guitar amp (15??). Headphone jack (must!). My dorm is very quiet and the walls are thin so I probably won't use the speakers that often.

I will use it for metal but clarity is very important to me. Distortion (must!).

I'm thinking of a modeling amp so I can do more experimenting haha.. like line 6 spyders..? But vanilla practice amp is what I just basically need too.

I will try your suggestions if I find them in stores around here, I just need suggestions to start with. ~Thanku for reading~ (⌯⌅⌄⌅
Last edited by reliqua at Dec 18, 2015,
THR10X? It's a 10W modeling amp, small size is easy in a dorm room, has a headphone jack, and can be used as an interface via USB for recording. Can probably find a used one on eBay in your price range. Check it out.
Vox Valvetronix V20+. They're in your budget, good tone all around. Distortion in amp and with modeling effects. Modeling amp, lots of effects. Has a headphone jack. Fully adjustable wattage, minimum of 3 watts, max of 30. Hybrid tube and solid state.
Vox VT, Roland Cube, Peavey Vypyr are all solid low cost practice amps. Give em a look.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Honestly, I'd buy another POD (or similar device from Korg, Boss, Tascam, etc.) and save up money to get a decent amp down the road for when you have fewer concerns about disturbing your neighbors.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by 18arnottm89
Vox Valvetronix V20+. They're in your budget, good tone all around. Distortion in amp and with modeling effects. Modeling amp, lots of effects. Has a headphone jack. Fully adjustable wattage, minimum of 3 watts, max of 30. Hybrid tube and solid state.

this would be my choice.
unless you need really aggressive metal distortion.
then it would be a Peavey Vypyr.
Laney have the IRT range which comes with a small USB and headphone preamp for guitar that is rather nice, maybe look into that as it hasn't been mentioned. Yamaha also makes nice little modeling amps for rehearsal (Yamaha THR10X for high gain, there are other lower gain options too).
$170 won't get you much, if you stretch it up a bit maybe you can get something like Sansamp TM30, or just go in the box with a recording interface (or just a guitarlink type of jack) and monitors.
There are some decent M-Audio monitors around $100 (they even sell them in Barnes and Noble!) that'd be alright in your situation, then just get all your effects, etc. from the amp.
Last edited by diabolical at Dec 18, 2015,
Two other possibilities.
Vox has one called mini 5 that has rhythm tracks programmed into it.
There's also the Zoom G3 which isn't an amp - it's a multi effect pedal with amp models, rhythm tracks and a usable looper.

The Zoom would function in basically the same way as your pod, but the extra functions are useful. It has a really useful noise gate effect called ZNR plus a more conventional noise gate and also a dirty gate that I haven't played around with yet. Some of the amp models are pretty good (I like plexi and two rock) and the effects are generally pretty usable.

The secret to the distortions on the Zoom is to turn them way way down. Zoom set them at ridiculously high levels at the factory. They go up to 100 (or higher) But I mostly set them in between 5-30.
The ZNR gate can be set first in the chain with the switch set to guitar input to quiet down the incoming signal, or you can set it later in the chain with the switch set to fx to tame a wild signal. I really like it.
I recommend you listen to the amps in person - or at least through YouTube (even though sound doesn't translate all that well digitally.)

It's up to you, but to decide on a good amp requires ears! (Unless they've been torn apart by shredding to the nth degree)
I used a Line 6 Spyder3 for several years when I first started playing guitar. One thing is certain: those things are really convenient for someone that wants to experiment with many different sounds and effects but is on a budget.

Sure, it's not the greatest sounding amp you can get your hands on BUT you can find those things so darn cheap. I was hoping I could sell my old 30watt Spyder3 but found em going for $85 on Craigslist (I think they ran $200-250 when I first bought mine) and decided to just hang onto mine.

After playing on this amp for a few years, I started to dial in the tone that I liked and saved up some $ to buy the next amp, a 15-watt tube Fender SuperChamp.
and harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene
Thank you guys! I will go to the mall to check them out and hopefully try them out later! So far from youtube VT sounds the best but it's kinda difficult to find one in my price range in my country, my last hope are music stores. I just realized that spider gain sounds kinda awful... Hmm.. How about black star id core (USB~) and fender mustang ..?

Uh. I can't find much decent 2nd hand amps around here. ;~;
If you're just buying a modeling amp to use in a dorm then just stop. Buy a Rocksmith cable for $20 and use it with free amp simulators. If you have a Mac Garageband is $5 and has modeling capabilities that compare to software that costs more than $100.
Fender mustang could do you well, the metal voice was alright as far as I remember. I had a roland cube once and the r-fier channel was sexy af. Surprised not as many people talk about it really. I mean, it wasn't exactly a mesa boogie rectifier but it was damn good for what it was.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
The Mustangs are fine too, Roland Cube too.

Crazy idea but for jamming I use a portable walkman type Boss Micro Br - got it $60 used. Sounds from the Boss GT-6 and it is quite good actually for what it is, I started carrying it around to practices and just plug straight into the PA
I have a mustang, a Roland cube and the zoom g3 and I much prefer the zoom's models to the Cube and Mustangs.

Imo the Cube has cool JC120 and Twin models and everything else is just okay.
The Mustang has nice Deluxe Reverb and AC30 models and you can get some okay gain sounds.
The Zoom has the most models that sound good, the most models overall and a far greater number of effects and other functions.

If I was going to buy any modeling amp to be my main amp it would be the Peavey Vypyr. Definitely above the others modelers (but not above the Zoom) when it comes to making metal.
I'd go with a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1. Ideal for metal and does good cleans and it's not vanilla at all.