Page 1 of 2
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/holiday-guide/holiday-survival-guide/leah-mclaren-despite-my-best-efforts-my-stepsons-are-obsessed-with-guns/article27800653/?click=sf_globe

As it stands now, both boys in my house talk more or less constantly of killing. The more my husband and I earnestly try to impress upon them the real-life horrors of terrorism, mass shootings and the carnage of the ongoing missile attacks on Syria, et cetera, the more their murderous little eyes widen and their hunger for make-believe violence grows.

Personally, I am revolted at her failure to get her kids under control. Nothing short of showing her children ISIS execution videos is going to teach them a proper lesson about violence.

What is the next step? Social services?
2015 is full of shitty parents, what else is new
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I live in britain so it's not like they'll easily aqquire a real gun and go on a murder rampage.
The quest for your perfect gear is like being under the surface of a huge, overpowering lake. When you've nearly swam to the light on the surface it shoots far out of your sight again. Still, I'll enjoy the swim. What'd I do if I reached the top?
This feels like satire, but still. I grew up in glorious gun free Aus, and I still thought guns were cool because, read, I was a CHILD. These parents are fucking idiots, the kids seven jesus.

To answer the title, yes probably.
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
My kids will learn how to handle real guns responsibly.
Check out my band Disturbed
After opening the enormous haul of military battleships, supersoaker water pistols and light-up laser guns that his friends’ parents see as perfectly acceptable birthday presents, he threw himself across his pile of gifts and wailed, “Please Leah, let me keep my killing toys!” In retrospect, I wonder if I should have listened. Perhaps if I had, his obsession with weaponry might have waned. (Confession: I confiscated and regifted the worst of the lot.)

What a bitch.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
My parents never got me toy weapons. I don't remember if they actually told me not to play with them at other people's houses but i didn't. Apart from whining about it in toys r us a few times I don't think I actually missed them.

I don't think I will buy my kids toy weapons apart from lightsabers.
cat
Back in my day, we used to throw stones at each other! and hit each other with sticks!

Nah, of course. Take them to the gun range, make sure there aim's right. Then we're playing frisbee! ...(but shooting the frisbees when they're thrown)
Kinda hard to answer this. I haven't played with toys in over a decade and I don't remember what they meant to me exactly.

Basically I was gonna talk about how maybe guns and killing mean something else to children, something different to the morally complex adult view we have towards death. I don't think I'd ever have my kids look at violence as being a normalized, every day thing. At least not while they're still children.

Plus if there's one thing I learned from being a kid it's that having something banned from you only makes you more curious to discover it. Kids tend to want the affectation of adulthood, and that involves looking towards other adults and what we uphold as exemplary.

It's also necessary to remember that play time is cathartic. They're inventing stories and situations according to how they feel about their own personal story and situation. Even if it's a video game, why censor that? Banning toy guns from your household will only communicate to your child that you think guns aren't for them.

If it comes up, talk to your kids about violence and empathy. This seems like the easy-parenting route of "If we ban it, they will comply."

By the way that's just a bad article. Unless her endpoint is "I'm concerned about whether what I'm doing is good for my kids," that was a confused mess.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Dec 18, 2015,
If they want to play with toy guns, sure.

their hunger for make-believe violence grows

I wouldn't worry until they start to hunger for ACTUAL violence.
No, only swords allowed

^ dude knows
WHAT A
HORRIBLE
NIGHT TO
HAVE A
CURSE.
Quote by ultimate-slash
Definitely not! My children will be taught the ways of the sword. They will learn to kill with honour.

My kids will be taught to be desk jockeys,

The pen is mightier than the sword, biatch
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
I wouldn't restrict them and be pushy, but I wouldn't approve of it either, and explain my reasoning as best I could.

Ideologically, anyway. In practice? Well, maybe they go shooting as a skill, or get into archery, maybe they don't "get" my perspective or just want to have fun and I have to reevaluate my principles in the real world.

That said if my hypothetical genetically doomed children are to be taught or raised with any weapon, it will be by the katana!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Dec 18, 2015,
Their blood-thirstiness seems to flourish in inverse proportion to the number of anatomically correct dolls, toy *******s and gender-neutral non-conflict-based games I press upon them.

lol
Just last week, my three-year-old told me that when he grows up he wants to be “a flying soldier with loads of guns and a cricket bat for killing zombies who try to eat my brain.”

I like the way this kid is thinking
I grew up on a country property, firearms were part of life there.

