I listen to a broad range of music, but its Kings of Leon and Ayreon that I don't understand why there isn't a massive following behind them

Both had blips of mainstream success, most notably Kings climbing the charts in '08-'09, but overall, the amount of gems buried in their discographies adds up to a larger overall acclaim that neither carry to this day.. many tracks that are just epic good

It should also be mentioned that both Matt Followill and Arjen Lucassen are phenomenal guitarists

So what underappreciated/ underrated band is in your top spot?
Last edited by oldbobenglish at Dec 18, 2015,
I always thought the band taproot was crazy good, and while they have a following it isn't something like Tool or nirvana's level of a following.
If you're interested in a few of their songs check out "Calling" "Poem" "Again and Again"
For me, it's Archive, but in a way I can understand why.
This band creates really emotional and beautiful music with different styles and is really good live.
But I guess they never had a really perfect album. And they had some complicated tracks and music career choices.

Other bands deserve to be quote here: for me Venus (Belgian Band) and Jay-Jay Johanson should be internationnally known
Alter Bridge
Michael
2010 Gibson Les Paul Studio (Ebony w/ Gold)
Peavy Rage 158 Practice Amp
I'd have to go with Danzig. So many good songs, but only "Mother" gets any air time. Devil's plaything is one of my favorite songs.
Fastball's got some really catchy tunes like the Way, Fire Escape and Outta My Head that mix piano and soft rock with some more bluesy influences.

The Black Crowes are a great band, but only She Talks To Angels and Hard to handle get radio play. Remedy, Jealous Again, Kickin' my Heart Around and Twice as Hard are great songs too.

There are a few artists with cult-like followings that have a couple of really popular songs, like King Crimson, the Spin Doctors, Jamiroquai, Caroline's Spine, the Brian Setzer Orchestra, The Stray Cats, Flogging Molly, Kaiser Chiefs, Streetlight Manifesto and Chic

But MOST underrated? Gotta go with either Candlebox or The Primitive Radio Gods. I consistently can get into all the songs from both of those band pretty easily.
The Pretty Reckless

Damn, that is some good stuff!!!
Dean Dave Mustaine VMNTX electric (Black)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro electric (Ebony w/ gold)
Orange Micro Terror 20W Hybrid amp head
Orange Crush Pro 120W amp head
Kustom 4x12 cabinet
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Power Supply
Korg Pitchblack Chromatic Pedal Tuner
Electro-Harmonix XO Metal Muff
MXR M-103 Blue Box
TC Electronic Dark Matter
TC Electronic Fangs Metal
All of these different bands...and I've listened to the vast majority of them ;_; yet they are all pretty much underrated. It's not fair

-Sharky
Scott Biram. Technically he's a "one man band", but the guy straight up kicks ass. He does some great tearjerker ballads if you are into country, he nails the blues, and he does some pretty badass rock and roll. A helluva picker too and believe me the boy can belt it out. I never ever heard of the guy until I started surfing youtube seriously last year. Check these out. My apologies if Scott isn't an "unknown" to you guys, I don't listen to the radio except for talk radio anymore, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADgCYjAtRUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIa7rH350rM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1RXSr8JtWY
Quote by TobusRex
Scott Biram. Technically he's a "one man band", but the guy straight up kicks ass.

Damn, that was good. Im gonna keep up with the one man band trend then!

Straight out of a swedish forest came a tall man with a guitar and a small drumset. His name is Daniel Norgren and he is as tall as he is talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc7JoF--M1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAWiQDHC_qo

From another forest in Sweden came another man, who calls himself The Tallest Man on Earth. Ironically, he is not that tall. He had no drumset, but he had a guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9zR5yTETc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wvkt6R39pw

Aaaand i broke the 1 band rule.
SNUS ÅT FOLKET!
In the begining everything goes good, and then it goes bad, and after that it goes good again and then you die in a bus crash - Axel Sjöberg
Last edited by jontejonasson at Feb 15, 2016,
Most underrated band of all time has got to be the Monkeys, or the Mosquitoes.

Honorable mentions;
Rainbow
Supertramp
Cars
Ratt
Toad the wet sprocket
Pink Floyd
Flying in a blue dream
Quote by SanDune65
Most underrated band of all time has got to be the Monkeys, or the Mosquitoes.

Honorable mentions;
Rainbow
Supertramp
Cars
Ratt
Toad the wet sprocket
Pink Floyd

Tim Buckley
Bass Drum of death I feel has a great sound and people should listen to it more
You're biggest fan
Soul Coughing and Morphine
they were really really unique and yet never found too much mainstream success
no bands before them nor after them have done exactly what they did
I feel like most of the bands I like are underrated but for more recent bands I really like Kurt Vile and Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Both really unique sounds in totally different ways.

Quote by TobusRex
Scott Biram. Technically he's a "one man band", but the guy straight up kicks ass. He does some great tearjerker ballads if you are into country, he nails the blues, and he does some pretty badass rock and roll. A helluva picker too and believe me the boy can belt it out. I never ever heard of the guy until I started surfing youtube seriously last year. Check these out. My apologies if Scott isn't an "unknown" to you guys, I don't listen to the radio except for talk radio anymore, so I'm a bit out of the loop.

ADgCYjAtRUY

WIa7rH350rM

c1RXSr8JtWY

Yep I have seen him a couple times and he's amazing live too and both times I saw him he drank a lot...dunno how he can play so well with all those drinks
Quote by bptrav
I feel like most of the bands I like are underrated but for more recent bands I really like Kurt Vile and Unknown Mortal Orchestra. Both really unique sounds in totally different ways.

Yep I have seen him a couple times and he's amazing live too and both times I saw him he drank a lot...dunno how he can play so well with all those drinks

Hehe... I sent him a message on Facebook offering to buy the beer if he comes to Las Cruces
Hole -
A lot of people seem to dismiss them because... well... Courtney Love is in it (and we know how many people think of Courtney Love). But honestly, they kinda rock. Celebrity Skin and Live Through This are both amazing albums. The only thing riding on Cobain's coat tails was maybe the fame (or in-fame?). But the music CERTAINLY WASN'T
Das Dritte Ohr.

incredible harp, most incredible voice, incredible guitar....INCREDIBLE BLUES
Quote by ScarOfTheWind
Hole -
A lot of people seem to dismiss them because... well... Courtney Love is in it (and we know how many people think of Courtney Love). But honestly, they kinda rock. Celebrity Skin and Live Through This are both amazing albums. The only thing riding on Cobain's coat tails was maybe the fame (or in-fame?). But the music CERTAINLY WASN'T

Yeah I actually enjoy Hole a fair bit.