Hey guys. Just recently (less than a week ago) just got a used single rec. It's been working flawlessly, sounds perfect. I just now plugged in my TC Electronic G Major into the fx loop to try out some effects and stuff. Made sure everything was connected correctly, which it was. No sound. So I turned all the volumes up, nothing. Fx mix was at the max on the head, nothing. Turned the output volume on the rec up and all the sudden the power tubes sparked and the amp died. Can someone please explain what happened, and how I can prevent this from happening again? And is this more than a simple tube and fuse replacement?
Please tell me this isn't serious. I spent a fortune on it.
What happens if you try to plug straight into the amp now, and turn it on? Is it dead??
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Well, I'd start with the fuse first, and see if that does the trick. I'm not really sure how a pedal in the effect loop would cause you to blow a tube or fuse really.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
You sure it's only a fuse thing? I saw a huge blue flash from the back
It is possible it was just the time for something to blow, the fuse or power tubes or whatnot. It is good practice to have at least one spare preamp to troubleshoot and a matched set of power tubes. I think Mesa likes for you to buy their coded versions.
you should never ever turn the master all the way up if there is no sound coming out of the amp when you think there should be.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by red.guitar
Well, I'd start with the fuse first, and see if that does the trick. I'm not really sure how a pedal in the effect loop would cause you to blow a tube or fuse really.

I occasionally do amp repair.
I often plug the guitar (sometime with some modulation pedal for better impedance) into the FX return to see if I can isolate if the problem is in the pre amp section or the power amp section.
But always keep the volume low.
Hasn't failed me yet.
In fact, its helped me on my current repair job.

Oh, and usually, one of the pre amp tubes drives the FX loop.
That may be one of your problems.

Edit:
And what AcousticMirror said x1000000000000000000000000000000000000
Last edited by CodeMonk at Dec 18, 2015,