They're used for pest control and for slaughter of livestock, amongst other things.
The majority of Australian farmers own at least one firearm. Firearms will always exist, so it's important to teach people about safe handling of them.
When I was 12, I joined the Army Cadets, and got even more hands on experience with weapons, but the emphasis was always placed on safety. If you pointed that weapon more than 45 degrees away from the range, you were banned from the live shoot.
When I was 15, my High School had a class called "Firearm Safety", where I obtained my Junior Firearms Permit, but again, I learned about safety.
If I raise my kids to live in a world where they have no exposure to guns, I would have no confidence that they would actually know what they are doing when they inevitably come into contact with guns.

All this from someone who lives in a country with some of the strictest gun control laws in the world.
Come back if you want to
And remember who you are
‘Cause there's nothing here for you my dear
And everything must pass
Quote by Banjocal
I wouldn't restrict them and be pushy, but I wouldn't approve of it either, and explain my reasoning as best I could.

Ideologically, anyway. In practice? Well, maybe they go shooting as a skill, or get into archery, maybe they don't "get" my perspective or just want to have fun and I have to reevaluate my principles in the real world.

That said if my hypothetical genetically doomed children are to be taught or raised with any weapon, it will be by the katana!

So basically you want to start them off as weebs?

That's child abuse.
Ill be teaching my kids how to shoot and be safe with real guns

Of course ill get them toy guns
Quote by Nelsean
Lil B, the young based god, has the ability to create music so profound, that others around him cannot even comprehend his magnificent verbal progressive nature.

Quote by The_Blode
^ oh hey y'all females...welcome !
I don't plan on ever having children but if I did, sure they can play with water guns and space guns.

No airsoft guns or anything of that sort.
All these people going on about what's best for the development of kids and whatnot. Where are the parents who go "no wait, give him the gun, I want to see what happens!" for their own amusement?
When he's a little kid and doesn't fully understand the concept of death, fine. You know, it's just playing make believe.

When he's a bit older, maybe getting towards his teens, and it seems to be taking a slightly malicious turn, I'll have a word and explain a few things to him.

My position on video games at the moment (bearing in mind my kid is 1) is that I'll be sticking to age ratings. If he shows maturity or interest in it, I'll give the game a go myself first to see if it's something he can process correctly.

But the reality I've learnt during 14 months as a parent so far is that the parent you plan to be very rarely ends up being the parent you actually are and you sort of make it up as you go along. It all depends on how my son's personality develops, which I obviously have some responsibility over, but I can't and wouldn't want to 100% control that.
They'll have bb guns first, and then real ones in their teens like good little redneck boys. They'll learn to respect guns and use them properly.
Originally posted by Joshua Garcia
I just come here to dick around.
And maybe occasionally wave my dick around.

My D is major
Yes, and even if I didn't they would use sticks, fingers etc. to pretend to have them so where's the problem?

I've raised 3, all 3 are competent with firearms. 2 are avid hunters and firearms enthusiasts, 1 is not, and that's fine. Better to be familiar with and understand something than to be irrationally afraid of it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Yes, and even if I didn't they would use sticks, fingers etc. to pretend to have them so where's the problem?

I've raised 3, all 3 are competent with firearms. 2 are avid hunters and firearms enthusiasts, 1 is not, and that's fine. Better to be familiar with and understand something than to be irrationally afraid of it.

You let your kids play with fingers? That's just irresponsible. They could have poked someone's eye out!
Quote by ultimate-slash
You let your kids play with fingers? That's just irresponsible. They could have poked someone's eye out!

Unlikely because like most kids they had them buried too far up their nose to be a danger to anyone else...
Charles Darwin
I had loads of toy guns when I was a kid and they're probably still lying around somewhere so any future children I have can play with them. Real guns are a rarity in the UK so the odds of them getting hold of one are slim.

Also whoever wrote that article sounds like an hysterical idiot who shouldn't be looking after children.
I have nothing important to say
Nah they'll get real guns. "Just don't shoot each other or Windows ya fucks."

But in all seriousness yeah who cares let them have fun.
I don't have a problem with kids and toy guns. Played with them myself as a kid and had a lot of fun.
Quote by TobusRex
I don't have a problem with kids and toy guns. Played with them myself as a kid and had a lot of fun.

That's a pretty rational attitude.

For a pinko, leftist whackjob!

Charles Darwin
Page 1 of 2