Hi people.

About a month ago I got my first valve amp head and cab, upgrading from a line 6 Spider 75-and I love it.

I have got a tuner pedal, and a boss CE-5 pedal, today I got a PSU for pedals.

I was thinking after someone mentioned-instead of buying loads of pedals, why not get a multi effects pedal?

It needs to be fairly simple to use, as I do have some brain damage, and get confused easier than I did before it happened.

So, my budget is around £100, is there any worthwhile MultiFX I can get that will give me various effects in one pedal?

I can stretch to more-but ideally £100 would be good-max £150.

So, what would you recommend as an easy to use, Multi FX pedal? Am I correct in thinking I can use more than one effect at once, like I would chain my pedals together?

Also-the sound quality. Is there a major sound difference between a recommended Multi FX compared to a dedicated pedal? As I have bought the amp for sound quality, which it had compared to my spider, much, much better. So I want to keep it that way really.

Thank you everyone that can help-Conan.
I have found something called a zoom G3 that is on budget-now do I go for the standard G3, or the g3X?

I have a new interface for recording, so dont need that-but is there any other improvements, or should I save my money and go for the G3?

EDIT: I think I answered my own question-I want the foot pedal on the right, so the slightly more expensive one.

Now I just need to know is this a good Multi FX to use?

Or is the G5 worth the extra? I can get it if it is a good one.

EDIT 2: If it is better to get good pedals instead of a Multi FX, that is cool, as I can afford one every few weeks, but the multiFX seems a good idea.

I just need to know if it is with a valve amp or not really.
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Dec 19, 2015,
Give the multi-fx a try in a shop if you can. Zoom make good ones so I'm sure it won't suck
ZEN JUDDHISM
The new solo project, and spiritual philosophy... Album out now !
----------------------------------------------------------
hybrid 6.0
Debut album 'Silent Destruction' out now
Read the Two Guys Metal review here
My go-to advice is to get a multi-effects unit for delays, reverbs, and other such modulations.

But leave drive/overdrive/distortion/fuzz and compression (and some pitch effects) to standalone boxes. Put those units into the front input of the amp (yes you can chain them together). Put the multi-effects in the effects loop of the amp.

So +1 to the Zoom G3 as far as the multi is concerned. Great starter unit that has professional use. If you want an expression pedal for Wah or some pitch effects the Zoom G3X is the same thing but with an expression pedal built in.
Last edited by Will Lane at Dec 18, 2015,
I would suggest a different route - look up the Vox Tonelab range of multifx. I think they sound much more organic than the Zoom and everything is ready to be dialed with the knobs, so you won't have to learn much.
Another suggestion would be Boss Me range - same thing, all knobs, like setting an amp.
If you can find one, the Boss ME50 is a kickass, dirt cheap mfx. I have the G3 too, its also very good. If you want a looper, drum beats, amp models, I'd say go with the G3. If you want better live tone/sound q, and simplicity, the ME50 is better. Hell, I can even get a good crunchy distortion tone with the ME50, which is rare with cheap mfx.

Also check out the Line 6 M series, if you don't need a looper or amp models.
Fender Mustang/Derfenstein DST> Boss Power Wah> Pedal Monsters Klone> Bogner Uberschall> Walrus Audio Janus> Randall RM20> Line 6 M9> Randall RM20
OK, it seems like a good idea then.

I keep my pedals out front, and whack the multiFX unit into the effects loop?

I won't be able to buy this untill a few days after christmas (I thought I lost my phone and bankcard yesterday, so cancelled my cards. It was on the couch. Thats just an example of my mind now, and I wont be able to order till a new card comes. They said the 22ND, but I don't know if it will be that quick with royal mail this time of year).

If I am honest-the main pedal I want is a noise gate! My valve amp gets quite loud loud, humming and feedback a lot easier than my modelling amp. Something I have to get used too-but with a noise gate, I can control a noise below a certain level getting through can't I? As if the volume on my guitar is turned right down, there is no 'gain noise'.

So, I am wondering if I even NEED a multi FX now, as it is only a few pedals I want. Mainly the noise gate, it picks up string noise a lot more than my old amp, I thought I had it well muted but with my new amp sounds get through, even tapping is much easier due to not having to do it so hard!

I will think of this over christmas.

If I DON"T spend up to £125 on a multi FX, are there recommended noise gates? As I don't need distortion with the amp I have got, it has TOOO much gain, I never use it at full that would be insanity. 1 o Clock is about the most I use it at now I have got to know it.

Thanks for your help everyone. It's a bit new to me with a valve amp-plus I have no friends that play, and my local guitar shop were idiots with the blackstar amp, I went back in to get some strings and they was talking about me, thinking I had gone, and the person who sold me the amp said "I didn't expect to get over £600 out of him that easily", I said I am still here, and they sort of all stopped and moved, acting a bit weird like when you know they have been talking about you-so I won't go to the local shop as they are pillocks at the moment. When there is new staff, I will.
I am going to go for the G5, sod it, might as well treat myself. If I don't like it, I will whack it on ebay.

Will the amp models be useful on a valve amp or not?

I want it for the effects really and other stuff, but if they work with my amp that would be an even bigger bonus.
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Dec 23, 2015,
I'd probably use the distortion from the valve amp, as the amp will sound better for that purpose.
Problem with multifx and an amp will be the fact that if you stick it up front you won't get to use the delays, reverb and other modulation as they will garble on they hit the amp distortion.

If you put it in fx loop then some other things won't, like wah, compression and fuzz for example.

I run my Boss GT-10 in 4 cable mode, wrapping it around the amp so there is a front and a fx loop section and I get to put the effects that I want in each one. Unfortunately, there are on few multifx units that can do that. As far as I know from the ones on the market the Boss GT-100 and Line6 HD500 and I think TC G-System can do the 4 cable method.

If you're thinking noise gate - MXR Smart Gate is great, ISP Decimator or the regular Boss NS-2 will do.
Quote by Warrior2014
Hi people.

About a month ago I got my first valve amp head and cab, upgrading from a line 6 Spider 75-and I love it.

I have got a tuner pedal, and a boss CE-5 pedal, today I got a PSU for pedals.

I was thinking after someone mentioned-instead of buying loads of pedals, why not get a multi effects pedal?

It needs to be fairly simple to use, as I do have some brain damage, and get confused easier than I did before it happened.

So, my budget is around £100, is there any worthwhile MultiFX I can get that will give me various effects in one pedal?

I can stretch to more-but ideally £100 would be good-max £150.

So, what would you recommend as an easy to use, Multi FX pedal? Am I correct in thinking I can use more than one effect at once, like I would chain my pedals together?

Also-the sound quality. Is there a major sound difference between a recommended Multi FX compared to a dedicated pedal? As I have bought the amp for sound quality, which it had compared to my spider, much, much better. So I want to keep it that way really.

Thank you everyone that can help-Conan.

Avoid cheap multi-FX - the whole point of having a valve amp is to have better tone, but if you just stick a cheap digital pedal in front of it you're negating all the benefit - it's going to suck your tone. Whatever you do, make sure you test out the multi-fx thoroughly to make sure it isn't corrupting your basic tone - you do this by playing directly plugged into the amp and then plugging into your multi-fx and bypassing it to see if, when turned off, it affects the tone negatively ( lower volume, less dynamic range, sucks highs or lows etc.) - and then test how it sounds generally.

In my experience multi-fx , unless you're going with some higher end models like Eventide, will suck your tone.
As a G3 owner:

A G3/G5 with effects and models off shouldn't do anything at all to your signal. I tried it and I couldn't hear a difference personally.

You say you want a noise gate? The Zoom has two different kinds. A lot of people like the ZNR gate. The other noise gate on the Zoom is more conventional, but I keep going back to the ZNR effect myself.

The G5 has a handful of additional effects that aren't available on the G3. The exciter effect is one of them and it's supposed to be pretty cool.

A lot of the people who don't like the G3/G5 pedals just didn't use it enough. The Zoom does not model the natural operation of any of the devices. The distortion pedal models -for example - may have a range from 1-100 but you can't set them at 100 without making them sound really ratty and terrible. It's better if you imagine that the usable range goes from 1 - 30 and all the rest is extra.
Quote by diabolical
I'd probably use the distortion from the valve amp, as the amp will sound better for that purpose.
Problem with multifx and an amp will be the fact that if you stick it up front you won't get to use the delays, reverb and other modulation as they will garble on they hit the amp distortion.

If you put it in fx loop then some other things won't, like wah, compression and fuzz for example.

I run my Boss GT-10 in 4 cable mode, wrapping it around the amp so there is a front and a fx loop section and I get to put the effects that I want in each one. Unfortunately, there are on few multifx units that can do that. As far as I know from the ones on the market the Boss GT-100 and Line6 HD500 and I think TC G-System can do the 4 cable method.

If you're thinking noise gate - MXR Smart Gate is great, ISP Decimator or the regular Boss NS-2 will do.

I want to use it for dual purposes though-I also have a home studio set up now, so the amp models seemed sensible for home recording purposes. If I find it sucks tone from my amp-it will still have a use .
Quote by paul.housley.7
As a G3 owner:

A G3/G5 with effects and models off shouldn't do anything at all to your signal. I tried it and I couldn't hear a difference personally.

You say you want a noise gate? The Zoom has two different kinds. A lot of people like the ZNR gate. The other noise gate on the Zoom is more conventional, but I keep going back to the ZNR effect myself.

The G5 has a handful of additional effects that aren't available on the G3. The exciter effect is one of them and it's supposed to be pretty cool.

A lot of the people who don't like the G3/G5 pedals just didn't use it enough. The Zoom does not model the natural operation of any of the devices. The distortion pedal models -for example - may have a range from 1-100 but you can't set them at 100 without making them sound really ratty and terrible. It's better if you imagine that the usable range goes from 1 - 30 and all the rest is extra.

Ahh thats good to hear. It should be arriving tomorrow, Via DHL. I am going to use it on the Amp-and if I find it sucks the tone out, there is no issue, as I also have a home recording studio set up now and the amp models will be very handy for recording my songs. (I mainly make grime, which seems bizzarre as it is not something most metalheads like, but I want to include some nice dirty riffs into my tracks, then vocal them.

In my teens I actually did quite well on the vocaling side, and missed a few oppurtunities I wish I didn't, but due to my past alcoholism I didn't bother, thinking the person was unknown, then it turns out they become massive on the scene.

It's happened before, so could happen again, but I would be happy just making music in my bedroom, and also playing along to my favourite tracks .
I'm interested in hearing your opinion too. Please share with us.

And remember to ask for help if you don't like it at first. There's quite a few ways to make the Zoom sound crappy, but once you learn what it can't do I think you'll really like it for the things that it can do.
HI everyone.

It arrived today . I had a play this morning, and I like it, I am currently running it infront of the amp, but it seems to add a reverb effect that is NOT a preset, if I put it in the effects loop of my amp would it remove this?

Apart from that, I have only tried some basic things, like a noise gate, some chorus and a wah setting (I like that one), But it definitely adds a reverb to the tone.

I have not tried putting it in the back, as the missus has been round, she is going soon so I will have a go at putting it in the back through the FX loop.

I have looked through the instructions-god, there is a LOT it can do.

Overall I am impressed, if I can get rid of the reverb effect I will be VERY happy, it's not a preset, So maybe putting it in the effects loop will be the best, then just my guitar straight in front?

I also like the fact the boost is actually using a valve, a 12AX7 if I remember correctly(Or 12BH7, I will have to check the manual, that you can see .

Also-I noticed it has stereo output. I am using mono, as I don't have a cable, I guess that is for other things though, such as my interface, and not for the amp.

Thanks everyone, Conan.

EDIT: I have read that not all effects will work if in the effects loop, so I guess it will be out front. Anyone got any idea on the reverb it seems to be adding, even with all effects off? Its not a HUGE amount, but its enough to know it is there.
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Dec 30, 2015,
Ok I have worked it out!

You press total, and I did not realise it was on a reverrb effect patch, now I have a clean patch and there is not really a noticeable difference, which is exactly what I wanted with effects off.

Happy. Had to read through the instructions though to find that, I guess I will need to learn this, it is very in depth.
Sounds great.
Yes, here are some tips off the top of my head.

1. The boost valve gets bypassed (unavoidable) if you record direct through the USB. I've noticed a few people got hung up about that.
2. In the global menu you can change the output mode and reverse the signal path. Output mode is important. I personally haven't liked direct mode in any application yet. I'm using stack front atm. Pick the one that sounds best.
3. It sounds like your pedal was set to turn the reverb on/off.
4. Don't forget that you've got an active/passive pickup selector button on the back.
5. Try to keep global and total level controls at 100. That's unity and you'll have the best results if you keep them set there. Turn the amp level down if you need volume reduction.
6. I have learned to always turn gain and "tube" settings way down at first, and to only turn them back up if I need it.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Sounds great.
Yes, here are some tips off the top of my head.

1. The boost valve gets bypassed (unavoidable) if you record direct through the USB. I've noticed a few people got hung up about that.
2. In the global menu you can change the output mode and reverse the signal path. Output mode is important. I personally haven't liked direct mode in any application yet. I'm using stack front atm. Pick the one that sounds best.
3. It sounds like your pedal was set to turn the reverb on/off.
4. Don't forget that you've got an active/passive pickup selector button on the back.
5. Try to keep global and total level controls at 100. That's unity and you'll have the best results if you keep them set there. Turn the amp level down if you need volume reduction.
6. I have learned to always turn gain and "tube" settings way down at first, and to only turn them back up if I need it.

Thank you for the guide .

I tried it today recording, and this is where it REALLY shines. I recorded into logic 10, and got a very nice, distorted sound from a patch, and really it is for my studio, but being able to use it with my amp helps.

I read the instructions, and realised WHY it sounded awful in the FX loop-you choose in the menu, well hidden away if you are connecting to a Interface, a combo amp, a amp head, in the effects loop, and it changes the way it is set.

I have it set up correctly now for an amp head and now I have removed the reverb (It was a patch, I did not realise that the whole thing had to run a patch with different effects, I thought it was a blank sheet you could add your own too).

Mine was sent to something called MS reverb and had LOTS of reverb effects added, that I couldn't see unless I pressed TOTAL, then it showed me all the effects being used, there was about 5 I was unaware of.

I found one that was pretty much clean, and have changed it to how I want it, and now it works well with amp and interface .

I knew about the active/passive pickup button on the back, I am set to passive as I have no other pedals in the chain and am using passive pickups, according to the instructions.

I did qualify a Music production course in my teens-since then though I have been a alcoholic drug addict, I have been clean for nearly two years but my memory is ruined as when I detoxed I had a bad withdrawal seizure and Delirium tremens (Hallucinations, auditory and visual) that left some lasting damage.

I remember my BASIC way around logic, and have managed to create a track(Work in progress, it is a grime track not metal, but I do plan on recording my own stuff guitar wise now I can), and the zoom G5 gets a thumbs up for me, but it is VERY in depth, and you may not realise WHY you are getting certain effects till you go into the total menu, and see you have 5 effects you did not realise where there, that do not show on the 4 main screens, those are the ones you choose, the patch has its own.

But, I have found a patch that sounds good, and it works well with my amp, and also very well with my interface.

Occasionally, I probably WILL use my amp just direct to guitar, as my amps distortion is very nice to my ears, but a lot of the time I will also use the Zoom G5 with my amp.

EDIT: Sorry if I repeated myself, I have trouble writing and forget what I have written due to the damage and sometimes repeat myself. Apologies there.
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Dec 31, 2015,
Quote by Warrior2014
Mine was sent to something called MS reverb and had LOTS of reverb effects added, that I couldn't see unless I pressed TOTAL, then it showed me all the effects being used, there was about 5 I was unaware of.
There are more FX available to a patch than the displays can show. You need to use the "scroll" buttons to shift the FX chain to see the reverb stomp. You can turn on/off or adjust any stomp when it's visible on the display. So if a patch has too much reverb simply use the scroll button to bring the reverb stomp into view and adjust it to your liking.
Awesome.

You can also set each slot to be empty. There's 120-ish effects but the 121st will be just a pass-through.
There's up to nine slots in each patch, but you can only see four of them at a time. Scroll left and right to reveal the other pedal slots. Scroll up and down to select other patches.
Quote by paul.housley.7
Awesome.

You can also set each slot to be empty. There's 120-ish effects but the 121st will be just a pass-through.
There's up to nine slots in each patch, but you can only see four of them at a time. Scroll left and right to reveal the other pedal slots. Scroll up and down to select other patches.

Thanks man. It really shines in recording, also the way its set up now sounds good, but I would like a clean sheet to build on-is there an empty patch on there that you can create yourself? As I notice you can choose individual effects, or choose a whole patch that uses from 1-9 effects itself, but the patch is always in the background, you are adding effects to the patch, that is why I had so much reverb at first as it was on a massive reverb patch, only realising when I read the big instruction manual the total button, which shows you the patch being used and all its effects.

I will have to get more used to it, but ideally a blank, complete pass thru patch would be great, that I can set up myself to use, I am quite surprised at the moment that it actually sounds very decent.

The noise gate is great, I just need to figure out how to let notes sustain, I understand adjusting one parameter adjusts the level the noise gate kicks in at, but it is a dead cut out, like a note will be ringing out at the end of a song, then before it fades it harshly cuts off.

Is there a way to make it more of a smoother cut off, instead of a dead cutoff?

Thanks for your help
Last edited by Warrior2014 at Dec 31, 2015,
A patch is just a collection of up to nine effects. If you set every effect in a patch to be a pass-through then you'll have a patch with no effects. I'm guessing that you haven't changed the patch yet? Any patch can be changed to be completely clean.

As for the noise gate - that's pretty much how they work in my experience. A higher setting is quieter, but more abrupt.